Week 5 GDT - Cleveland Browns at San Francisco 49ers

J-ALL-DAY

5 minutes ago, Forge said:

I think there is a reasonable chance that the Niners d-line can have a similar performance against the Rams that they did against the Browns. If that happens, more shaky QB play should be in play for Goff. Stopping Gurly and making the Rams a one-dimensional offense should force turnovers.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Forge said:

Bosa vs Whitworth should be fun and an even match up.

4 minutes ago, NinerNation21 said:

I think there is a reasonable chance that the Niners d-line can have a similar performance against the Rams that they did against the Browns. If that happens, more shaky QB play should be in play for Goff. Stopping Gurly and making the Rams a one-dimensional offense should force turnovers.

Um, not sure to be honest. And the Rams will spread us out a lot more. Moseley held up very well last week, but think this will be a bigger test, especially with how the Rams run uptempo. Stopping Gurley is a must though. HAVE to make the Rams one dimensional or else it will be a LONG day. 

2 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Bosa vs Whitworth should be fun and an even match up.

Um, not sure to be honest. And the Rams will spread us out a lot more. Moseley held up very well last week, but think this will be a bigger test, especially with how the Rams run uptempo. Stopping Gurley is a must though. HAVE to make the Rams one dimensional or else it will be a LONG day. 

I expect Mosely to be targeted A LOT more this weekend. I think the Niners should be able to make Goff uncomfortable and make mistakes. If not, it will be a ton of short, quick throws. They definitely CANNOT let Kupp rack up the YAC. 

4 minutes ago, Chrissooner49er said:

Am I the only one who raises eyebrows at Buckner's rating?! Only a 73.1.... It just seems others are much more active/productive and is supported by their ratings being 80+.

Yeah, he's been okay. Not good, obviously not bad. He's had some long stretches of nothingness

26 minutes ago, John232 said:

McCvay isn't Kitchens. This game will be much, much harder. 

Exactly, MUCH harder and competitive game. And not only that, but we are on a short week with the Rams have a few extra days to prepare for the game by playing on Thursday. They have the advantage going in IMO. In fact, I may be picking them to win.................

3 minutes ago, Chrissooner49er said:

Am I the only one who raises eyebrows at Buckner's rating?! Only a 73.1.... It just seems others are much more active/productive and is supported by their ratings being 80+.

It's PFF, take it with a healthy grain of salt. That said, if I were to guess, his grade is low because he's been pretty meh against the run this year. That huge Chubb run last night was Buck getting smoked on a trap run (again). I think some of this is the alignment and responsibilities just allowing for a good matchup with trap runs, but you'd like to see him be a little quicker in responding to those runs. But that's extremely hard to do and it's meant to be deceiving. 

Not super relevant story time: In HS, I played SAM/DE, I was pretty good but good lord did I love to jump the snap and basically over pursue, Solly-esque. We were playing a wing T offense and there line was massive but they ran a  lot of lateral movement. Pitch/Toss outside zone kind of stuff. So I got moved to basically a 0 Tech because I could shoot the gaps but I was worried I just get overpowered if there was head on contact. Well, they started working traps  into the game and I got so manhandled, I just went to the coach and told him to move me back to DE. At that point, I was so slow in reacting I actually became useful. I got double teamed on a trap run by the TE and T and got flung into the middle of the line, head first, and absolutely destroyed the RB on another trap and he broke his leg in the process. They couldn't run it anymore and we won the game. Weird game for me. Coach wasn't even mad at me, kind of a"oops, but we won" moment. 

16 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Exactly, MUCH harder and competitive game. And not only that, but we are on a short week with the Rams have a few extra days to prepare for the game by playing on Thursday. They have the advantage going in IMO. In fact, I may be picking them to win.................

I am. I think I'll pick us the second game, but a lot I don't love about this one. Short week vs long week as you mentioned, on road (Goff much better at home historically). Injuries still a factor, and I'm not sure we have juice either now. Plus, I'm still having mental roadblocks

8 minutes ago, Forge said:

I am. I think I'll pick us the second game, but a lot I don't love about this one. Short week vs long week as you mentioned, on road (Goff much better at home historically). Injuries still a factor, and I'm not sure we have juice either now. Plus, I'm still having mental roadblocks

Yeah, think the Rams are the safe bet in this game. 

-Desperate after two consecutive losses

-Having 9 days off from the last game opposed to 5 for us

-Playing at home where they have been DAMN good for three years

-Then what is working against us is Juice Check being out and impacting our run game/offense

So yeah, thinking Rams in a tight one, something like 23-20 or in that range. 

1 hour ago, Chrissooner49er said:

I said a few pages ago he hasn't been worth a mega-deal so far this year and that maybe we should hold off on paying him, and @J-ALL-DAY basically told me I was insane. 

Still waiting on him to get going. He always starts slow and gets better as the year goes on. No idea why, but that's how he has been his whole career here.