Week 1 GDT - Tampa Bay Buccaneers vs San Francisco 49ers

J-ALL-DAY

5 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

I mean it is the only sample size where he got starter reps.

If they want to play Goodwin no problem with that. But I mean it was said by Maiocco they didn't want him to play as much since they think he is better for playing a certain specialized role on the team where he plays 15-20 snaps a game. But hey, if he is going to play 60 snaps, then use him properly and get him involved, unlike yesterday which was just a pathetic offensive game plan. 

I definitely agree with the last part. I think it was a lousy game plan. Why Goodwin never stretched the field through designed deep throws I don't know. Maybe they are still being cautious with Jimmy's knee and wanted quicker developing plays? Seems like an odd choice either way given that Jimmy's best throws are the medium range ones. Lots of question marks here.

It was also said by Maiocco that the team expected Pettis to emerge as the #1 WR but that he didn't take the necessary strides to do it (a fact Pettis acknowledged):

https://www.nbcsports.com/bayarea/49ers/49ers-dante-pettis-and-kyle-shanahan-same-page-expectations

That said, this conversation is probably pointless. I expect Pettis will be in the starting lineup before the bye week.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, y2lamanaki said:

There were actually 5. We had 3 - 2 Garoppolo passes to Kittle and a Mostert TD run.

That's right. What an agonizing win. 

If Deebo wouldn't have fumbled right before the half, that would have been at least another 3 points. If Gould's FG that bounced off of the crossbar would've went another 3 inches, that's another 3 points. 

So many points left on the field...

3 minutes ago, NinerNation21 said:

That's right. What an agonizing win. 

If Deebo wouldn't have fumbled right before the half, that would have been at least another 3 points. If Gould's FG that bounced off of the crossbar would've went another 3 inches, that's another 3 points. 

So many points left on the field...

Seriously. Even more incredible if you factor in Moore's dropped INT that could have gone for 6. It was a wild, sloppy game. 

6 minutes ago, y2lamanaki said:

Seriously. Even more incredible if you factor in Moore's dropped INT that could have gone for 6. It was a wild, sloppy game. 

Plus Alexander's dropped INT, too. That was one of the easiest catches for an INT that I've ever seen. The announcers suggested that he would've been able to return it several yards, but his momentum was carrying him backward. At the very least, that was another possible points lost.

Ugly win, but we need to get the ugly wins if we want to go somewhere. They're not all going to be pretty. Ugly offense. No running game, which surprised me. The one thing we got used to with Kyle is a decent running game at the very least. But yesterday, none at all. The third quarter started well. 

Jimmy was ugly for the most part. Some very accurate throws, some awful misfires, some bad decisions. Forcing the ball to Kittle early on, it seems. Or often forcing the ball to the "match-up of the play", where he'll automatically go to the RB when he's covered by a LB, or Kittle if he's covered by a CB. It's a good philosophy in general, but when you go to your highlighted match-up every single time, it becomes kinda predictable. Fake it that way, then go back to another target. Anyways... whatever. I don't expect Jimmy to be a bulk stat type of guy. I want him to be decent-to-good statistically for 3 quarters, and then a master at engineering wins in the fourth. He was a bit like that in 2017 in his first starts. He'd find ways to win. Yesterday, not so much, but the defense found a way. 

A defense that was very very up and down. They have to find ways to defend the run, or the year is going to be long. I love love love the ability to generate pressure. These guys need to work together some more. They didn't play together in the preseason. Bosa was pretty good. He could easily have had 3 sacks. But the one is nice. Dee forcing fumbles like he's Dee Ford. Warner peanut punching the ball like a mad man. Kwon clearly being stupid, or perhaps just too enthusiastic. I knew when I saw the replay that he would be ejected. He has to clean that up. I think the best player on the field yesterday, all units considered, was Akhello Witherspoon. Even without the pick-6, he had an amazing game. He legit looked like a probowler. Spoon and Sherman have the potential to be shutdown, at some point this year. Combined with our newfound pass rush, it leaves only the middle of the field to worry about. If Tartt can make some plays, along with the ILBs. And I just wanted to keep Moore for last: take your time Jimmie Ward. I like Moore. He wasn't a revelation or incredibly impressive (although the pass break-up at the goal line was glorious), but the sky is the limit with him. Imagine our defensive backfield going from "biggest concern" to "we might have something great there". Sure the pass rush helps a ton. But yesterday, the DBs helped the pass rush as well. There were plays where everyone was covered and Winston had nowhere to go. Our D is much improved, it seems. But please, for the love of Dog, stop the run!!!

Several things to be optimistic about. A lot of sloppiness. Last year, it took Jimmy 2 games and 3 quarters to get going, until he tore his ACL. I'm not worried. But I could be if the offense is still this sloppy a couple weeks from now. But Kyle being an offensive wizard, he'll probably right the ship.

But a win's a win. I don't want this year to be another one of those "Oh no, this one win will take us out of contention for the first overall pick". I want to win these games, and worry in december whether we're in playoffs contention or not. Maybe we only get 7 really good wins, and 2 or 3 ugly wins we didn't truly deserve. I don't care as long as it puts us in the playoffs. I'll take each and every win.

9 hours ago, NinerNation21 said:

Honestly, watching 100% of the game probably would've frustrated you. Between both teams, there were 4 TDs called back on penalties. Two in one drive by the Bucs! Cameron Brate caught two TD passes and both were called back on holding by Dotson. Dotson owes Brate a few dinners after that game. 

Kittle had a beautiful 20-30 yard TD catch and run that was called back on holding as well.

While the win was great and D showed up in a big way, it was painful watching the first half. Every time something encouraging happened for either team, a flag came out to negate it. It was getting unbearable for a while.

Kudos to the Niners' coaching staff for their halftime adjustments after an ugly first half.

Agreed, I don't like games with lots of flags. It slows down the game and makes the game like a rollercoaster thinking every play is going to be nullified. We need to be more disciplined but it's been like that for years with the 49ers. So many flags 😭

Edited by Gravity

19 minutes ago, Gravity said:

*Worst case scenario* and Jimmy Garoppolo craps the bed.

Anyone know how difficult it would be to let him go after this season?

On another note I'm excited for this season!

Easy to let him go after this season. Very little dead money starting next season. 

That being said, Y2 and I discussed this on the podcast and we both feel fairly comfortable bringing him back next year if he stays healthy, even if he is mediocre this year. The guy is still technically a rookie with regards to games played and started so ups and downs are to be expected. Throws like that pick 6 are to be expected. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Forge said:

Easy to let him go after this season. Very little dead money starting next season. 

That being said, Y2 and I discussed this on the podcast and we both feel fairly comfortable bringing him back next year if he stays healthy, even if he is mediocre this year. The guy is still technically a rookie with regards to games played and started so ups and downs are to be expected. Throws like that pick 6 are to be expected. 

Thank you!

Yeah, it would have to be some next level suck not to bring him back and compete. Good point, I didn't really think of it him still being like a rookie. He has around ~11 starting games played so far in his NFL career.