Random Game Talk (are you really a gamer if you aren't playing BG3?)

skywindO2

6 hours ago, HighHopes said:

Now that I think of it, it's a better Five Night's At Freddy's. It's really interesting, but I also can only watch so many failed attempts lol. I want to watch a win, but if I look that up, the suspence will be gone lol

Went ahead and bought it but I'm not sure when I'll have time to play it. I agree with only being able to watch so many failed attempts. 

I got scared with my first power outage and turned it off. :( 

Edited by skywindO2

13 minutes ago, Mossburg said:

Is streaming good, bad or doesn't matter for sales linear single player games?

Definitely bad. Something like Life is Strange.. sure there different outcomes in that story, but you can go hit YouTube and find just about any type of playthrough you may be looking for. 

12 minutes ago, packerrfan74 said:

Definitely bad. Something like Life is Strange.. sure there different outcomes in that story, but you can go hit YouTube and find just about any type of playthrough you may be looking for. 

I guess I just don't get the whole Twitch thing or YouTube videos of people playing through a game. Who has time to watch someone play through a whole video game? Most video game stories aren't really that great compared to other forms of entertainment. I can see watching someone dominate at Fortnite or something for a little bit, but I guess I just don't see why someone would watch a stream of Zelda or something like that unless they truly can't play it themselves. 

Just now, Lions017 said:

I guess I just don't get the whole Twitch thing or YouTube videos of people playing through a game. Who has time to watch someone play through a whole video game? Most video game stories aren't really that great compared to other forms of entertainment. I can see watching someone dominate at Fortnite or something for a little bit, but I guess I just don't see why someone would watch a stream of Zelda or something like that unless they truly can't play it themselves. 

Zelda isn't a liner game though. You can see people play Zelda to see how cool the physics and gameplay are, and then play yourself later. I mean more games like Uncharted or story driven games.

5 minutes ago, Lions017 said:

I guess I just don't get the whole Twitch thing or YouTube videos of people playing through a game. Who has time to watch someone play through a whole video game? Most video game stories aren't really that great compared to other forms of entertainment. I can see watching someone dominate at Fortnite or something for a little bit, but I guess I just don't see why someone would watch a stream of Zelda or something like that unless they truly can't play it themselves

Get with it, because its only growing in popularity. I have a friend making 6 digits a year playing video games... it's nuts. 

That bolded sentence at the bottom hits the main point though.. All games cost money, why spend $30 $40 on a game that you will most likely play through exactly once when you can get the content of the game while listening to some good feedback on it for absolutely nothing.

14 minutes ago, packerrfan74 said:

I wonder if this is actually reflected in sales numbers. Some games really aren't worth playing once you know some things about the story, but maybe it's an insignificant part of the gaming market that do this.

I know people keep talking about developers having less and less incentive to create these kind of games, I wonder how big (or not) a part this plays.

5 minutes ago, Mossburg said:

I wonder if this is actually reflected in sales numbers. Some games really aren't worth playing once you know some things about the story, but maybe it's an insignificant part of the gaming market that do this.

I know people keep talking about developers having less and less incentive to create these kind of games, I wonder how big (or not) a part this plays.

Really, we're still in the infancy of lets play twitchers and youtubers. It's probably hard to say overall as some games have undoubtedly benefited from it while others have probably suffered immensely. 

I think at some point you'll see a company like Telltale Games partner with one of these big time streamers and pay them to only play the beginning or an exciting part of the game. It's a win-win for everybody. Company gets the exposure from a youtuber who regularly gets millions of views, streamer gets paid, and the consumer gets more of a glimpse into what the gameplay will provide as opposed to your traditional trailer.

1 hour ago, Mossburg said:

Zelda isn't a liner game though. You can see people play Zelda to see how cool the physics and gameplay are, and then play yourself later. I mean more games like Uncharted or story driven games.

I think I spent 80+ hours playing BoTW 40+ of story arc with my daughter.   And I only finished 60 percent of the game (finished the story though and all the dreams, 60 percent shrines and half the seeds & side quests).    That’s a game where at some point better to watch ppl finish the rest than spend dozens of hours to be a completionist.  

Edited by Broncofan

8 hours ago, Mossburg said:

Is streaming good, bad or doesn't matter for sales linear single player games?

I think I've heard it helps.This is how I look at it. People who watch games aren't necessarily missed customers. The commitment to watch games is much less than spending money on a game and beating it, so I think people who watch single player games aren't necessarily people who going to buy the game anyways. I'm sure some people will watch a game through and feel satisfied, but I think there is probably a higher number who will watch a game they weren't considering getting at all and end up buying the game because they liked what they saw.

Basically, I think the motivation to watch a game doesn't coincide with the reasons people don't buy a game. If you really want a game, you will just buy it. If you aren't sure, you will watch some and then decide. I also feel like if you were sure, you'd be more likely to not buy it if there was no extra information. Or lastly, you watch a game with no intention of buying it, but maybe something convinces you to buy.

18 hours ago, packerrfan74 said:

Get with it, because its only growing in popularity. I have a friend making 6 digits a year playing video games... it's nuts. 

That bolded sentence at the bottom hits the main point though.. All games cost money, why spend $30 $40 on a game that you will most likely play through exactly once when you can get the content of the game while listening to some good feedback on it for absolutely nothing.

To me though the whole point of games is playing them. That's what makes them unique. It makes as much sense to me as just listening to the audio of a movie does without the picture. 

21 hours ago, packerrfan74 said:

Not just the money but the time and ability to play the game too. Games are an interactive story medium so I don't see a huge difference between watching one or any other TV show.

I was staying at a hostel in South America last October and met a guy on from Singapore late night on the roof top patio/bar. He was super focused on his laptop but was curious what he was doing so I went up to talk to him. He was watching a Lets Play of Shadows of Mordor that had just come out. He and his girlfriend were in their 6th month of traveling and while he's a big gamer, he can't really play anything on the road. I've watched a lot of streams/gameplays/lets plays but never really thought about who else might be watching them and why. Normally I only watch old games for nostalgia.

Basically this guys gaming time was when him staying up late watching videos on youtube after his girlfriend went to bed. 

3 hours ago, Lions017 said:

To me though the whole point of games is playing them. That's what makes them unique. It makes as much sense to me as just listening to the audio of a movie does without the picture. 

I'm with yuh there. Then again I'm lucky enough to make a good living and if I want a game I just go buy it. I will never understand why someone would want to sit and watch someone play a game. Its like watching someone riding a roller coaster if the roller coaster was in your backyard... Seems stupid to me. I don't really get E sports either so I guess to each their own. I work for a big tech company and the amount of super nerds who love this kind of stuff surprises me. 

Personally the only person I like watching is Angry Video Game Nerd and that's mostly because it brings me back to some of the same issues I had with old games as a kid.