GDT 2 post game thread - theories & rants

malagabears

3 hours ago, beardown3231 said:

I just rewatched the first quarter. How did Roquan not pick off that pass that hit off of the GB player's foot? It bounced up so softly and hit him right in the hands. That's a walk in pick-6.

If I'm remembering the play it hit the ground as it was hitting the players foot, making it an incomplete pass.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, WindyCity said:

I re-watched some of the game this morning and the OL was atrocious.

He highlights some of it in the video, but I could not get over the miscommunications and the missed blitzes and stunts. It honestly looked like they have never played together.

Daniels wasn't good and he was the best one. Leno, Whitehair, and Long should be ashamed of what they put on tape.

It's hard getting any offense going when those 5 are playing poorly. 

7 hours ago, beardown3231 said:

I just rewatched the first quarter. How did Roquan not pick off that pass that hit off of the GB player's foot? It bounced up so softly and hit him right in the hands. That's a walk in pick-6.

The ball also hit the ground so it was called incomplete.  Replays shown confirmed it.

4 hours ago, blkwdw13 said:

If I'm remembering the play it hit the ground as it was hitting the players foot, making it an incomplete pass.

That's correct.  If Nagy would have challenged it he would have lost.  Especially against GB.

Edited by soulman

Bumping to start the ranting early. That was brutal again. Except for one drive where they scored on all rush attempts and the last drive's last 2 throws Mitch didn't do squat again. His QBR is terrible and we really need the training wheels to come off. He is 28th in ESPN's QBR and I am sure most other sites have him in the toilet. I am willing to wait until after the bye week but as of now it's not looking good.

14 minutes ago, malagabears said:

Bumping to start the ranting early. That was brutal again. Except for one drive where they scored on all rush attempts and the last drive's last 2 throws Mitch didn't do squat again. His QBR is terrible and we really need the training wheels to come off. He is 28th in ESPN's QBR and I am sure most other sites have him in the toilet. I am willing to wait until after the bye week but as of now it's not looking good.

I'm starting to wonder if that shoulder injury against Minnesota last year messed up his confidence, made him hesitant, etc.

Last year he was a tick better than average. This year he's been hard to watch. 

Something has to be going on here

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, malagabears said:

Offense was bad again, really bad. 

Nagy needs to grow a sack and up the aggressiveness or hand over the playcalling duties. He can't cower with the playcall sheet, idc who is the QB. He isn't moving the pocket to take advantage of Tru's athleticism, he is condensing the field for the defense, and is seeming to use the quick passing game as an extension of the run game. Clearly it is a colossal failure. 

His offense has 2 TDs in the last 12 quarters (going back to PHI). That is pathetic and inexcusable. If Tru isn't healthy or something the get him out, you're overpaying Daniel so let him take over. If he is healthy then Nagy needs to get rid of his skirt and help his QB. 

• Like 3

The scouting report is out on Trubisky, defenses are going to lock him into the pocket and "make him play quarterback " as was explained last week. Great qbs simply learn to read the defense better and excute properly. Mitch is struggling on that front and right now it doesn't appear to be getting better.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, malagabears said:

The scouting report is out on Trubisky, defenses are going to lock him into the pocket and "make him play quarterback " as was explained last week. Great qbs simply learn to read the defense better and excute properly. Mitch is struggling on that front and right now it doesn't appear to be getting better.

I don't think it's as much as him making bad reads... he's just not executing on a lot of his throws. Like for instance today he read both Cohen and Gabriel on two separate pass plays. He just under threw and over threw the ball on both occasions. If he makes those plays then those are huge gainers and possibly more points on the board. It's his timing and touch I'm more concerned about at times.

• Like 2

Right now I'm very frustrated at the offensive play-calling. I'm sick and tired of our offense playing so conservative late game with the lead. Nagy has to learn to go for the throat whenever he has the lead. Why can't we stay aggressive and keep trying to score points? A ten point lead in today's NFL isn't enough to sit back and let the defense close the game out. I want the Bears to be like the Patriots and just run up the score regardless of scoreboard and the time. There's been so much frustration on my part where we play not to lose and that's just what almost happened again today.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, malagabears said:

Good playcallers can force the defense on their heels, they can adapt, they can keep you off balance. Everyone knows you need to keep Rodgers in the pocket, but they still struggle to do so. People know to not let Desean Jackson and Hill get behind them, but they still do. 

The job of a playcaller, offense or defense, is to force their will on the opponent. That may be because incredible execution (Lovie's best defenses even if they were simple) or due to creativity that the opposing coach cannot match up with consistently (Payton/McDaniels/Reid). 

Nagy needs to stop taking what the defense gives them and attack. He needs to help Tru like McVay is helping Goff. If you have to make it simple....then make it f***ing simple! Complexity does NOT equate to points. But don't run the offensive version of the prevent defense, don't coach scared to lose. Tru has missed throws, but how many times is he throwing into pressure? Jow many YAC have hos receivers created? If youre gping to thrpw a ton of 5 yard passes then they are going to rely on YAC. His release time was really fast last week to compensate for the OL's porous play and he still was getting hit with regularity. If your QB isn't great, then he will need help. ARob is doing so but there's way too many plays where he isn't getting help, especially with how talented of a cast Chicago has. 

Right now his playcalling has been less effective than Loggains' was. Let that sink in, a rookie Tru - with his best receivers being Kendall Wright and Josh Bellamy - completely outproduced what Nagy has this year. Tru isn't worse than he was as a rookie, OL is better, WR corps is better, 2nd year in this "system", etc. But Loggains on average outperformed what Nagy has done this season. 

That is alarming to me. I'm sure he will bounce back but damn it he needs to do it  now rather than keep costing the Bears games. Quit hoping to scrape by like the LAR game, try to dominate or step aside and let someone else at least try to do something offensively. Idc of Pace steps in amd forces Nagy to relinquish playcalling of hw doesnt fix this immediately. Right now CHI seems to be winning in spite of Nagy rather than because of him. 

Edited by Sugashane

4 hours ago, beardown3231 said:

I'm starting to wonder if that shoulder injury against Minnesota last year messed up his confidence, made him hesitant, etc.

Last year he was a tick better than average. This year he's been hard to watch. 

Something has to be going on here

Agreed but it's not his shoulder it's his head.

By my observations he's not catching up to the speed his decision process needs to move at mentally and in my thinking that's why he's playing hesitantly at times and his accuracy which was one of his strong points in college is very poor.  He's missing a lot of throws.  My very real concern is whether or not more work and game reps will ever get him there soon enough to make the offense competitive now.

3 hours ago, Sugashane said:

If you have to make it simple....then make it f***ing simple! Complexity does NOT equate to points.

Sugashane is right.  Great coaches and great teams beat you by out executing you all game long.  Deception is great for a few plays that may turn into big gainers or scores but this isn't college ball.  You can't depend on that and get cute all game long.  NFL DCs catch on far too quickly.  One major issue right now is the offense is not executing well and that's mostly on Mitch. He's playing very poorly.

I know some will want to give him credit for getting Piniero in range as he did with Parkey in the playoff game but despite the better outcome his drive against Philly was actually better.  How could he have missed ARob?  When Mitch began to run the deep coverage broke and he was wide open.  Any half way decent PS QB should have been able to make that throw.  It was pitch and catch.

Maybe there's just too much complexity for all of them this early in the season.  The offensive struggles reported from camp would be a very good indication of that.  It's surely not a lack of talent either on the OL or at the skill positions.  In all of my years watching Bears football I've never seen more offensive talent than we have now but even a world class symphony orchestra depends on it's conductor for leadership in it's version of play calling and a skilled concert master with a baton to set and maintain tempo.

We seem to be lacking both right now.

• Like 1