WEEK 1 @ OAK TOWN

BullsandBroncos

I know we associate Brian Xanders with Josh Mcdaniels but at least we acquired some type of talent under his eye.  

I felt like the Elway/Xanders model was working somewhat. He's now senior personnel executive for the Rams.

Is why we let him go all about ellis and co saving money?

Elway pr side, landing the big fish in peyton and DeMarcus ware, talib

Xanders having input on personnel side and the draft in some capacity. 

Edited by thebestever6

2 hours ago, thebestever6 said:

I know we associate Brian Xanders with Josh Mcdaniels but at least we acquired some type of talent under his eye.  

I felt like the Elway/Xanders model was working somewhat. He's now senior personnel executive for the Rams.

Is why we let him go all about ellis and co saving money?

Elway pr side, landing the big fish in peyton and DeMarcus ware, talib

Xanders having input on personnel side and the draft in some capacity. 

Brian Xanders would be a nice resource right now, and so would Tom Heckert on the free agent and league scouting side who unfortunately passed away last year. The front office is quietly getting smaller with less voices in the room to challenge John Elway and Matt Russell.

I am curious who had the biggest hand in getting us out of that five year run of horrible drafting because it's saving this team from an even worse fate. Kubiak got a lot of credit for last year but they continued to get tremendous value out of their 2019 picks until Winfree, who probably surpassed expectations already by making the team. 

Edited by BroncoBruin

13 minutes ago, BroncoBruin said:

Brian Xanders would be a nice resource right now, and so would Tom Heckert on the free agent and league scouting side who unfortunately passed away last year. The front office is quietly getting smaller with less voices in the room to challenge John Elway and Matt Russell.

I am curious who had the biggest hand in getting us out of that five year run of horrible drafting because it's saving this team from an even worse fate. Kubiak got a lot of credit for last year but they continued to get tremendous value out of their 2019 picks until Winfree, who probably surpassed expectations already by making the team. 

In 2018 I know the senior bowl was huge . 2019 hard to argue about value. 

I'd rather have Winfree as a game day active over  Cracraft we know what he is .

42 minutes ago, thebestever6 said:

In 2018 I know the senior bowl was huge . 2019 hard to argue about value. 

I'd rather have Winfree as a game day active over  Cracraft we know what he is .

Flacco is such an inefficient short thrower I think even if Cracraft maximized his talent it would be wasted on Flacco. Winfree is big, has strong hands and has similar speed to Sutton and Patrick. I'd like to see him get some targets. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BroncoBruin said:

Flacco is such an inefficient short thrower I think even if Cracraft maximized his talent it would be wasted on Flacco. Winfree is big, has strong hands and has similar speed to Sutton and Patrick. I'd like to see him get some targets. 

Absolutely.   The rewatch on NFLN showed Flacco missing location on a ton of short throws.   He's much better with intermediate-deep balls.   The issue of course is giving him enough time, and our WR's getting enough separation.  Sutton was the only one winning consistently, although Hamilton was also wide open (on the very unfortunate drop SMH).   Sanders' stat line looks great - but he was 1 catch for 6 yds in the 1H, and was not separating at all - until OAK's CB Conley left the game, and it was garbage time.    CHI's secondary is very good, so this should be a good test to see how Sander's quicks / separation ability have returned - straight line speed isn't the issue with Achilles injuries, it's the stop/go, cutting and suddeness that don't return.  

We really also need to get away from 12 personnel in passing situations.   It's totally fine to play-action into pass with 12 personnel, but as an outright pass formation, it was a disaster.  The 3rd FG was a result of us being in 12 personnel on 2nd/3rd and long - that's just awful playcalling by Scangarelli to dial that up.  Now, I get the coaches weren't happy with Hamilton's drop in the RZ before - but you aren't going to get Jeff Heuermann separating in a short field with the D knowing it's a pass.   Hopefully they address the personnel choices in the RZ next game.

1 hour ago, champ11 said:

Stink from the top rope 

Idk that looks to be partially on Lindsay towards the end.It looked like Bolles was trying to seal the edge if Lindsay cuts that outside I think that's a td. Bolles should have chipped Hurst to make it an easier block on McGovern though or do something .

Edited by thebestever6

15 minutes ago, thebestever6 said:

Idk that looks to be partially on Lindsay towards the end.It looked like Bolles was trying to seal the edge if Lindsay cuts that outside I think that's a td. Bolles should have chipped Hurst to make it an easier block on McGovern though or do something .

Bolles did his job. Outside was open. Thats really a BS comment by Schlerth. He's usually better than that.

Just a cut Lindsay shouldn't have made.

1 hour ago, AKRNA said:

Bolles did his job. Outside was open. Thats really a BS comment by Schlerth. He's usually better than that.

Just a cut Lindsay shouldn't have made.

To be fair, if Bolles goes and gets him Lindsay isn't forced to make a cut. Yes, he chose wrong, but if Bolles goes after the guy it's a moot point. 

20 minutes ago, MakeDenverGreatAgain said:

To be fair, if Bolles goes and gets him Lindsay isn't forced to make a cut. Yes, he chose wrong, but if Bolles goes after the guy it's a moot point. 

Or it's a hold because he would of been off base going up to get the safety. I'm not a Bolles fanboy the Saints right tackle looks awesome. However, if what everyone assumes that he's league average to below average at this point in time sealing is a better move than creating a hold playing " hero meathead ball."

Edited by thebestever6

Bolles is going to get picked on relentlessly every time he screws up and probably won't get enough credit when he plays well. This is kind of the position he's earned, it's well founded skepticism and he'll have to play great football to ever get past it. It doesn't help that the "he doesn't get it" murmurs have NEVER subsided in his three years there. I like my linemen nasty, but I don't like them stupid and undisciplined. 

• Like 1

Can we keep propping up Bolles? He is okay. I was hoping for elite because he us an elite athlete. I'd almost say move him over to the defensive side...let him use that athletic ability and aggression to tackle RBs. 

If we are top 5 again next year...I'd go best LT and then bomb the next year for Lawrence.

The Broncos have solid pieces in places that won't win Championships...but QB, LT and ILB are effing needed bad and are huge pieces...it isn't like hey we could use a better safety...or kicker...these are areas that make or break teams...they have to fix it.

25 minutes ago, jsthomp2007 said:

Can we keep propping up Bolles

No propping up from me just don't like to draw conclusions from 1 play opening night. 

If I were to draw a conclusion and create a narrative from that play. I'd say I'd take Suttons side in the TC fight. Bc Sanders effort on that backside block was inexcusable for making 13 million on a rebuilding team. 

He is coming off an Achilles injury and did help win a superbowl so I don't do that. I'm  a fan I'm sentimental. 

Edited by thebestever6

52 minutes ago, MakeDenverGreatAgain said:

I disagree, thats not a stretch play, it's a misdirection sweep designed to go outside. If he doesn't cut back in it's a TD. 42 would have to run through Bolles to make the tackle and that won't happen.

If Lindsay runs the play as designed we're all talking about the great block Bolles made on 42 to spring the TD.

• Like 1