head coach power rankings?

DoleINGout

2 minutes ago, jdzimme3 said:

kyle shanahan being way underrated here.  49ers had a mid ranked offense last year playing with their 3rd string qb and a random sampling of nobodies at rbs and wrs.  He is the 49ers most valuable asset.  

He won 10 games in the first 2 years. Calling him average right now is about the same as saying incomplete as he should be graded much harsher based on results. If the team goes 10-6 this year then he will climb on these sort of rankings. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, LeotheLion said:

He won 10 games in the first 2 years. Calling him average right now is about the same as saying incomplete as he should be graded much harsher based on results. If the team goes 10-6 this year then he will climb on these sort of rankings. 

if that's the case maybe we should just rank coaches based on wins.  If we arent factoring in the situation why even have the conversation.

3 minutes ago, jdzimme3 said:

if that's the case maybe we should just rank coaches based on wins.  If we arent factoring in the situation why even have the conversation.

I don't even know what you are arguing. Did he overachieve to go 10-22 in his first 2 years? Saying he's an average coach is putting context into the situation. That is an awful record and yet I'm not calling him an awful coach.

2 minutes ago, LeotheLion said:

I don't even know what you are arguing. Did he overachieve to go 10-22 in his first 2 years? Saying he's an average coach is putting context into the situation. That is an awful record and yet I'm not calling him an awful coach.

fair enough.  if just looking at record, and saying he is average, i could see how you are putting in context.  My perspective is based on more that just record and how the team has fared on offense and defense, ranking significantly higher in both than they should have based on talent.  Also, i am a niners homer so there is that.  

1 hour ago, LeotheLion said:

This was my exact line of thinking including him in "average".

• Like 1

I think that BB, Payton, and Pederson are 1-2-3. 

Don't agree with McVay or Reid being higher than Dougie P at this point. Despite a decimated team these last few years, Dougie still has this team contending. Pretty incredible iyam. 

Hot take: Kyle Shannahan will surpass Sean McVay after this season. IMO he's the best offensive mind in football. Not McVay 

56 minutes ago, baconrad11 said:

I think that BB, Payton, and Pederson are 1-2-3. 

Don't agree with McVay or Reid being higher than Dougie P at this point. Despite a decimated team these last few years, Dougie still has this team contending. Pretty incredible iyam. 

Hot take: Kyle Shannahan will surpass Sean McVay after this season. IMO he's the best offensive mind in football. Not McVay 

I'm fine with Pederson being ahead of McVay but if you have that opinion then you also have to have the opinion that Goff is a pretty good QB. Not necessarily better than Wentz but still a good QB in his own right. If you think Goff is an average/below average QB then I think McVay needs to be ahead because nothing else would explain the offensive production.

Shannahan cannot do anything to surpass McVay after this season short of winning the Super Bowl and the Rams going like 5-11. He might be the better offensive mind, but McVay has done a much better job at building and sustaining a winning culture. This is the first year Kyle hasn't been coaching a loser.

21 hours ago, Elky said:

I prefer to rank via tiers

Bill Belichick
Bill Belichick

Elite
Sean McVay
Andy Reid
Doug Pederson
Sean Payton
Pete Carroll

Great
John Harbaugh
Ron Rivera
Matt Nagy
Frank Reich
Bruce Arians
Sean McDermott

Good
Matt Patricia
Doug Marrone
Anthony Lynn
Mike Zimmer
Kyle Shanahan
Mike Tomlin

Average
Jason Garrett
Pat Shurmur
Mike Vrabel

Bad
Dan Quinn
Adam Gase
Jon Gruden
Jay Gruden

Rookie
Zac Taylor
Fred Kitchens
Jon Gruden
Vic Fangio
Matt LeFleur
Brian Flores

Bill O'Brien
Bill O'Brien

Missing a coach and tier...

Man Candy:

Texas-Tech-Red-Raiders-head-coach-Kliff-

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Bearerofnews said:

Why is Lynn being underrated? Since becoming head coach only Pederson, Bill, Mcvay, Reid and Payton have more wins. 

And if you look at Chargers after that wacky 0-4 start in 2017, only Rams, Saints and Pats have more wins. 

To be fair, he's had 1 great season. He does appear to be a great coach (and I'm a Chargers hater), and even I have him above average with other really good coaches despite his small sample size. He just needs more longevity.

• Like 1

On 10/1/2019 at 12:43 PM, Soggust said:

I'd probably have it something like this in general with groupings in no particular order:

GOAT
Bill Belichick

Great
Sean McVay
Andy Reid
Doug Pederson
Mike Tomlin
Sean Payton
Pete Carroll
John Harbaugh

Above Average
Matt Nagy
Frank Reich
Bruce Arians
Anthony Lynn
Dan Quinn (could maybe be Average)

Average
Ron Rivera (could maybe be Above Average)
Doug Marrone
Mike Zimmer
Jason Garrett
Adam Gase
Mike Vrabel
Jon Gruden
Kyle Shanahan
Matt Patricia
Sean McDermott

Below Average
Pat Shurmur
Jay Gruden
Bill O'Brien

Rookie
Zac Taylor
Fred Kitchens
Jon Gruden
Vic Fangio
Matt LeFleur
Brian Flores

If we are talking this year alone, I would probably change it significantly

Sean McDermott is far from average. Broke the Bills playoff drought year 1 with a decent roster. Somehow got to 6 wins last year with Peterman, no OL, no WRs, and no depth on D. Now is 3-1 and lost a 6 point game to BB and the Pats. He's an elite defensive coach and gets the players to play for him. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The BILLievers said:

Sean McDermott is far from average. Broke the Bills playoff drought year 1 with a decent roster. Somehow got to 6 wins last year with Peterman, no OL, no WRs, and no depth on D. Now is 3-1 and lost a 6 point game to BB and the Pats. He's an elite defensive coach and gets the players to play for him. 

He won 5 games with Allen and 1 with Barkeley so saying he won 6 with Peterman is inaccurate.