Week 1 GDT - Philadelphia Eagles @ Washington Redskins

MikeT14

2 hours ago, mike23md said:

I believe the defense will do well to start the game but run out of gas late considering its the first game. This offense looks sketchy at best. That run game and offensive line are going to be tested by a stout front 7 from the Eagles. I don't like the view on the interior OL at C and LG. 

WR's are far better than their CB's. But still, no chemistry with these WR's and no status on Doctson. 

On paper, I can say we win a close one cause I don't have a lot of belief in Wentz, but this will be a very stressful game as a Redskins fan. 

20-17

But deep down, I really feel like 28-17 Eagles win. I am just not excited about this offense going into this season. 

Doctson is good to go, he's been practicing all week. Crowder has a hip pointer but said it wasn't major and he'll play. We are going to have all of our weapons for week 1 and for the first time so far this year. 

9 hours ago, turtle28 said:

Doctson is good to go, he's been practicing all week. Crowder has a hip pointer but said it wasn't major and he'll play. We are going to have all of our weapons for week 1 and for the first time so far this year. 

While that is good to hear, I am still skeptical from what I saw of the lack of a running game. Mack Brown seems to be the only RB that can have good vision and be the 1 cut RB that Jay likes. I think that Kareem Hunt is what Jay Gruden wanted Rob Kelley to be. 

33 minutes ago, mike23md said:

While that is good to hear, I am still skeptical from what I saw of the lack of a running game. Mack Brown seems to be the only RB that can have good vision and be the 1 cut RB that Jay likes. I think that Kareem Hunt is what Jay Gruden wanted Rob Kelley to be. 

I hear you, but I think with the running game, we just didn't have enough reps to really get any kind of rhythm going in the preseason. We also faced the Ravens week 1, which might be the first best run D in the NFL, definitely top 5.

I'm definitely as concerned as you about the running game and that's why I advocated so much that Chris Thompson be featured more than the other backs because they can use him on more perimeter runs as well as run screens with him - ala what SD/NO & Phila does with Sproles and what Phil's did so much with Brian Westbrook - on wheel routes as well as his usual check down routes, option routes and from the slot as they've done for the last two years.

I just think if we did that and got Thompson 7 to 10 rushes a game as well as his usual hand full of receptions, that he'd generate 70 to 100 yards of offense a game between rushing and receiving. 

I 100% agree with you about Mack Brown, I've been calling for him to get more chances to play since the 2016 preseason, I like Kelley as well but frankly every time I saw the two I always felt that Brown outplayed him when he got the touches. 100% agree that he seems to have better vision and burst than Jones & Kelley did last year and Kelley and Perine do this year.

I don't get why he hasn't gotten more chances and more carries but the only thing I can think of is that he's not as good in pass protection as Kelley or something like that. That's literally the only explanation I can come up with because while I like Kelley, I've never been overly sold that he's definitely a guy who should be our featured back. I'd much rather see Thompson be featured more while Kelley/Perine be his change of pace for 5 to 10 carries a game or for Brown to get a chance to be featured more.

I honestly don't know what Gruden has ever expected Kelley to be. I see flashes in him - like the Packers game last year and a few other games - and I guess that's what you're supposed to see in a young back who's still improving but I'm just not sold he's the guy long term. Hopefully if he isn't, Perine will end up being that guy or Mack Brown.

I guess when I really think about it, maybe Gruden sees some of BenJarvus Green-Ellis in Kelley. If you remember when Gruden first was the OC in Cincy they BJGE was the 1st down and sometimes 2nd back, and short yardage back while other players like Giovani Bernard played the Chris Thompson role. 

In 2012 Green-Ellis rushed 278 times for over 1,000 yards with 6 yds and in 2013 he rushed 220 times for about 800 yards with 7 TDs.

13 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

This may as well be an Eagles home game. Pretty sad. 

You at the game? I declined to go today. I'm going to the 49ers and Vikings games this year. All I have time for and all I can stomach (in terms of dealing with Fed Ex field) for this year.

10 minutes ago, Thaiphoon said:

You at the game? I declined to go today. I'm going to the 49ers and Vikings games this year. All I have time for and all I can stomach (in terms of dealing with Fed Ex field) for this year.

Yep. The girlfriend got me really good seats and it's her first game. Walking to the stadium, I swear it was 60-40 eagles fans. Crazy. 

Archived