The Prospect/Amateur Thread - Where It's A Brand New Season

ramssuperbowl99

On 3/13/2018 at 5:51 AM, Thelonebillsfan said:

The splitter isn't a kiss of death pitch for elbows so much anymore as long as you are mechanically sound and it's repeatable for you. Biggest issue is how hard is he throwing it, will he overthrow ahead in a count to make it dance a little more, how much strain does his motion put on the pitch, etc etc. If he can throw it now with low stress it shouldn't be so bad.

He's already had multiple forearm issues, so I'm guessing his mechanics with it are not the best.

3 hours ago, JammerHammer21 said:

Eff this in general, although I honestly don't care about minor league wins and losses.  It better not ever reach the MLB level.

On 3/16/2018 at 11:09 AM, THE DUKE said:

Hunter Greene made his first spring training start.  Sat 98-99, Hit 101, 2 IP, 4 K, 1 BB, 0 H.  Slider was generating some buzz too.

Kid is still 18 until August.

It's gonna be fascinating to follow this kid. He has infinite potential but he's at the "shown feel for a plus curveball" stage.

So many potential outcomes

On 3/16/2018 at 10:09 AM, THE DUKE said:

Hunter Greene made his first spring training start.  Sat 98-99, Hit 101, 2 IP, 4 K, 1 BB, 0 H.  Slider was generating some buzz too.

Kid is still 18 until August.

Quoting again for emphasis:

On 3/16/2018 at 10:09 AM, THE DUKE said:

Sat 98-99

That's insanity.

I honestly don't care that much about the secondaries as long as they move a little bit. Hitters are going to have to react so soon that they'll all play up like crazy.

He thrown any changeups yet?

3 hours ago, hrubes20 said:

Brady Singer continues to drop like a rock.  Arkansas worked him over last Friday and he was sitting 91-92.  On the other hand, Jonathan India is continuing to see his stock rise for the UF squad.  

I’ve had Singer as a mid-late first rounder since last year (11-20 range most likely). India has probably moved up from a third to second rounder for me though. 

1 hour ago, NewAge said:

I’ve had Singer as a mid-late first rounder since last year (11-20 range most likely). India has probably moved up from a third to second rounder for me though. 

It stinks that India isn't getting reps at SS.  I know he was looked at as a 2B/3B anyway, but it would have been nice to see him stay at SS just a little bit longer to see if he could wind up passable there.

1 hour ago, hrubes20 said:

It stinks that India isn't getting reps at SS.  I know he was looked at as a 2B/3B anyway, but it would have been nice to see him stay at SS just a little bit longer to see if he could wind up passable there.

He played there a good bit while Liput was suspended. 

19 hours ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Quoting again for emphasis:

That's insanity.

I honestly don't care that much about the secondaries as long as they move a little bit. Hitters are going to have to react so soon that they'll all play up like crazy.

He thrown any changeups yet?

Changeup is actually looking good.  He's throwing 4 pitches right now.  In his last start the fastball was 97-99, hit 101, slider was a little faster than it had been working 87-89, changeup was 89-91, and his curveball was around 80.  The curveball was average, but he was still throwing it for strikes.  The slider flashes plus and has been above average, the changeup above average with some still projecting it as a possible plus.  Greene has been everything the Reds could have hoped so far this spring.  The delivery is so easy too, which is the crazy thing.  He isn't throwing max effort, and he's repeating his mechanics very well. 

He'll probably start in EST until the weather warms up a bit so they can limit his innings this year (probably in the 100-110 IP range) but he'll start out in Low A Dayton likely in early May.

Edited by THE DUKE