Player Performance Talk 2018 (How they're playing; struggles, bright spots, etc.)

Mind Character

Shon Coleman wouldve gone higher if not for cancer and injury. I do think for a first year player he has been okay. Hopefully he keeps developing as time goes on so we can forget about the RT position. 

Drango is a guard. I truly think he can become a solid starter there and wont have to worry about his lack of quickness. We need to draft a tackle in case Coleman or Thomas gets injured. 

JC Tretter needs to get stronger. Ive seen him get blown up a bit more than I would like. I think we have been spoiled by great C play for a while.

I like Joe Schobert but you can tell he lacks change of direction speed of an off the ball LB. Solid MLB starter but I think he would be better at SAM and Collins at MIKE

Josh Gordon is elite.

Corey Coleman has inconsistent hands. Good speed and can get separation which is good. 

Jamar Taylor is a NB through and through. Guy can make plays in small areas but he cant guard long routes. 

Jason McCourtey has been a good find but i think hes a number 2 CB. We need a #1 bad.

Kizer is so inconsistent. He keeps reverting to anti clutch under pressure and his accuracy is garbage. He should be the backup/developmental guy next year. 

Kessler needs to go to a WCO. Period. 

Peppers has been utilized so horribly it hurts. He has been making a few more plays the last 2 games. 

Kindred is playing decent as well. I just think we have two guys in who can play SS. Peppers would be better since he has more athletic ability and learning how to take angles all this year while playing FS will help him at SS in the future.

1 hour ago, OttoGrahamsGhost said:

I think he was placed on IR for the season.  I could be wrong, but he will be in training camp next year.  Hopefully he provides a boost to our secondary.

I just saw on the website he is on PUP, so doesn't that mean he can return at some point in the year?

Don't they have to be on IR- Designated to Return to be able to come off of IR? I'm not 100% sure.  But I think when they go on to IR they have to have that little DR next to it to make them eligible. 

You can bring two players back from PUP or IR-DR now.  So he could come back theoretically but I haven't heard anything about him practicing with the team yet.  So I doubt he will.

1 minute ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

I continue to say, Caleb Brantley can be special if cultivated the right way

This got me to thinking: If we HAD to make out a depth chart of young guys to build on going into the draft and free agency, here's mine:

QB: NONE (Kizer as developmental 3rd stringer)

RB: Duke Johnson (as 3rd down/slot hybridg) We will need a true RB#1

WR: Gordon

WR: Coleman

WR: DRAFT PICK in 1st/2nd as a playmaker and insurance policy for Gordon

TE: Njoku, DeValve

LT: Thomas, Drango

LG: Bitonio, Drango

C: Tretter

RG: Zeitler

RT: Coleman

DE: Garrett

DE: Ogbah

DT: Ogunjobi

DT: Shelton, Brantley

LB: Kirksey

LB: Collins

LB: Schobert

S: Peppers

S: Kindred, Draft Pick

CB: McCourty

CB: DRAFT PICK/Wilson

There's talent on this team. We just need a few guys at VERY KEY POSITIONS to put this all together and for our young guys to continue to improve.

Our LBs are really bad in pass defense. I know we are without Collins, but Schobert gets picked on really bad. Granted, there’s a huge window between the LB unit and our bird in the sky (Jabrill), but we have to guard tight ends better at the position. 

For the most part though, I do agree with @MWil23. I do think if we can bring in a couple guys that can cover, that could also help the pass rush out. On paper, defense looks pretty talented but youthful. Just need to figure out a DC that knows how to use and develop these guys. I’m all for Minkah potentially, but I also think there’s something to be said for having veterans in position groups to help out these young kids. We could have Minkah, Peppers, Kindred. What they need is a seasoned, veteran safety who can coach some of their youth, with boots on the ground. You can say that for several position groups. Ultimately, development is on the individual and the coaches, but teammates with experience can also play a big role.

Do you think it would "stick" if we started referring to the position Peppers has been placed in all season the "drone?"  

Pretty much all he gets to do.  

Hover around, watch the game.  Hell, they should give him some google glasses, and let him tune into camera that they mount over the field.

Wait, nevermind.  They only install that camera if good teams are playing.  

6 minutes ago, NateDawg said:

Our LBs are really bad in pass defense. I know we are without Collins, but Schobert gets picked on really bad. Granted, there’s a huge window between the LB unit and our bird in the sky (Jabrill), but we have to guard tight ends better at the position. 

For the most part though, I do agree with @MWil23. I do think if we can bring in a couple guys that can cover, that could also help the pass rush out. On paper, defense looks pretty talented but youthful. Just need to figure out a DC that knows how to use and develop these guys. I’m all for Minkah potentially, but I also think there’s something to be said for having veterans in position groups to help out these young kids. We could have Minkah, Peppers, Kindred. What they need is a seasoned, veteran safety who can coach some of their youth, with boots on the ground. You can say that for several position groups. Ultimately, development is on the individual and the coaches, but teammates with experience can also play a big role.

There's no shame in bulking Schobert up 5-7 LBs and making him a 2 -down backer and drafting Skai Moore who is the draft's best coverage backer. Now you have effective LB play all the way around. 

4 minutes ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

There's no shame in bulking Schobert up 5-7 LBs and making him a 2 -down backer and drafting Skai Moore who is the draft's best coverage backer. Now you have effective LB play all the way around. 

I know our LBer's are getting called out a lot.  Is it 100% their fault?  I think the scheme that the D is running has a lot to do with that.  The opposing QB doesn't have to look of a safety, heck most of the time the safety that is in is playing over top one side or another.  Our LBs end up 1 on 1 with a RB or TE with no help from over the top.  Peppers or Kindred aren't there to smack them after they catch the ball or interrupt the passing lanes.  It's unfortunate that the QB can completely disregard 1 player all game unless they are dumb enough to run all go routes 4-5 times a game like we do.  I thought Kirksey was doing better at coverage last year and with Collins and Schobert's athleticism they should have been fine.  I blame it on the scheme. 

Archived