College Football and NFL Draft Discussion

candyman93

30 minutes ago, mtmmike said:

Well first of all congratulations on your awards .

The point on the discusion was how good a player is he and in the end if drops to us and we draft him if it turns out the he goes to the pro bowl at whatever position he still is a huge upgrade at pennies on the dollar.

Jonathen ogden lt ravens started out at guard finished as a all world tackle.

First, Ogden was a Unanimous All-American and Outland Trophy winner, so the dude was literally the best lineman in the nation. Wirf isnt that. maybe one of the most athletic but he sure isnt the best.

Second, Ravens had an LT who had started the 6 previous seasons in Tony Jones. They put Ogden at guard because he was too good and talented to not play and wait on the team to move on from Jones. Wirfs is being talked about being guard because of thats what he projects best at cause he hasnt really shown the skills or technique to be a Left Tackle at the next level. 

people love overrating Wirfs like Mind has stated. The dude isnt worth being the pick at 10. The Browns have bigger needs on the team like a true LT or help on defense

9 minutes ago, buno67 said:

First, Ogden was a Unanimous All-American and Outland Trophy winner, so the dude was literally the best lineman in the nation. Wirf isnt that. maybe one of the most athletic but he sure isnt the best.

Second, Ravens had an LT who had started the 6 previous seasons in Tony Jones. They put Ogden at guard because he was too good and talented to not play and wait on the team to move on from Jones. Wirfs is being talked about being guard because of thats what he projects best at cause he hasnt really shown the skills or technique to be a Left Tackle at the next level. 

people love overrating Wirfs like Mind has stated. The dude isnt worth being the pick at 10. The Browns have bigger needs on the team like a true LT or help on defense

I think most believe that Wirfs will be able to play LT at the next level.  Is that because of his superior athleticism? Maybe....  but he played RT in college, because Alaric Jackson was more comfortable at LT, and Iowa wanted to have the 5 best lineman on the field.  He played under Ferentz, who is known to produce stud lineman.  They ran a wide zone blocking scheme which seems to mirror what Stefanski does.

Was he on the ground at times?   Did he have poor pad level at times?  Sure, and I know he won't be able to get by on pure athleticism in the pros. But I do believe his skillset will translate to LT at the next level.  Even if he has the chance at being an all world guard, the 10 pick wouldn't necessarily be wasted.

3 minutes ago, big poppa pump said:

I think most believe that Wirfs will be able to play LT at the next level.  Is that because of his superior athleticism? Maybe....  but he played RT in college, because Alaric Jackson was more comfortable at LT, and Iowa wanted to have the 5 best lineman on the field.  He played under Ferentz, who is known to produce stud lineman.  They ran a wide zone blocking scheme which seems to mirror what Stefanski does.

Was he on the ground at times?   Did he have poor pad level at times?  Sure, and I know he won't be able to get by on pure athleticism in the pros. But I do believe his skillset will translate to LT at the next level.  Even if he has the chance at being an all world guard, the 10 pick wouldn't necessarily be wasted.

Even as a RT,  he wasnt that dominant at Iowa. He was still a very good player but his play at RT gives me zero faith he could be a LT in the NFL. Yes Iowa has a history of producing stud lineman but those studs dont come out being that poor of a technician. Dude has sloppy feet, sloppy paddle level, and sloppy use of hands but he was able to mask a lot of those issues because of his athletic ability. He wont be able to do that in the NFL. Also you rarely see those freak athlete tackles transitioning well in the NFL for reasons like that

Yes, it wouldnt necessarily be wasted. but drafting a guard in the top10 would be the biggest non nerd non analytical thing the Browns could do. too many issues to ignore. I would rather trade down than draft a guard

1 hour ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

For tackles, I like Thomas and Wills as my preferred picks.  I think those two are a much more of a sure thing.

Same here! They both have the highest floor, and while Wills is more polished, Thomas has freakish strength and more of a "finishing" factor in the run game. Those are my two favorites, and I also like Wirfs. I really don't personally like Becton.

10 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

Same here! They both have the highest floor, and while Wills is more polished, Thomas has freakish strength and more of a "finishing" factor in the run game. Those are my two favorites, and I also like Wirfs. I really don't personally like Becton.

I feel like those two will be anywhere for solid starter to very good.

The other two definitely have higher athletic ceilings, but simply aren’t as battle tested as Thomas/Wills.

4 hours ago, big poppa pump said:

It is very interesting this year but the impression i get from all the experts is that all the prospects can play lt at a very high level.

some of the drafts have us passing on brown to take a tackle.

That being said  I like the idea that we get 2 offensive lineman that could play for the next 5 years on rookie deals this enables us to sign Mayfield,Ward, and Myles without salary cap catching up to us.

Edited by mtmmike
misspelling

21 minutes ago, mtmmike said:

It is very interesting this year but the impression i get from all the experts is that all the prospects can play lt at a very high level.

some of the drafts have us passing on brown to take a tackle.

That being said  I like the idea that we get 2 offensive lineman that could play for the next 5 years on rookie deals this enables us to sign Mayfield,Ward, and Myles without salary cap catching up to us.

What lineman are they trading up to get back in the 1st rd

For anyone that's interested https://www.profootballnetwork.com/mockdraft/ has a new draft simulator it's free and allows for trades.

Here is what I came up with.  I made a trade with Arizona.  I had to give up pick 10, 41, and 97. to move up 2 spots to 8th and received pick 131 in return.  

CLE 8.
Jedrick Wills
OT Alabama
trade icon
CLE 74.
Logan Wilson
ILB Wyoming

CLE 115.
Amik Robertson
CB Louisiana Tech

CLE 131.
Casey Toohill
OLB Stanford
trade icon
CLE 187.
Daishawn Dixon
G San Diego State

CLE 244.
Michael Pinckney
OLB Miami

4 hours ago, mtmmike said:

Who do you like out of the guards?

Besides there is enough guards that fall to the second we don't have to trade up for them 

Second round pick with a transmission hold

I mention trade up cause you talked about 5th year options. Only 1st rounders get that. 

41 minutes ago, Horseunit said:

For anyone that's interested https://www.profootballnetwork.com/mockdraft/ has a new draft simulator it's free and allows for trades.

Here is what I came up with.  I made a trade with Arizona.  I had to give up pick 10, 41, and 97. to move up 2 spots to 8th and received pick 131 in return.  

CLE 8.
Jedrick Wills
OT Alabama
trade icon
CLE 74.
Logan Wilson
ILB Wyoming

CLE 115.
Amik Robertson
CB Louisiana Tech

CLE 131.
Casey Toohill