Week 5 GDT - Cleveland Browns at San Francisco 49ers

J-ALL-DAY

2 minutes ago, N4L said:

I said a few pages ago he hasn't been worth a mega-deal so far this year and that maybe we should hold off on paying him, and @J-ALL-DAY basically told me I was insane. 

Still waiting on him to get going. He always starts slow and gets better as the year goes on. No idea why, but that's how he has been his whole career here. 

Yes, you are still insane lol.

Buckner has been good still and is one of the best defenders in the game period. What are we waiting for here? Are we never going to pay him? Is that what you're saying? Because if not, the longer we wait, the higher the price tag will be. He's still going to end up making the Pro Bowl team and possibly the All Pro team....Then guess what will happen next year? Will do the exact same thing. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Every freaking week we come away with a big injury. First it was Staley then Spoon and now Juice Check. Eventually these will come back to hurt us. 

Eventually, these players will come back and our team will be better for it considering their backups will have gotten quality reps and gained valuable experience. 

Now if any of these guys were out for the year? Yeah, that would suck 

• Like 4

Every freaking week we come away with a big injury. First it was Staley then Spoon and now Juice Check. Eventually these will come back to hurt us. 

Man, it did not appear or sound that severe. Usually grade 3 is associated with ACL injuries. 

If he's on the shorter side (still my hope), he's going to miss the Rams, Redskins, Panthers, and Cardinals. We assumed out for the Rams regardless. So, that's mostly acceptable.

5 minutes ago, y2lamanaki said:

Man, it did not appear or sound that severe. Usually grade 3 is associated with ACL injuries. 

If he's on the shorter side (still my hope), he's going to miss the Rams, Redskins, Panthers, and Cardinals. We assumed out for the Rams regardless. So, that's mostly acceptable.

I mean sure, but losing him against the Rams/Panthers really sucks. But he was one of the few we really couldn't afford to lose since there is no replacement for him. We said that about Staley, but Skule has surprisingly held up well. I'm just not how Shanny is able to replace Juice Check though. 

11 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

I'm sick of this happening. If it were just this year, fine...but this has been going on for nearly half a decade now....

I mean sure, but losing him against the Rams/Panthers really sucks. But he was one of the few we really couldn't afford to lose since there is no replacement for him. We said that about Staley, but Skule has surprisingly held up well. I'm just not how Shanny is able to replace Juice Check though. 

12 personnel is going to be it. Probably a lot more Toilolo. And Celek could be activated from the PUP as early as next week. No idea how close he is to healthy, but that would be a small improvement. 

It's better than the end of the year, that's for sure. 

Just now, y2lamanaki said:

12 personnel is going to be it. Probably a lot more Toilolo. And Celek could be activated from the PUP as early as next week. No idea how close he is to healthy, but that would be a small improvement. 

It's better than the end of the year, that's for sure. 

Yep, but I see more Coleman than Breida going forward due to him being a better receiving threat. I mean their snaps/carries will be close to 50/50 but still.

Anyone think Shanny comes out next game and goes pass heavy and then establishes the run? 

Yep, but I see more Coleman than Breida going forward due to him being a better receiving threat. I mean their snaps/carries will be close to 50/50 but still.

Anyone think Shanny comes out next game and goes pass heavy and then establishes the run? 

I don't. I think that we don't want to get any further away from the offense we want to run when perfectly healthy. Not to mention, I'm not sure the passing offense can do that, may already be suffering from some issues of it's own, and has struggled to keep to any sort of consistency. And we know that in the past, including last year, our line had considerable issues blocking Donald (except, somewhat ironically, Joshua Garnett). 

7 minutes ago, N4L said:

Eventually, these players will come back and our team will be better for it considering their backups will have gotten quality reps and gained valuable experience. 

Now if any of these guys were out for the year? Yeah, that would suck 

Exactly. All those injuries could have been season ending. So we're still good. We'll be better for it come the end of the yr when we're making a push for the playoffs.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Forge said:

I don't. I think that we don't want to get any further away from the offense we want to run when perfectly healthy. Not to mention, I'm not sure the passing offense can do that, may already be suffering from some issues of it's own, and has struggled to keep to any sort of consistency. And we know that in the past, including last year, our line had considerable issues blocking Donald (except, somewhat ironically, Joshua Garnett). 

It also depends on how Phillips has his defense playing and if he is trying to stack the box to stop the run game. I wouldn't be surprised if our first drive is mainly Jimmy G dropping back with some quick hitters instead of trying to establish the run. 

37 minutes ago, sherm said:

Exactly. All those injuries could have been season ending. So we're still good. We'll be better for it come the end of the yr when we're making a push for the playoffs.

Yup. Injuries are a part of the game. Sucks but every team goes through this. We just played a Browns team that pretty much has their entire secondary out with injury. Next man up...

It sucks for Juice and the offense in general but I think it will just allow Shanny to employ more offensive wrinkles to throw off defenses. He's a smart guy and I'm sure he has schematically prepared for life w/o Juice. Im sure he knew the dangers of carrying only one FB and him being so much of a factor in how he creates mismatches for the offense. Pretty sure will see Kittle more in the backfield and used in a variety of packages to offset the blocking aspect of losing Juice. Also could see Dwelley with more snaps and opportunites in the pass-game, as Kittle shifts to more of a H-Back role...