The Prospect/Amateur Thread - Where It's A Brand New Season

ramssuperbowl99

https://sportsday.dallasnews.com/texas-rangers/rangers/2017/08/18/willie-calhoun-jr-gem-yu-darvish-deal-needed-visit-notorious-california-prison-rediscover-baseball

Really good article about Willie Calhoun and how he almost gave baseball up 3 years ago. Also thought this quote was awesome regarding his defense:

When asked by a scout several years ago his best position on the field, Calhoun responded: "I play three hole," referring to the spot often saved for a lineup's most dangerous hitter.

"I was serious, too," Calhoun said. "And not that much has changed."

Did anyone know anything about TX OF Canaan Smith in this past draft? Yankees took him, and he's walking a crazy amount, just like he did in HS (think he was in the top 10 all-time for walks in a single season). Coming into today, his BB% was 18.3%, and he just added 3 more in 6 PAs today. Up to .288/.427/.390 on the year, and in his last 10 games, he's batting .472 and has 10 walks to 8 strikeouts. Think he's a corner outfielder long-term, but he must have a heck of an eye.

Edited by JammerHammer21

14 minutes ago, JammerHammer21 said:

Did anyone know anything about TX OF Canaan Smith in this past draft? Yankees took him, and he's walking a crazy amount, just like he did in HS (think he was in the top 10 all-time for walks in a single season). Coming into today, his BB% was 18.3%, and he just added 3 more in 6 PAs today. Up to .288/.427/.390 on the year, and in his last 10 games, he's batting .472 and has 10 walks to 8 strikeouts. Think he's a corner outfielder long-term, but he must have a heck of an eye.

55 bat speed, flat swing with a little bat control. Not enough there to see the approach, but he might just not be a natural "get your hacks in" kind of guy more than having a great natural eye. 

And yeah, that little beefcake is gonna need to go to a corner.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, NewAge said:

Seems like he's a catcher?

I know the name but not much about him. 

He was, but I think he was always going to move off the position

Thanks for the input, Rams. Hoping some video will come along at some point to see what he looks like now, but a promising start so far.

Edited by JammerHammer21

Daz Cameron finally starting to pop.  Nearly a 1.000 OPS the last two months while the strikeout rate has reduced and the walk rate has increased.  Defense still really good and he is only 20 years old, he might sneak his way onto some top 100s going into next season.

Good thing is that the Astros can take it slow with him as they are absolutely loaded with quality OF prospects.

On ‎8‎/‎18‎/‎2017 at 5:27 PM, CAS22 said:

My obvious bias here but I think Whitley's advanced pitchability puts him near or at the top of the SP prospect lists.  I, for one, did not think he was this far along in regards to his pitch mix and command. 

His change up is devastating. 

Told you he was a much better prospect than Perez. No disrespect to Perez or anything but Whitley is the complete package. He has everything you look for when describing an ace.

1 hour ago, devils1854 said:

Luiz Gohara expected to be brought up when rosters expand next week.

Keith Law also expects Acuna to be up within a week.

Excited.. My patience and rejecting offer after offer in numerous fantasy leagues for Acuna is about to pay off.