Trubisky 2019 season development & growth thread

malagabears

8 minutes ago, G08 said:

These are valid but anyone can see this offense is broken and doing him no favors. Get the run game going, hit a couple of deep shots and that average will spike. Only been 4 full games for the kid thus far this season. Let it breathe.

1. Can't do it. Teams are literally daring them to pass and playing to stop the run.

2. He misses them. He doesn't see them like the middle shot to Burton or the slot shot to Miller.

11 minutes ago, G08 said:

Alex Smith is a genius, right? He was in the league for 8 years before he got into this scheme. After all that experience, year FIVE is when he hit his stride in this offense.

Think about that.

Khalil Mack and Akiem Hicks will be retired by then.

In the NFL you do not get 3-4 years to find yourself. You for sure do not get multiple years to regress.

6 minutes ago, topwop1 said:

I believe it's true that this offense can take time to master but unfortunately this team doesn't have 5 years to wait for Mitch to do that.  If he showed more signs of progress and the offense was at least serviceable then I could see there being more patience given but patience is wearing thin now and you have to make a decision on this guy soon for his 5th year option.  Are you telling me that if you're Ryan Pace and you see this type of poor offensive/QB play keep up for the rest of this season then you'd be confident with exercising the 5th year option on Mitch's contract this coming off season?  The answer for me is heck no.

Lack of progress is a huge issue.

If this was a slow build towards better play the Bears could ride it out.

But we have not seen progress, we have seen regression. The regression is the issue because how can you possibly assume that he is going to even get back to where he was last season let alone show some signs of improvement?

1 minute ago, WindyCity said:

Khalil Mack and Akiem Hicks will be retired by then.

In the NFL you do not get 3-4 years to find yourself. You for sure do not get multiple years to regress.

These are two beasts in their prime.  It'd be such a disgrace and disservice to everyone involved for them to waste this opportunity hoping that Mitch will suddenly become good.

I haven't closed the book on Mitch entirely just yet but it's getting to the last chapter now.  The next 2 months is his time to change the narrative on him.

1 minute ago, topwop1 said:

These are two beasts in their prime.  It'd be such a disgrace and disservice to everyone involved for them to waste this opportunity hoping that Mitch will suddenly become good.

I haven't closed the book on Mitch entirely just yet but it's getting to the last chapter now.  The next 2 months is his time to change the narrative on him.

He has 10 games to improve past where he was last season. I am not picking up the option or extending him based on what he did in 2018, it was contingent on him improving from last season.

He has dug himself a massive hole.

5 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

Honest question, how much time are people willing to waste on Mitch?

Knowing that the defense is aging and the cap situation is worsening.

We should have stopped giving him a chance last year. His overthrows have not improved, that is enough to end the experiment. 

3 minutes ago, Nads786 said:

We should have stopped giving him a chance last year. His overthrows have not improved, that is enough to end the experiment. 

The fact that we are here 3 years into the league and in the 2nd year in the offense is beyond worrying.

I knew Mitch was going to take more work than the other QBs drafted, but he has shown so little progress, and struggles to be even a league average QB.

Mitch isn’t Alex Smith. Alex was taken from a spread offense and paired with a cancerous organization that hired ultra-conservative defensive coaches. He had a new OC almost every season. He was forced to compete for his job.

Mitch has been surrounded by offensive minded coaches, consultants, and mentors. He’s had no competition for the starting job. He’s been put in an offense that shares concepts with the college spread he came from. He’s in a good QB situation. He just isn’t very good.

Smith had the Chiefs clicking in his first year in the offense. He never struggled like we’re seeing from Mitch.

28 minutes ago, abstract_thought said:

Mitch isn’t Alex Smith. Alex was taken from a spread offense and paired with a cancerous organization that hired ultra-conservative defensive coaches. He had a new OC almost every season. He was forced to compete for his job.

Mitch has been surrounded by offensive minded coaches, consultants, and mentors. He’s had no competition for the starting job. He’s been put in an offense that shares concepts with the college spread he came from. He’s in a good QB situation. He just isn’t very good.

Smith had the Chiefs clicking in his first year in the offense. He never struggled like we’re seeing from Mitch.

Well said.

I've given @WindyCity **** for being way too premature early in the season on the Trubisky hate and while it was sort of stupid, in hindsight he was right. Guys, he's a lost cause. The Bortles comparisons aren't even fair because Bortles was 1) never as bad as this and 2) never been surrounded by a group of coaches dedicated to HIS development.

The game is moving too fast for him. His feet are a disaster. It's bad.

Even if Trubisky goes out and has a 20-27, 250 yards and 2 TD performance vs LAC, will we think any differently? He has to do that for the next 4-6 weeks consecutively for any of us to believe in the slightest.

55 minutes ago, abstract_thought said:

Is he really though?  In theory he may be is but I think the jury is still very much out on Nagy and his offensive staff. The run game and overall offense has looked just as bad  with Chase in there who is Nagy's handpicked backup QB that is supposed to be an expert in the "system".

Mitch no doubt deserves a lot of blame but so does Nagy.

3 minutes ago, topwop1 said:

Is he really though?  In theory he may be is but I think the jury is still very much out on Nagy and his offensive staff. The run game and overall offense has looked just as bad  with Chase in there who is Nagy's handpicked backup QB that is supposed to be an expert in the "system".

It might not be perfect, but it is a good situation for a young QB.

An entire coaching staff was put together for him. He has weapons at WR. The OL has been bad but for most of his stay has been above average.

Agreed on Nagy, his play calling hasn't been good. But it is hard to call plays when your QB is so limited.

Edited by WindyCity

2 minutes ago, topwop1 said:

A lot of people- bloggers, beat writers, former pros, etc- have watched the film and Trubisky missed a ton of open guys vs New Orleans. Perhaps Nagy is nothing to write home about but it's not like he's not getting guys open.

Edited by beardown3231

2 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

I've given @WindyCity **** for being way too premature early in the season on the Trubisky hate and while it was sort of stupid, in hindsight he was right. Guys, he's a lost cause. The Bortles comparisons aren't even fair because Bortles was 1) never as bad as this and 2) never been surrounded by a group of coaches dedicated to HIS development.

The game is moving too fast for him. His feet are a disaster. It's bad.

Even if Trubisky goes out and has a 20-27, 250 yards and 2 TD performance vs LAC, will we think any differently? He has to do that for the next 4-6 weeks consecutively for any of us to believe in the slightest.

It sucks. It is devastating to the big picture of the team. But the worst thing we can do is not admit what our eyes and the numbers are telling us.

He gets worse and worse as he plays. He is a total mess right not mentally and mechanically. I am not sure how he rights the ship or if it is possible.

Time to plan the next step at QB.