GDT 2 post game thread - theories & rants

malagabears

1 hour ago, Heinz D. said:

Agree with all of that. If the Bears don't show dramatic improvement over the next two games, Nagy should be fired.

Period.

Put Pagano in charge, and go from there. 

My god. I was gonna stay from this forum for a couple of days because I knew there was gonna be abundance of irrational knee-jerk reactions but I didn't think they were gonna get THIS bad.

Cmon Heinz, you have far more football intelligence then what this displays my man. 

I get the feeling this post is being made more out of emotion than logical sense. Take a step back brother.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, beardown3231 said:

What was different from this year to last in the preseason? They played what, 20 more snaps last year? And the great Adam Shaheen got hurt as a result?

You also realize a lot of teams don't play their guys anymore. Want to know how many preseason snaps Goff, Rivers, Wentz and Rodgers combined for in August? 

If you guessed zero you got it!

So yeah I guess all of those coaches weren't familiar with the genius that is Lynn, Nagy, Lafleur, Pederson or Mcvay.

They didn't stink last night because of the lack of preseason action; they stunk because Nagy decided to be stubborn and not adjust to the Packers playing 6 DB's. He didn't use Montgomery enough & he gave Cohen 0 carries. That's not a result of rust, it's a result of a horse**** gameplan.

You are strongly under-estimating the significance of preseason if you think it's doesn't matter. We seen what happened last year as a result of Nagy sitting Mitch and the offense.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, JustAnotherFan said:

My god. I was gonna stay from this forum for a couple of days because I knew there was gonna be abundance of irrational knee-jerk reactions but I didn't think they were gonna get THIS bad.

Cmon Heinz, you have far more football intelligence then what this displays my man. 

I get the feeling this post is being made more out of emotion than logical sense. Take a step back brother.

Not at all. Lay blame where it belongs. Let's be real--this was a coaching failure of utterly monumental proportions. He's let the entire organization, and its fanbase, down in breathtaking fashion. For a team as good as this one is (and that's leaving Trubisky out of the discussion entirely), that performance by the offense, especially the playcalling, was completely unacceptable. I'm sort of surprised that my viewpoint is taken as a hot take or something, as I'm not really worked up emotionally by this at all. It's beyond that. That failure was fundamental, and I don't see how, if the Bears offense does the same things over the next two weeks, that Pace doesn't feel the need to change the product on the field. It was that bad, and, as I said, on a fundamental level. However, I'm confident that the lack of pre-season snaps is the big culprit here (as I've also said), so...hopefully if I'm right, Thursday's game may end up being a one off, and we'll all move past it soon. 

For all the hand-wringing about not running the ball enough (which I agree with), let's keep in mind that the run game was clearly not working against the Packers' defense. The Bears looked overmatched at the line of scrimmage. The backs averaged 3.4 yards per carry and running plays put the Bears behind the chains on several drives throughout the game.

3 minutes ago, abstract_thought said:

For all the hand-wringing about not running the ball enough (which I agree with), let's keep in mind that the run game was clearly not working against the Packers' defense. The Bears looked overmatched at the line of scrimmage. The backs averaged 3.4 yards per carry and running plays put the Bears behind the chains on several drives throughout the game.

There were several decent runs. Eleven attempts is not a very good sample size, and for what it's worth, unless you have Brady or Rodgers under center, eleven attempts is pretty ill-conceived. 

48 minutes ago, Heinz D. said:

Oh, and if you average 3.4 yards per attempt, and do that three times in a row, you get a first down...

You shut your damn mouth John Fox!!!!!!  lol

Back to a more serious note though -

One of my major concerns is that Tru's placement still goes behind or high too often. He stepped into his throws much better and didn't do much falling back and throwing, didn't go across his body IIRC, etc. So there were positives to his technique, but it wasn't translating to some of his throws. But it felt like the entire Rams game last year but inverted. Vs LAR they kept trying to force the ball deep, but last night they were content to try and play a condensed dime defense through the air. But at least Nagy got a little clue then and ran still, 29 rushes without counting Tru's attempts. Last night he saw there was a lack of sync in the offense, but after one RPO that netter a first down I don't know if we did anything else. No real use of rollouts when their DL was abusing our OL, no attempt to make easier reads through levels concepts, few pre-snap motions, etc. What they hell is he doing besides calling plays like a kid playing Madden?

I was a huge fan of Flip, and he didn't last in MIN but he was scapegoated in large part. Their OL was abysmal, injuries were bad on offense too, and yet Flip absolutely was a better playcaller than Nagy has shown to be. Cousins was behind a laughingstock OL and put up 4300 passing yards and a 30/10 TD to INT ratio (Adam T. and Diggs helps a lot obviously but still), they had 3 runners averaging over 4 YPC with 40+ attempts, etc. Put Nagy in the same situation and he'd be adored by the players there, but I'm not sure he isn't fired by week 8.

He needs to either hand the playcalling duties off or have someone check him when he gets too predictable. Maybe Helfrich can be more vocal and have his calls used more often based on what he is seeing too. IDC, but 3 points is pathetic and Tru should never be asked to throw that much. It is just a terrible idea in general, but to ask him to pick apart a defense like Brees is just madness. He is an athlete, use his legs, attack at different levels, move the pocket, and run the damn football to keep the defense honest. If you can't run against a dime look, WTF are you going to do against a heavy front or attacking 3-4? Nagy isn't on the hot seat, but he should get a heavy *** chewing for that flop. He had the John Fox mental effort level going yesterday. Almost made me miss Trestman's devotion to the run game. lol

For reference, Forte alone average 16 attempts per game his last year with Trestman, when they were using screens and flats as an extension of the running game.

4 hours ago, abstract_thought said:

Flip being better than Nagy is a hotter take than any overreaction I've seen about Trubisky this week.

Not even close, especially compared to saying Pace, Nagy, and Tru are on short leashes.

As a playcaller Flip absolutely has a better record. Nagy had a few great games in KC that most players had already had Reid's system down for years. Last year be had a lot plainly poor games called. Flip has produced with MIN but also with CLE who had 3 garbage QBs and no running backs who were worth a damn. 

Now I believe Nagy will right the ship and get on a better track but he has been a lackluster playcaller. 

As a head coach between the two? Nagy has the backing if every player and they seem willing to run through a wall for him. He is obviously a good HC overall, but the Bears clearly mostly won the NFCN on their defense last year, not because of Nagy's efforts on offense. 

Edited by Sugashane

10 hours ago, Heinz D. said:

There were several decent runs. Eleven attempts is not a very good sample size, and for what it's worth, unless you have Brady or Rodgers under center, eleven attempts is pretty ill-conceived. 

The run game actually worked in the beginning. I think Nagy just didn't stick to it at all. There was a poster that claimed that GB used 6 DBs for a large portion of the game. I mean come on that's them begging you to run. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Nads786 said:

The run game actually worked in the beginning. I think Nagy just didn't stick to it at all. There was a poster that claimed that GB used 6 DBs for a large portion of the game. I mean come on that's them begging you to run. 

They spent most of the game in a 3-3-5 with Raven Green, a safety playing in the box where a linebacker would normally play.

At times it almost looks like an old 5 man front from college football in the early 70's.

Edited by Ragnar Danneskjold
  • Like 1

Hate to be such a smart *** but Matt.....duh!!!!

Matt Nagy: 'We didn't run the ball enough' against Packers

https://bearswire.usatoday.com/2019/09/07/matt-nagy-we-didnt-run-the-ball-enough-against-packers/

Chicago’s 53-to-12 pass-to-run ratio was troublesome, especially during what remained a one-score game throughout the night. While some of those were RPOs, there weren’t enough runs called.

Nagy accepted the blame for the offense’s woes and acknowledged that the Bears didn’t run the ball enough against the Packers.

Matt Nagy: "We didn't run the ball enough last night."

— Chris Emma (@CEmma670) September 6, 2019

Matt has said that quite a few times last season as well. He needs to really commit to the run game while making it a bit dynamic. My biggest fear with this team from last year was the lack of running ability. Nagy blamed Howard but I felt it was the OL that just didn’t generate a ton of push.

I didn’t see a lot of improvement this past game. I’m hoping that can get better as the season goes on.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, soulman said:

Hate to be such a smart *** but Matt.....duh!!!!

Matt Nagy: 'We didn't run the ball enough' against Packers

https://bearswire.usatoday.com/2019/09/07/matt-nagy-we-didnt-run-the-ball-enough-against-packers/

Chicago’s 53-to-12 pass-to-run ratio was troublesome, especially during what remained a one-score game throughout the night. While some of those were RPOs, there weren’t enough runs called.

Nagy accepted the blame for the offense’s woes and acknowledged that the Bears didn’t run the ball enough against the Packers.

Matt Nagy: "We didn't run the ball enough last night."

— Chris Emma (@CEmma670) September 6, 2019

Well at least he isn't belaboring the obvious. Still sucks he couldn't figure that out in the final 30 minutes. 

@Nads786 is right. OL generates little push. They are athletic, but not a powerful group overall. They cannot dig DL out of their spots with any regularity. They should be trying to outmaneuver and let the RB find a seam, stretches and such are things that should be staples. 

Edited by Sugashane
  • Like 1