Week 1 GDT - Green Bay Packers vs Seattle Seahawks

CWood21

1 hour ago, ReadyToThump said:

The guy put his forearm on Adams' throat. It's pretty common for refs to screw up their wording when they're announcing penalties... plus you have to remember the bs call they gave Cobb for "taunting" Lane after he made a catch, that to me was an even more questionable call...

Yea I think the forearm stuff is just your garden-variety retaliation that goes on between NFL plays under piles and things like that. NFL is probably trying to (understandably) legislate that out, but I doubt it gets an ejection if this was 10 yr ago.

I didn't really have a problem w/ the taunting one & thought it was pretty unnecessary on Cobb's part. I'm ok w/ guys having fun and celebrating w/ teammates, but don't really like the in-your-face "tough guy" interactions w/ other players after plays even though I know it happens more and more now (kinda like when players go out of their way to step over opponents). Show that you're tough between the whistles and then move on to the next play. 

55 minutes ago, TransientTexan said:

I didn't really have a problem w/ the taunting one & thought it was pretty unnecessary on Cobb's part. Show that you're tough between the whistles and then move on to the next play. 

Cobb was in his face right away and kept yammering at him him; that was an easy call for the Ref to make and Cobb was a dumbass for doing it.

1 hour ago, Shanedorf said:

Cobb was in his face right away and kept yammering at him him; that was an easy call for the Ref to make and Cobb was a dumbass for doing it.

Eh, maybe if they called that when it happens multiple times in every single game.  I saw pretty much the same thing a good amount of times in the other games I watched and Cobb was the only one I saw get hit.  If a seahawks player did that to one of our guys I wouldn't have expected it to be a penalty.

47 minutes ago, Stevein2012 said:

Eh, maybe if they called that when it happens multiple times in every single game.  I saw pretty much the same thing a good amount of times in the other games I watched and Cobb was the only one I saw get hit.  If a seahawks player did that to one of our guys I wouldn't have expected it to be a penalty.

They knew they hate each other and didn't want to let it start.

8 hours ago, {Family Ghost} said:

Buck & Aikman sure seemed to have a bit of agenda .. focus in a couple questionable calls and beat it to death.  The casual fan comes away thinking the Seahawks got robbed, but if they were really watching they would have noticed the Packers winning both lines of scrimmage, dominating time of possession, and holding the Seahawks to 225 total yds.

Someone needed to slap Rodgers and McCarthy in the first half .. they were doing the dance with the football routine where they end up holding the ball too long while eventually taking sacks.  They should have just went with west coast offense and methodically moved the ball down the field.  Seemed like they started pretty strong, but then after the interception it was a mess for a quarter and a half or so.  

Yeah it did seem like there was some type of agenda there.  The refs were their normal sub-par selves missing call after call, like usual, but they focused exclusively on the calls that the Seahawks didn't get.  Which was strange, that usually doesn't happen.

8 hours ago, TheOnlyThing said:

The D played great yesterday and I agree that the offseason additions provide reason for optimism that the D can be a force this season.

However, it is worth noting that just 9 months ago a pretty crappy D, one that would finish the season ranked 31st against the pass and 21st in points allowed, gave up just 10 points to this same Seahawks' offense. 

I think we'll know a lot more about whether the D is for real or not after Sunday night's contest in Atlanta.

That defense didn't play this well.  Wilson threw a bunch of INTs that game with made it an easier win.  It wasn't a dominant defense performance like this was.  This defense played, and has been playing in the preseason, like they're a Super Bowl caliber squad.  It's a swarming defense that's going to be very hard to run against, barring injury.

It's really hard to tell because Seattle's OL may be absolute garbage, like bottom 3, but a good chunk of that was the Packers defensive front too. Daniels was obviously dominant but Kenny Clark is a force in the middle too. No one else even played much really. Looking at snap counts those two guys had 37 and 38 snaps, Lowry 15 and RJF 6 and that's it for DL. Thre are plenty of reasons to like this group.

Interestingly Brice played 47/49 snaps, and 3 CBs had 40+ That explains the lack of DL snaps though. They call it a 3-4 but it's really a base dime 2-3 with Burnett playing a S/LB fluid type role. When King and Jones are ready to work into those packages too, this a much more talented and deep group on the back end than I remember in Green Bay.

29 minutes ago, spilltray said:

this a much more talented and deep group on the back end than I remember in Green Bay.

Deeper, yes - but not more talented than the prime 2009/2010 years of Tramon, Wood, Shields and Collins. That group was something else...sigh

I'm with you that this is the best group SINCE then, however.

Shields was raw as you can't believe at that point. He made plenty of mistakes early. Tramon was solid, but he didn't have the athletic ability these guys do. He was polished and smart though so he was still a good CB, just different type. Woodson was amazing and Collins :'( but Woodson was a CB and the other S spot wasn't settled yet. I think Clinton-Dix may be Collins equal, and Burnett is very good as well. House and Tramon are equivalents, and a rookie Shields vs Rollins, Randall, and King,

2 hours ago, spilltray said:

Shields was raw as you can't believe at that point. He made plenty of mistakes early. Tramon was solid, but he didn't have the athletic ability these guys do. He was polished and smart though so he was still a good CB, just different type. Woodson was amazing and Collins :'( but Woodson was a CB and the other S spot wasn't settled yet. I think Clinton-Dix may be Collins equal, and Burnett is very good as well. House and Tramon are equivalents, and a rookie Shields vs Rollins, Randall, and King,

You vastly underrate Tramon and Collins if you compare them to House and HHCD.

There's no comparing this secondary to the SB year, you had 2 player playing not at a Pro Bowl level, but HOF level, then in the playoffs you had 3 guys playing at that level.

4 hours ago, spilltray said:

Tramon was a 4.3 guy with ball skills. He and House are NOT equivalents. Tramon was excellent in his prime. He was a better athlete than anyone not named King in our current secondary. 

Archived