The Prospect/Amateur Thread - Where It's A Brand New Season

ramssuperbowl99

44 minutes ago, holt_bruce81 said:

So I know Nothing about these guys, so please go easy on me, but....

1. I thought Seth Beer was supposed to be the next superstar hitter that came out of this draft, was that not the talk at this time last year? Or am I totally Thinking of someone else? 

2. Any names on that list that you see as a cardinal type pick?

Beer has no position, and he hasnt been as good as he was his freshman year.

Jackson Kowar, Florida

Love that Hankins is sliding a little because of his injury. Let him be there at #8 when the Braves pick.

• Like 1

SSS but Sean Murphy is slaying AA ball right now. If his bat keeps producing, he's going to rise up the ranks. Legitimate backstop with that kind of bat is rare. 

Not sure what to expect from him though. Posted a .297/.343/.527 line with 9 HR, 11 2B, .230 ISO and a 130 wRC+ in high A (45 games) in 2017 but struggled once he got up to AA. 

8 hours ago, bkobow05 said:

SSS but Sean Murphy is slaying AA ball right now. If his bat keeps producing, he's going to rise up the ranks. Legitimate backstop with that kind of bat is rare. 

Not sure what to expect from him though. Posted a .297/.343/.527 line with 9 HR, 11 2B, .230 ISO and a 130 wRC+ in high A (45 games) in 2017 but struggled once he got up to AA. 

The power and defense are real.  If he hits for enough contact, he could be an all star.

12 hours ago, bkobow05 said:

I'm a fan.

15 hours ago, devils1854 said:

https://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/2018-mlb-mock-draft-v-1-0/

Top 10 Mock

I'll be pissed if the Braves take Rocker. Ill take about anyone but him. If we are going with a Georgia prep and Hankins has too many question marks, then give me the younger Meadows.

What don't you like about Rocker?  Is it just the money thing?  

On 4/19/2018 at 8:53 PM, bkobow05 said:

He is the future for us at C for sure. Wonder if we try to keep Lucroy around for another year to fill the gap. 

On another A's related note, Jesus Lazardo was promoted to AA after just 3 starts. He had 25Ks in just 14.2 IP. 5:1 K/BB. Only 2 ER given up in a very hitter friendly league. It's really interesting to see the A's be so aggressive with him. They usually don't promote guys this fast and I think he is like the 4th pitcher we've ever had at AA who is Age 20 or below. 

On 4/20/2018 at 2:12 PM, devils1854 said:

Straight fastball, dont think he has any feel for a offspeed pitch, and his body is going to get bad as he ages. 

It straightens out at 98, but he has some sink at 93-95 in the video I've seen. Have you seen his slider this year?  I know he had a fringy curve for awhile, but the recent reports I've read say he has been using a "wipeout" slider.  I don't think he's Tyler Kolek.

11 minutes ago, Mr. bDoDDleS said:

Austin Riley in AA (64 games) .332/.400/.570 - 11 HR - 24.5 K% - 9.4 BB% 

Braves should have a fun top 4 for next few years. Albies - Acuna - Freeman - Riley

Ive touched on this in the Braves thread, but I saw Riley live a week ago, and he still has somewhat of a hole in his swing. He misses a lot of fastballs.

I think he is a starting MLB third baseman, but he isnt going to hit for a high average, not going to walk too much, but will probably be a 25+ HR guy.