Trubisky 2019 season development & growth thread

malagabears

5 minutes ago, topwop1 said:

Yup no doubt about it...not looking very good on him at the moment.

Though if Pace is a good GM then he will swallow his pride and admit he was wrong but actively trying to improve that position this off season.

I definitely think he will try..the question is will he get it right next time?  The only hope we have that this will be the case is that Nagy should be heavily involved in that process.  But then again can we trust Nagy either?

I think we are going to see Mariota and a mid round pick.

They will not hit the full eject button after 3 years on Trubisky that would be a knee capping for Pace.They will sign Mariota and hope that Mitch beats him out and they can save a little face.

14 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

I think we are going to see Mariota and a mid round pick.

They will not hit the full eject button after 3 years on Trubisky that would be a knee capping for Pace.They will sign Mariota and hope that Mitch beats him out and they can save a little face.

The "Mitch is a bust" drums are starting to beat a little louder.

5 minutes ago, malagabears said:

The "Mitch is a bust" drums are starting to beat a little louder.

I think we know he is a bust. His massive regression pretty much locks that in.

I still do not think that Pace will fully move on from him in the offseason. I think he will get "competition" but it would be a huge blow for Pace if he does not even start his entire rookie deal.

Pace should move on, but he won't.

19 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

I think we know he is a bust. His massive regression pretty much locks that in.

I still do not think that Pace will fully move on from him in the offseason. I think he will get "competition" but it would be a huge blow for Pace if he does not even start his entire rookie deal.

Pace should move on, but he won't.

Well it will be hard to completely move on from him after this year regardless considering his salary is fully guaranteed for next season.  At worst I think he is a backup for this team next year unless he is able to swing a trade with some other team, but that seems like a long shot.

That doesn't mean that Pace won't bring in a better starting option for 2020.

For as much as we rag on Pace for his QB evaluations I think we can all agree (using a Nagy reference here) that the guy is not an idiot.  I'm sure he is well aware of what is at stake and I don't think he will go down to the grave with Mitch and his job security if it becomes absolutely evident that he is not the guy to lead this team at QB any further.

Nagy probably gets a pass for this season if Bears fail to turn things around and make the PO's just because of what he was able to do in his first year as HC, but 2020 will be a big year for both he and Pace in terms of future job security so I don't think they will be ignorant about the QB position needing much improvement.

Edited by topwop1

3 minutes ago, topwop1 said:

Well it will be hard to completely move on from him after this year regardless considering his salary is fully guaranteed for next season.  At worst I think he is a backup for this team next year unless he is able to swing a trade with some other team, but that seems like a long shot.

That doesn't mean that Pace won't bring in a better starting option for 2020.

For as much as we rag on Pace for his QB evaluations I think we can all agree (using a Nagy reference here) that the guy is not an idiot.  I'm sure he is well aware of what is at stake and I don't think he will go down to the grave with Mitch and his job security if it becomes absolutely evident that he is not the guy to lead this team at QB any further.

Nagy probably gets a pass for this season if Bears fail to turn things around and make the PO's just because of what he was able to do in his first year as HC, but 2020 will be a big year for both he and Pace in terms of future job security so I don't think they will be ignorant about the QB position needing much improvement.

I am not sure they bring in a sure fire starter. Mitch will be on the team, but Foles/Bridgewater are not being signed/paid to compete with Mitch they are replacing him.

Are we sure Pace is not an idiot? Really sure?

Watching Mitch suck, Shaheen suck, Miller do nothing, Roquan struggle, Burton cash checks and disappear, his highly paid OL struggle, it is becoming harder and harder to stand up for Pace.

2 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

I am not sure they bring in a sure fire starter. Mitch will be on the team, but Foles/Bridgewater are not being signed/paid to compete with Mitch they are replacing him.

Are we sure Pace is not an idiot? Really sure?

Watching Mitch suck, Shaheen suck, Miller do nothing, Roquan struggle, Burton cash checks and disappear, his highly paid OL struggle, it is becoming harder and harder to stand up for Pace.

In terms of being self aware and knowing that he needs to improve on something, yes I am sure he is not an idiot when it comes to that because he has shown in his history as Bears GM that he is able to identify weaknesses on the team and go out and try to fix them.

Whether or not he's great at evaluating talent is another question and we cannot be sure on that.  He surely has a few big misses so far but he also has some nice hits.

1 hour ago, WindyCity said:

Now do

Gabbert

Ponder

Weeden

Maneul

Paxton Lynch

Jake Locker

Gabbert: 53.3%, 22 TD/24 INT 5.6 YPA 66.4 rating

Ponder: 59.2%, 31 TD/25 INT 6.2 YPA 77.1 rating

Weeden: 55.9%, 23 TD/26 INT 6.5 YPA, 71.8 rating

Manuel: 58.6%, 16 TD/12 INT 6.4 YPA, 78.5 rating

Lynch: 61.7%, 4 TD/4 INT 6.2 YPA, 76.7 rating

Locker: 55.5%, 14 TD/11 INT 7.2 YPA, 78.4 rating

Trubisky: 66%, 29 TD/14 INT 6.8 YPA, 92 rating

Hope that helps :)

3 minutes ago, G08 said:

It does. Mitch is not going to go on the total bust list.

I am also excited about his ascent to HOFer like Drew Brees.

2 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

I am also excited about his ascent to HOFer like Drew Brees

I get the sarcasm but this doesn't have to be mutually exclusive.

This offense takes time: it is not the same **** he was running in college (minus a handful of RPOs). There is precedent in the NFL that this scheme takes time; Patrick Mahomes is the outlier/the exception, not the rule.

Fans can bail on him, nobody will care, but I just don't know how to do that as a die-hard fan of this team. You support your QB -- always -- until you see that every rock has been turned over, every option tried and failed, and then you move on. But to boo the kid or find enjoyment in 'being right' that the kid was a bust is, to me, disgusting.

• Like 1

Just now, G08 said:

I heard Dan Orlovsky say yesterday that Mitch has one of the lowest yards per attempt percentages in the history of the NFL this year at 5.2.  That is awful.

I think the lowest ever career average for a QB is 5.8 YPA from Joey Harrington.  Not good company to be in.

Heck Mariota's lowest career YPA to this point is 7.1 YPA.  That'd be an upgrade at this point.

2 minutes ago, topwop1 said:

I heard Dan Orlovsky say yesterday that Mitch has one of the lowest yards per attempt percentages in the history of the NFL this year at 5.2.  That is awful.

I think the lowest ever career average for a QB is 5.8 YPA from Joey Harrington.  Not good company to be in.

Heck Mariota's lowest career YPA to this point is 7.1 YPA.  That'd be an upgrade at this point.

These are valid but anyone can see this offense is broken and doing him no favors. Get the run game going, hit a couple of deep shots and that average will spike. Only been 4 full games for the kid thus far this season. Let it breathe.

3 minutes ago, G08 said:

Alex Smith is a genius, right? He was in the league for 8 years before he got into this scheme. After all that experience, year FIVE is when he hit his stride in this offense.

Think about that.

I believe it's true that this offense can take time to master but unfortunately this team doesn't have 5 years to wait for Mitch to do that.  If he showed more signs of progress and the offense was at least serviceable then I could see there being more patience given but patience is wearing thin now and you have to make a decision on this guy soon for his 5th year option.  Are you telling me that if you're Ryan Pace and you see this type of poor offensive/QB play keep up for the rest of this season then you'd be confident with exercising the 5th year option on Mitch's contract this coming off season?  The answer for me is heck no.

8 minutes ago, G08 said:

I get the sarcasm but this doesn't have to be mutually exclusive.

This offense takes time: it is not the same **** he was running in college (minus a handful of RPOs). There is precedent in the NFL that this scheme takes time; Patrick Mahomes is the outlier/the exception, not the rule.

Fans can bail on him, nobody will care, but I just don't know how to do that as a die-hard fan of this team. You support your QB -- always -- until you see that every rock has been turned over, every option tried and failed, and then you move on. But to boo the kid or find enjoyment in 'being right' that the kid was a bust is, to me, disgusting.

If you are a die hard fan of the team you should not support someone who is holding the team back from maximizing their potential.

You support the team, not an individual player, especially one who is not good.

I take no pleasure in Mitch being bad. This was an all in move for Pace, the QB, the offensive coach, and the defense that was going to lead to sustained success. He missed on the QB and now the entire thing is compromised. This is just bad for the Bears and the fans. But not wanting it to be true does not mean that it is not true.

Our reality is that we missed on the QB. The only thing that remains is to decide how much of this defensive window we waste before we admit it?