Player Performance Talk 2018 (How they're playing; struggles, bright spots, etc.)

Mind Character

32 minutes ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

There's no shame in bulking Schobert up 5-7 LBs and making him a 2 -down backer and drafting Skai Moore who is the draft's best coverage backer. Now you have effective LB play all the way around. 

I agree, which is why Williams’ personnel use has been so confusing. In LA last year, they only used a true 3rd LB maybe a quarter of the time. Mark Barron was that hybrid safety/LB who played close to the line and defended the TE. In passing downs, at the very least, you’d think they’d consider using Peppers closer to the line and taking Schobert out. Williams has coached this defense pretty much the opposite of what I expected.

30 minutes ago, OttoGrahamsGhost said:

I know our LBer's are getting called out a lot.  Is it 100% their fault?  I think the scheme that the D is running has a lot to do with that.  The opposing QB doesn't have to look of a safety, heck most of the time the safety that is in is playing over top one side or another.  Our LBs end up 1 on 1 with a RB or TE with no help from over the top.  Peppers or Kindred aren't there to smack them after they catch the ball or interrupt the passing lanes.  It's unfortunate that the QB can completely disregard 1 player all game unless they are dumb enough to run all go routes 4-5 times a game like we do.  I thought Kirksey was doing better at coverage last year and with Collins and Schobert's athleticism they should have been fine.  I blame it on the scheme. 

I still think our LB play is probably one of the most improved position on the team.

41 minutes ago, NateDawg said:

I agree, which is why Williams’ personnel use has been so confusing. In LA last year, they only used a true 3rd LB maybe a quarter of the time. Mark Barron was that hybrid safety/LB who played close to the line and defended the TE. In passing downs, at the very least, you’d think they’d consider using Peppers closer to the line and taking Schobert out. Williams has coached this defense pretty much the opposite of what I expected.

goodly?

17 hours ago, Kiwibrown said:

@MWil23 I like BBC a head of McCourty going forward. He is a true player. 

I like McCourty for another year or three. I like BBC a lot as the nickel/slot CB, but I'm not sure I love him on the outside against your typical #1/#2 big bodied receivers. I think that CB is a definite priority going forward. Hopefully Wilson pans out, but we definitely need a Jamar Taylor replacement ASAP in my opinion, and probably one for a 30 year old McCourty in the next year or two.

• 3 weeks later...

I dont get the hate for Jamar Taylor. His style of play is great for nickel back. His knack for jumping routes and ability to actually tackle combined with his lack of size/speed to go up against big/fast outside WRs is suited for NB

What I want to know is everyones opinion on Shon Coleman at RT. Im not the best at noticing/grading oline play

1 hour ago, ohiogenius said:

I dont get the hate for Jamar Taylor. His style of play is great for nickel back. His knack for jumping routes and ability to actually tackle combined with his lack of size/speed to go up against big/fast outside WRs is suited for NB

What I want to know is everyones opinion on Shon Coleman at RT. Im not the best at noticing/grading oline play

Taylor doesn't take.

He was better last year when he got to play press coverage and jump more routes. 

I liked Coleman this year. he seemed to get off his spot once in a while but overall did a good job. I would like him here for the next 5 years doing his job. 

Archived