Jim Harbaugh's future at Michigan

naptownskinsfan

7 hours ago, MWil23 said:

I mean, this is not going to be popular, and I'm sure some will accuse me of bias, but the reality is this:

*Jim Harbaugh has UM in a MUCH better position than they were before he got there. They're almost nationally relevant again.

*UM fans want to believe that they're a blue blood program. They ARE NOT. They're a solid program that has won exactly ONE National Title since World War II.

*Yes, it's ok to want/expect more, but he shouldn't be run out of town. You're basically a poor man's Wisconsin or Penn State right now...pretty good to solid almost every year, capable of beating everyone, likely to lose to teams that are better than you more often  than not, while playing a lot of teams close and pulling the occasional upset. I say "poor man's" because they haven't won their division yet, let alone a conference title, much less beat many Top ranked programs or rivals.

Might as well see how popular this post is

@JammerHammer21

@Thelonebillsfan

@1King

@winitall

I think it’s hard to argue right now. Brandon Peters has beaten more top ten teams with Illinois then he did while at Michigan. Harbaugh has beaten the teams that he should beat mostly, but they haven’t beaten any top tier teams. They’re for sure a cut below the top programs right now, and there’s decent separation there. 

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, NateDawg said:

I think it’s hard to argue right now. Brandon Peters has beaten more top ten teams with Illinois then he did while at Michigan. Harbaugh has beaten the teams that he should beat mostly, but they haven’t beaten any top tier teams. They’re for sure a cut below the top programs right now, and there’s decent separation there. 

Hey, Brandon Peters beat two top 10 teams as a member of Michigan in 2016 when they beat PSU and Wisconsin!

• Like 2

8 hours ago, MWil23 said:

I mean, this is not going to be popular, and I'm sure some will accuse me of bias, but the reality is this:

*Jim Harbaugh has UM in a MUCH better position than they were before he got there. They're almost nationally relevant again.

*UM fans want to believe that they're a blue blood program. They ARE NOT. They're a solid program that has won exactly ONE National Title since World War II.

*Yes, it's ok to want/expect more, but he shouldn't be run out of town. You're basically a poor man's Wisconsin or Penn State right now...pretty good to solid almost every year, capable of beating everyone, likely to lose to teams that are better than you more often  than not, while playing a lot of teams close and pulling the occasional upset. I say "poor man's" because they haven't won their division yet, let alone a conference title, much less beat many Top ranked programs or rivals.

Michigan is a blue blood. Breaking through for a national title is the only thing Bo didn't do - the program was incredible otherwise, and blue blood doesn't have as much to do with recent history anyways (that's why it's blue blood). The program was in terrible shape and getting to the next level is very tough - OSU 2016 is probably the tipping point that the Harbaugh era won't recover from since it didn't pull off the victory.

I think they're pretty much on equal ground with Penn State, especially considering Harbaugh has a winning record against Franklin and they won a Big Ten Championship in a year that Michigan beat them 49-10. There's been tons of self-inflicted wounds in the Harbaugh era, but a hell of a lot of rotten luck too.

*Kirby Smart has UGA in a MUCH better position than they were before he got there. They're almost nationally relevant again.

*UGA fans want to believe that they're a blue blood program. They ARE NOT. They're a solid program that has won exactly ONE National Title since World War II.

*Yes, it's ok to want/expect more, but he shouldn't be run out of town. You're basically a poor man's Auburn or Florida right now...pretty good to solid almost every year, capable of beating everyone, likely to lose to teams that use a backup quarterback more often  than not, while playing a lot of teams close and pulling the occasional upset. I say "poor man's" because they haven't won the college football playoff yet, let alone a heisman, much less beat many Top ranked programs or rivals backup quarterbacks.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, JammerHammer21 said:

Michigan is a blue blood.

Respectfully, in it's historical context of Medieval times, blood blood means "The Elite" to the point of being above not just the peasants, but also the nobles and aristocrats. If we're using the same analogy, I'd consider Michigan a definite Lord/Aristocrat. They can definitely be successful, waging successful battles like that of the battle of Runnymede, forcing the king to sign the Magna Carta, thus limiting his power. (Translation: Pull off an occasional upset against an actual blue blood and maybe even stake their claim on a National Title once every so often, but not in quite some time).

Breaking through for a national title is the only thing Bo didn't do - the program was incredible otherwise, and blue blood doesn't have as much to do with recent history anyways (that's why it's blue blood).

If you want to go with that definition of a blue blood meaning "coming from old money" or a "formerly socially prevalent family" then sure.

The program was in terrible shape and getting to the next level is very tough - OSU 2016 is probably the tipping point that the Harbaugh era won't recover from since it didn't pull off the victory.

It's definitely tough, but I still think that they CAN rebound if they give him enough time and resources. I don't think a lone heartbreaker is enough to "not recover from".

I think they're pretty much on equal ground with Penn State, especially considering Harbaugh has a winning record against Franklin and they won a Big Ten Championship in a year that Michigan beat them 49-10. There's been tons of self-inflicted wounds in the Harbaugh era, but a hell of a lot of rotten luck too.

Penn State has won 3 conference Titles since UM has won their last, as has Wisconsin. PSU is 6-5 against UM since the last time UM won the B1G. Wisconsin is 6-4 over the same time frame.

• Like 5

9 hours ago, catcheryea said:

*Kirby Smart has UGA in a MUCH better position than they were before he got there. They're almost nationally relevant again.

*UGA fans want to believe that they're a blue blood program. They ARE NOT. They're a solid program that has won exactly ONE National Title since World War II.

*Yes, it's ok to want/expect more, but he shouldn't be run out of town. You're basically a poor man's Auburn or Florida right now...pretty good to solid almost every year, capable of beating everyone, likely to lose to teams that use a backup quarterback more often  than not, while playing a lot of teams close and pulling the occasional upset. I say "poor man's" because they haven't won the college football playoff yet, let alone a heisman, much less beat many Top ranked programs or rivals backup quarterbacks.

So still better than having Gus Malzahn run the program right?  

On a serious note, I wouldn't have nearly as much of an issue with Smart right now if he could get the offense out of the stone age.  It's predates what Les Miles ran at LSU.  

He also picked the wrong QB, on top of not being able to beat Saban's backups as you stated above.  

9 hours ago, catcheryea said:

Respectfully, in it's historical context of the SEC, Bama is "The Elite" to the point of being above not just Vanderbilt, but also Ole Miss, Tennessee, and Florida. If we're using the same analogy, I'd consider Auburn a definite Lord/Aristocrat. They can definitely be successful, waging successful battles like that of the battle of the Kick Six, forcing King Saban to sign away thousands of Dodger Chargers, thus limiting his power. (Translation: Pull off an occasional upset against an actual blue blood and maybe even stake their claim on a National Title once every so often, but not in quite some time).

25 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

Penn State has won 3 conference Titles since UM has won their last, as has Wisconsin. PSU is 6-5 against UM since the last time UM won the B1G. Wisconsin is 6-4 over the same time frame.

15 hours ago, NateDawg said:

Brandon Peters has beaten more top ten teams with Illinois then he did while at Michigan.

Hey, Brandon Peters beat two top 10 teams as a member of Michigan in 2016 when they beat PSU and Wisconsin!

This is the definition of negging. I've got whiplash.

15 hours ago, JammerHammer21 said:

I think the definition is still me being here after everything. I should have gone the @RuralBill route and just posted on my alt instead

Related image

@1King is @JammerHammer21 confirmed?

Seriously though, 5 years later, ESPN runs this **** front page:

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/27897509/ohio-state-59-wisconsin-0-shocking-blowout-turned-first-college-football-playoff-race-upside-down

Was there some secret meeting where everyone said "hey let's just **** on Wisconsin they're not relevant"?

Edited by ramssuperbowl99
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/27897509/ohio-state-59-wisconsin-0-shocking-blowout-turned-first-college-football-playoff-race-upside-down

Was there some secret meeting where everyone said "hey let's just **** on Wisconsin they're not relevant"?

AzH1Oj4.gif

20 hours ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

I saw that as well, I couldn't believe that. I've never seen that before.