Jim Harbaugh's future at Michigan

naptownskinsfan

5 hours ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Ummmm WSU and UW aren't competition?

no why is WSU and UW competive? Look at this upcoming recruiting class. Washington has 3 Californa recruits out of the states top players before USC has their first. So right now Washington is out recruiting USC. Urbz would drastically change that. 

Right now USC has the 8th best class in the conference, that sure as hell wont happen under Urbz. 

Now that kids are going to USC again, the 2nd tier kids are going to Washington. Now those 2nd tier kids arent going to WSU. So now WSU is getting more 3rd tier kids again.

Urbz prolly would come in and instantly pull a top5 recruiting class. You give him the card that he can pull kids to southern cali, that isnt a card he has never had in his recruiting deck.

2 hours ago, buno67 said:

no why is WSU and UW competive? Look at this upcoming recruiting class. Washington has 3 Californa recruits out of the states top players before USC has their first. So right now Washington is out recruiting USC. Urbz would drastically change that. 

Right now USC has the 8th best class in the conference, that sure as hell wont happen under Urbz. 

Now that kids are going to USC again, the 2nd tier kids are going to Washington. Now those 2nd tier kids arent going to WSU. So now WSU is getting more 3rd tier kids again.

Urbz prolly would come in and instantly pull a top5 recruiting class. You give him the card that he can pull kids to southern cali, that isnt a card he has never had in his recruiting deck.

While Urban Meyer will definitely change the balance of power in the Pac-12, let's not pretend like Washington and Wazzu are going away.  Chris Pedersen and Mike Leach are a step up recruiting wise from their predecessors, especially Pedersen.  He can get a whole lot for Washington out of the mountain and northwest regions, and will still get his out of California.  

14 hours ago, naptownskinsfan said:

While Urban Meyer will definitely change the balance of power in the Pac-12, let's not pretend like Washington and Wazzu are going away.  Chris Pedersen and Mike Leach are a step up recruiting wise from their predecessors, especially Pedersen.  He can get a whole lot for Washington out of the mountain and northwest regions, and will still get his out of California.  

Nah.

Urban going to USC would have a similar impact on CFB as Nick Saban going to Alabama. Did we really care that Dan Mullen was occasionally relevant at MSU when Saban was there?

The PAC12 sucks, and Urban at a blue blood turns it into a one school conference.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, naptownskinsfan said:

Urban would sign a top 3 class in 2021 at USC if he were to get hired this December and he would have USC in the playoffs in his 2nd season. I think Urban can learn from some of the mistakes he made in the past and be even better.

On 9/22/2019 at 3:48 PM, JammerHammer21 said:

All large fanbases are irrational, and most people just want something to happen without thinking about what happens next. Fire Harbaugh and...? How many coaches that would be actual candidates are going to stake their claim at a place where you can win about 10 games a year and still have that not matter at all if you can't beat one team? And who is the person that can actually compete with OSU in a less talented region? These are all things people don't give any thought to when they're angry. They just think that firing Harbaugh will fix all issues because they're unhappy with the current state of things. Many people like that also think someone like Lincoln Riley would come here.

Unless the program is in position to completely unravel, firing Harbaugh just to hire someone else who can't actually compete with OSU isn't smart. The next hire has to be good enough to avoid sending Michigan into the purgatory of FSU/USC/etc. territory, but that's already where Harbaugh has Michigan. I really don't see who's out there right now that's actually going to be able to do that, unless it's a complete dice roll on Venables that he can lead a program. Matt Campbell seems like an obvious fit, and would likely recruit well, but is a guy with a few upsets that also can't beat a main rival (which is Iowa) really the guy that's going to get Michigan to another level?

If they get killed by PSU, ND, and OSU, and also drop to teams like MSU or Iowa at home, then yeah, probably have to do something. Not going to sit here and say they're going to salvage the season and make everything alright, but there's enough talent to compete with almost every team if the coaching staff can figure out what in the goddamn hell they're doing (and again, not saying that will happen given what we've actually seen).

Obviously, it'll depend on how the year goes, but there are some interesting names out there. I would say the leading candidates should be: Matt Campbell, Josh Heupel, and Chris Klieman. I am a big fan of Bill Clark, but I think he makes more sense for a school like South Carolina (Clark or Venables). You could also check and see on some of the bigger names like Mike Gundy, Bob Stoops, Brian Kelly (ehhhh), etc.

2 hours ago, jrry32 said:

Obviously, it'll depend on how the year goes, but there are some interesting names out there. I would say the leading candidates should be: Matt Campbell, Josh Heupel, and Chris Klieman. I am a big fan of Bill Clark, but I think he makes more sense for a school like South Carolina (Clark or Venables). You could also check and see on some of the bigger names like Mike Gundy, Bob Stoops, Brian Kelly (ehhhh), etc.

Stoops is the only guy that could be an obvious upgrade there. Kelly would never come. Mike Gundy and his complete hatred of recruiting while also failing to beat his main rival? No. Klieman, Heupel, etc. are not ready ready at all for a program of Michigan's stature.

Michigan's going through a lot of transition costs right now with Gattis. I'd rather go through the transition cost of another OC than an entirely new staff that is probably going to lead to the program being gutted - and even if talent remains, there's still installing a new everything.

Unless Michigan gets destroyed the rest of the year, Harbaugh isn't getting fired. The fans who want him gone don't even realize what a coaching search will be like when there isn't a Harbaugh-level candidate (at the time) that might actually come. 

Edited by JammerHammer21

1 hour ago, JammerHammer21 said:

Stoops is the only guy that could be an obvious upgrade there. Kelly would never come. Mike Gundy and his complete hatred of recruiting while also failing to beat his main rival? No. Klieman, Heupel, etc. are not ready ready at all for a program of Michigan's stature.

Michigan's going through a lot of transition costs right now with Gattis. I'd rather go through the transition cost of another OC than an entirely new staff that is probably going to lead to the program being gutted - and even if talent remains, there's still installing a new everything.

Unless Michigan gets destroyed the rest of the year, Harbaugh isn't getting fired. The fans who want him gone don't even realize what a coaching search will be like when there isn't a Harbaugh-level candidate (at the time) that might actually come. 

1. I'm not saying Harbaugh will get fired. I am discussing it in case he either gets fired or chooses to go back to the NFL.

2. I don't know how you come to the conclusion that those coaches aren't ready. They've proven themselves as HCs. The next step is for them to lead a major program. Now, Klieman needs to have a strong year at KSU to prove himself, but he's off to a good start. If he wins 8 to 10 games, I think you have to consider him for the major jobs. He was dominant at NDSU. Who do you think is ready to run a program like Michigan? Ohio State just hired Ryan Day. Would he have been ready for a program of Michigan's stature?

3. I don't agree that Harbaugh deserves to be fired, but that isn't the discussion. Fans need to be careful what they wish for with coaches. But that's irrelevant to the discussion. I don't think Michigan will necessarily downgrade if they find a coach who can bring something unique to the table.

Edited by jrry32

23 hours ago, naptownskinsfan said:

Washington is pulling Cali kids that dont want to go to USC at the moment. Urbz would greatly change that. Washington is out recruiting USC in the state of California right now for the next class with their top tier kids. 

Yea Pederson can still get kids out of the mountains and northwest region but now so can Urbz and Urbz is a better recruiter. Also Urbz will be able to build a staff up with better recruiters than what Washington has.

I dont want Urbz to get back into coaching, if he does, he will be taking a couple of important guys from tOSU with him. Ohio State director of player personnel Mark Pantoni prolly follows to USC and so does tOSU S&C coach

• 4 weeks later...

I mean, this is not going to be popular, and I'm sure some will accuse me of bias, but the reality is this:

*Jim Harbaugh has UM in a MUCH better position than they were before he got there. They're almost nationally relevant again.

*UM fans want to believe that they're a blue blood program. They ARE NOT. They're a solid program that has won exactly ONE National Title since World War II.

*Yes, it's ok to want/expect more, but he shouldn't be run out of town. You're basically a poor man's Wisconsin or Penn State right now...pretty good to solid almost every year, capable of beating everyone, likely to lose to teams that are better than you more often  than not, while playing a lot of teams close and pulling the occasional upset. I say "poor man's" because they haven't won their division yet, let alone a conference title, much less beat many Top ranked programs or rivals.

• Like 1