Player Appreciation Thread

RaidersAreOne

1 minute ago, big_palooka said:

I understand ball control offense. But when your in 3rd down throwing short of the sticks, it gets old. When you're losing by 2+ scores and dinking throws it's frustrating. 

I do see that point.  But you cannot sell out just based on situation.  It is like guy getting mad when you're down by said 2 scores and you continue to run the ball.  You have to in order to keep defenses honest.  Throwing short of the sticks... another story completely.  

Imo, the ongoing process with Carr is the staff teaching him to play to his talent level. He's not elite and he'll never be. If he can play within the system, he might be good enough. Playing within this system is first and foremost keeping turnovers to a minimum, staying in manageable down and distances, keeping the offense balanced. There will be some deep shots but not that many. This is not Carr's team or offense anymore. He doesn't have to be the hero. He has a strong running game and a huge oline to take some of the workload off his shoulders. When/if the WRs are better, he could be asked to do more against certain opponents. With the current group, that's not the best option.

4 minutes ago, oakdb36 said:

Imo, the ongoing process with Carr is the staff teaching him to play to his talent level. He's not elite and he'll never be. If he can play within the system, he might be good enough. Playing within this system is first and foremost keeping turnovers to a minimum, staying in manageable down and distances, keeping the offense balanced. There will be some deep shots but not that many. This is not Carr's team or offense anymore. He doesn't have to be the hero. He has a strong running game and a huge oline to take some of the workload off his shoulders. When/if the WRs are better, he could be asked to do more against certain opponents. With the current group, that's not the best option.

I think the issue most of us have is Carr once played at a borderline elite level. Fearless, under control and led a lot of comeback wins. He was a legit MVP candidate in 2016. He's shown flashes of that player and then reverts back to being bland, skittish, etc. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

I think the issue most of us have is Carr once played at a borderline elite level. Fearless, under control and led a lot of comeback wins. He was a legit MVP candidate in 2016. He's shown flashes of that player and then reverts back to being bland, skittish, etc. 

To be fair this is the most I have seen Carr move around the pocket and "scramble". He's improving under Gruden but not exponential amounts. I still think this is a make or break year.

1 minute ago, big_palooka said:

Well, it happened for one year. It wouldn't be the 1st time a QB had a very good season he never could replicate. In 2016, he had better WRs than he has now. He still had some very bad games that year.

I think there is multiple things at play.  If we are comparing to 2016, well it's kinda pointless.  Different scheme for one.  Way worse WRs for another.  The league has also been trending toward short controlled passing games for some time.

Just for reference, but most of the action from every QB is in the less than 20 yard range.

https://nextgenstats.nfl.com/charts/list/pass

Carr is noticeably different from being injured. It’s in his head and he can be good enough like that or 2016 great if he moves past that. We all want the greatness but we can still win with good enough and a sprinkle of greatness in the 4th quarter.

11 hours ago, big_palooka said:

To be fair he had a lot more talent around him in 2016. I think he’s playing more toward the talent around him this year at least. Once we get some more playmakers our offense will expand.