FA 2020

drfrey13

Just now, Justwinning said:

Maybe not spend big on DT, but perhaps taking one with one of our 3rds would be the way to go. What if they don't take the next step?

They've both flashed this year. Do you think a mid-round pick is going to be able to take their spot in the rotation? If anything I'd look to move on from Hankins and replace him with a NT that provides more as a pass rusher. 

1 minute ago, NYRaider said:

They've both flashed this year. Do you think a mid-round pick is going to be able to take their spot in the rotation? If anything I'd look to move on from Hankins and replace him with a NT that provides more as a pass rusher. 

Possibly. I'll let Gruden and Mayock decide. You have to have some fallback plan.

7 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

No way.  He is one of the few players I would not touch.  He actually did his job well and the lack of a pass rush is not on him.  He is a huge, literally and figuratively,  piece in our run game and over half his money is already guaranteed for next year.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Justwinning said:

Possibly. I'll let Gruden and Mayock decide. You have to have some fallback plan.

Doubtful. We'll see what happens but we have so many holes across the secondary and LB spot that it doesn't really make sense to invest an early pick into a player that probably won't play. 

5 hours ago, NYRaider said:

Releasing Hankins makes little sense. First, he’s been a very solid run stuffer since he arrived.  He’s a big reason for the turn around in run D.  Second, his cap hit is 6.00 Mil but releasing him only saves 3.25 Mil.  While I’m very big on Being financially conservative with cap space, it’s obvious Hankins Is worth The extra 2.75 mil.  It’ll easily cost 6-10 million to replace him in FA with any comparable DT.  

i do think we could find a pass rushing DT in the 3rd or 4th rounds who could contribute in spot duty.  

Justin Madubuike  (Texas AM) is a very good pass rusher whose projected pretty universally to be a 3rd rounder.  He’s got good size 6’3 305 and uses very good leverage to rush.  Above avg vs run.

Raequan Williams (Mich St) or Tyler Clark (Georgia) or Possibly declaring Ross Blacklock (TCU) Would be good round 4-5 picks.

ideally, IMO we and Chicago lose our next 2 games and we end up with #9 and #14.  Maybe we can trade down with one of them and get back a 2nd or trade up from the 3rd and get Marvin Wilson in early/mid round 2.  Hes the ideal 1 or 3 tech both speed and bull rush pass rushing DT that can really collapse the pocket and allow guys like Ferrell or Crosby to get clean up sacks.  Hall has shown he can do it, as have Hurst but having an extra DT to do it on a more often occasion would be immensely helpful to the pass rush.  I also think a pure speed DE (I’d be down to even sign Vic Beasley or get someone similar) would be very helpful.  We are lacking both types of DLmen.

2 hours ago, agarcia34 said:

John Middlekauf mentioned Tom Brady as an option for the Raiders if Brady decides to leave NE. That would be something if that happened. Would be the ideal vet QB Gruden loves. That they can sell Vegas to for a year or two. 

I liked him at first, but he guys just a ****** I couldn’t stand his arrogance.  That’s a pretty outlandish outcome to even speak out loud.  

5 hours ago, Justwinning said:

I know @MrOaktown_56 is advocating for Nick Kwiatkowski (Bears ILB) to sign with the Raiders. He's intriguing since I've seen him play well in the stretches that I've seen. Anyone watch a lot of Bears football? Would he be someone that can help us out?

This is prolly going to start agitate @MrOaktown_56but Kwiatkowski just isn’t the player he’s being made out to be.  I posted a video from a Bears fan which gives a pretty back and forth analysis of him.  He’s a good run stuffer who plays smart but can’t cover.  He almost didn’t make it out of camp this year.  He’s shined on a good defense because his assignment is limited and he’s not asked to do a lot, only what he’s shown their DC he’s capable of.  And that definitely isn’t covering TEs.  IMO you pay the few million more to get Schobert or Littleton because There’s far more value/production from them than the difference in cost.   If you just can’t sign those two you search for cheap 2nd or third tier guys for a couple million because there isn’t much difference in value/production.  He wants to pay Kwiatkowski 8-12 million and o guarantee you he’s only giving us 4-6 million in value.

11 hours ago, OG_C2X said:

The thing that stands out to me about this graphic is we are talking about HARGRAVE and Armstead etc while we are looking for a guy to start over the 4 guy on that list lol

I hate PFF just found that interesting.

I mentioned Hargrave not just for pass rush.  He’s also a good run defender.  The reason I think we need a DT is so Hurst doesn’t have to start.  I’d rather keep him mostly but not purely for run downs.

9 hours ago, Geezy said:

Around mid season I decided not to judge the defense until we fixed the LB position. Hard to judge the DL or Secondary when the Lb core is constantly putting us in bad position. 

Crosby, Mullen, Abram, Ferrell, Hankins, Hurst are guys i look to contribute next year. I’ll bring back Harris for Depth.

id bring back Jordan and Joseph as well to add to that group. 

we need a whole new LB core, so like 4 new guys lol I’d sign 2 and draft 2. 1 DE, 1 DT, 1-2 CBs, 1 S. That’s 8-9 guys, we need to focus on 2 high end guys, 2 solid starters and two quality depth guys In FA. That’s leaves us with finding 2-3 contributors in the draft.

sounds like a lot but if we attack the defense like we did then offense last year I think we can improve the defense a ton.

on offense we need WR1, RB2, OL and WR depth and QB competition.

id like for us to sign a solid Vet WR to compete with Zay and Renfrow for #3. Draft a WR1. Vet RBs can be had for cheap in FA, as can depth on OL. I like Good and Devey as back ups, I’d give Gabe another year, let him get healthy. I’d also bring in a vet type QB(Mariota?)or spend a 3 on a QB to push DC. 

in other words, Mayock has his work cut out for him. 

I think Lee could be that 3rd “Starting” LB alongside 2 stud LBs (first rounder and top FA signing)  especially if we resign Joseph and use Abram and Hopefully first round pick Isaiah Simmons in hybrid roles out of the 4-2-5 defense that teams use +/- 40-60% the time.  It’s not like Lee as a starter means he’s playing every down, in fact he’d likely get 40%of the snaps anyways.  Also, Morrow has shown hes not a starter and has faults but he’s still a very good backup.

i think we only need 3 new LBs, not 4, at most.  Draft a OLB (please please please Isaiah Simmons) and sign an upper tier MLB like Schobert, Littleton, etc.  maybe sign another backup vet to replace Wilbur (ya know, the capable to fill in as a starter in short spurts but mainly play ST kinda guy.... Example: Joe Thomas from Dallas) or spend a mid round (3-5) draft pick on a LB.  I’d bring Compton back at least to camp, he’s been decent.  At worst we have to 2 guys in Lee and Morrow who are at worst the top backups and ST guys.  I think we only Carry 5 LBs next year.  When we did 4 this year that was a mistake and we have to know that by now.

• Like 1