The Prospect/Amateur Thread - Where It's A Brand New Season

ramssuperbowl99

20 hours ago, NewAge said:

I’ve had Singer as a mid-late first rounder since last year (11-20 range most likely). India has probably moved up from a third to second rounder for me though. 

I've never been that high on Singer either, but he's fairly consistent.  He likely still goes top 10 I think.  I'd rather have Kowar.  If you can get him to improve his control a bit, his raw stuff is better, and I like his delivery (when it's right) better as well.  Kowar just doesn't have that consistency.

I think you're selling India short, the tools have always been there, he's just putting it all together now.  I'd say mid first round, possibly higher if he doesn't have a big slump.  A Benintendi-like rise in his last college season, except he is OPS'ing 200 points higher than Beni was if he can maintain his current insane pace.  Not out of the realm of possibility, India's .356 BABIP isn't that crazy for a college hitter (Beni's 2015 BABIP was .361)

10 minutes ago, THE DUKE said:

I've never been that high on Singer either, but he's fairly consistent.  He likely still goes top 10 I think.  I'd rather have Kowar.  If you can get him to improve his control a bit, his raw stuff is better, and I like his delivery (when it's right) better as well.  Kowar just doesn't have that consistency.

I think you're selling India short, the tools have always been there, he's just putting it all together now.  I'd say mid first round, possibly higher if he doesn't have a big slump.  A Benintendi-like rise in his last college season, except he is OPS'ing 200 points higher than Beni was if he can maintain his current insane pace.  Not out of the realm of possibility, India's .356 BABIP isn't that crazy for a college hitter (Beni's 2015 BABIP was .361)

I think India might be a better prospect than Warmoth, but this is a better draft and I also wouldn't have taken Warmoth as high as the Jays did. Think he's a top 50 or so pick, as a low risk 4/5. 

3 hours ago, THE DUKE said:

Changeup is actually looking good.  He's throwing 4 pitches right now.  In his last start the fastball was 97-99, hit 101, slider was a little faster than it had been working 87-89, changeup was 89-91, and his curveball was around 80.  The curveball was average, but he was still throwing it for strikes.  The slider flashes plus and has been above average, the changeup above average with some still projecting it as a possible plus.  Greene has been everything the Reds could have hoped so far this spring.  The delivery is so easy too, which is the crazy thing.  He isn't throwing max effort, and he's repeating his mechanics very well. 

He'll probably start in EST until the weather warms up a bit so they can limit his innings this year (probably in the 100-110 IP range) but he'll start out in Low A Dayton likely in early May.

Yeah that's dirty. Some really, really bad swings in that video. He's gonna be a top 5/10 prospect in baseball by the end of the year.

26 minutes ago, THE DUKE said:

That stinks for A's fans.

Starting to think I'm fantasy cursed.  My 3 keepers for minor league pitchers: Brent Honeywell, Forrest Whitley, and AJ Puk.

You should pick up Alex Reyes, Jack Flaherty, and Luke Weaver.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, NewAge said:

I think India might be a better prospect than Warmoth, but this is a better draft and I also wouldn't have taken Warmoth as high as the Jays did. Think he's a top 50 or so pick, as a low risk 4/5. 

Better draft for arms, I'm not sold on the bats in this draft though.  Gorman is looking more and more like a 1B/DH, De Sedas has been meh, Turang is playing well, but he's so skinny that power is likely never a big part of his game.  Kelennic might end up as the best HS bat in this draft I think, and he's no lock to stay in CF.  On the college side there are just good bats, no elite ones.

Crazy deep for arms this year though, even if the top HS guys don't match Greene/Gore, there are guys who will go late 1st early 2nd this year that could have gone mid 1st last year.  College side is deep as well, and Mize is proving he might be elite with his pitches and plus command.

Also think India has a grade better power than Warmouth as well.

32 minutes ago, THE DUKE said:

Better draft for arms, I'm not sold on the bats in this draft though.  Gorman is looking more and more like a 1B/DH, De Sedas has been meh, Turang is playing well, but he's so skinny that power is likely never a big part of his game.  Kelennic might end up as the best HS bat in this draft I think, and he's no lock to stay in CF.  On the college side there are just good bats, no elite ones.

Crazy deep for arms this year though, even if the top HS guys don't match Greene/Gore, there are guys who will go late 1st early 2nd this year that could have gone mid 1st last year.  College side is deep as well, and Mize is proving he might be elite with his pitches and plus command.

Also think India has a grade better power than Warmouth as well.

It’s a much better draft for college bats. Neither class was great for prep bats. I’m not alone in thinking it’s the best college bat class since at least 2014, maybe longer.  

Not using hindsight here since Hiura would go top 3 in a 2017 redraft right now, I’d take at least three college bats in this year’s draft (Madrigal, Jenista, Swaggerty) over any in last year’s draft. And you could make an argument for a fourth (Eierman or Conine). 

Edited by NewAge

1 minute ago, NewAge said:

It’s a much better draft for college bats. Neither class was great for prep bats. 

It's deep, but I'm not sure there are any real difference makers.  If Madrigal is 100% and can play SS, that's pretty interesting (I think he can be 70 hit, 50 power despite his size), but a lot of the other top guys I think are a little over hyped. Eierman has picked it up a bit after his slow start, although there is doubt about him staying at SS (some believe though, I know Aaron Fitt is a big believer the D will play), Conine has been bad, Jenista has been as expected, but that body isn't going to age well.  Bohm has been good, Swaggerty is coming back down to earth after a hot start, Bart has been good, but it'll definitely be the bat that carries his value as a C.  Beer is hitting .243 and is likely a 1B.  Baker has just been solid.  Lots of depth, but I don't know if any are elite.  Even if India destroys all season, some will hold lack of track record and so-so wood bat performance against him.  He still has a shot to be taken over most of the guys I just listed though.  Could probably be a good 2B too.

5 minutes ago, THE DUKE said:

It's deep, but I'm not sure there are any real difference makers.  If Madrigal is 100% and can play SS, that's pretty interesting (I think he can be 70 hit, 50 power despite his size), but a lot of the other top guys I think are a little over hyped. Eierman has picked it up a bit after his slow start, although there is doubt about him staying at SS (some believe though, I know Aaron Fitt is a big believer the D will play), Conine has been bad, Jenista has been as expected, but that body isn't going to age well.  Bohm has been good, Swaggerty is coming back down to earth after a hot start, Bart has been good, but it'll definitely be the bat that carries his value as a C.  Beer is hitting .243 and is likely a 1B.  Baker has just been solid.  Lots of depth, but I don't know if any are elite.  Even if India destroys all season, some will hold lack of track record and so-so wood bat performance against him.  He still has a shot to be taken over most of the guys I just listed though.  Could probably be a good 2B too.

Jenista’s body already has aged well and will continue to improve rather than regress. Conine has looked fine, I’m not backing off my eval because of one mediocre month production wise. I’ve spoken to scouts on both sides of the fence on Eierman. I never had Beer or Baker as first rounders. I like Bohm but think the industry is too hot on him (he’s a DH).

I’ve never seen Madrigal or Swaggerty myself but trust the people I’ve spoken to that have. Both top 10 caliber prospects and far ahead of Haseley/Smith. 

There are also people out there higher on Larnach than I am, so he could sneak into the first. And I’ve seen little of Bart personally but I know people pushing him as a mid first rounder. 

Edited by NewAge

12 hours ago, MookieMonster said:

What are some prospects that could be of fantasy baseball usage later on in the season?

Hitters

Acuna, Mejia, Torres, Alford, Sisco, Bauers, Bader, Verdugo, Hays

Pitchers

Buehler, Keller, Soroka, Kopech, Gohara, Flaherty, Gonslaves

On 4/3/2018 at 10:06 AM, hrubes20 said:

Pop-up prep arms are starting to make some noise now.  

And more recently:

He's pitched 4 no-hitters in 7 games.  Um, what?  And it's not like he's doing this in Idaho or something, where the baseball talent is thin.  This is in Florida.