Week 5 GDT: Vikings vs. Giants @ 1:05pm EST

Giants4eva

Seriously cannot believe we are already 5 weeks into this 2019 NFL season. Feels like yesterday we almost had a mutiny towards Dave Gettleman.. LOL. Anyhow, play time is over here. Vikings are so desperate for a win its sickening. Kirk Cousins was called out last week by Adam Theilen for his debacle in Chicago. To be fair, the Bears defence has put on a whoopin on everybody. Kirk and crew were just their lastest victims. But that being said we have really got our hands full. They have legit downfield threats in Theilen and Diggs. And Dalvin Cook on top of his game is a top 5 RB in this league. Their defence also knocked Trubisky out of the game last week and sent him home with a separated shoulder. We get back Golden Tate this week and i expect him to produce some serious numbers because him and DJ were hooking up well in preseason. Our defence however i have a feeling is going to get exposed vs. their skill positions. I just think we come up short against a very desperate Vikes squad. This game will not be lost by our offence but rather by our defence being too banged up right now.   Vikings 34 - Giants 29

Edited by Giants4eva

No way the Vikes score 30+ points and give up 29. I expect a 24–16 type game. Cousins needs to show he can actually win on the road, which has been a struggle, especially against .500 or better teams. Could go either way in my opinion but on paper, the Vikes look like a superior team.

I'm a big fan of "Danny Dimes", but obviously I'll have to be cheering against him this week.  I'm hoping our defense can keep him in check, especially without Saquon on the field.  If you DD has a better game than Kirk Cousins and ends up pulling out another surprise win, I can't even imagine what the fallout will be with the Vikings fanbase toward Cousins.  If this game was being played at US Bank Stadium in Minneapolis, I wouldn't be worried, but the Vikings are a different team on the road.  It's definitely not outside the realm of possibility that the Giants win this one.  

Finally, although I always like anything that makes Kate Mara smile, I will unfortunately have to be hoping that doesn't happen this week.  Either way, I can't help but posting a gratuitous picture of your team's future owner just to get the thread started off right.

Best of luck this week, and let's hope there are no serious injuries on either side!

article-2601613-1CF93C6400000578-634_634

• Like 3

Wow, it's pretty quiet in here considering this is the NY Giants forum.  I just finished watching your game against the Redskins and, geez, Daniel Jones is really going to be a good one.  This team is more than capable of beating my Vikings - especially if Kirk Cousins doesn't get out of his slump.  Looking forward to a good game!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Uncle Buck said:

Wow, it's pretty quiet in here considering this is the NY Giants forum.  I just finished watching your game against the Redskins and, geez, Daniel Jones is really going to be a good one.  This team is more than capable of beating my Vikings - especially if Kirk Cousins doesn't get out of his slump.  Looking forward to a good game!

This forum has been dead for the last few years since we've been getting top 10 draft picks. It's a bit baffling to me, too. Especially when I go into team forums like the Redskins who have been bad for a longer period of time and in a smaller market - yet they have a lot of activity. 

As for the game, I agree we have a shot, especially if Cousins does more of the same from last week. But our defense is pretty bad and now really banged up to make matters worse. Kirk should have everything he needs to get back on track. But we'll see if Danny Dimes can elevate the team like he did against the Bucs. 

On paper the Vikings are a better team. Lots of weapons on offense. Stout defense. They’ve been underachieving and they’re going to get out of that slump eventually. Wouldn’t be surprised if it happened this week. The coaches obviously know each other and each other’s tendencies, so that adds a twist to this matchup.Would feel more optimistic about this game is Saquon was playing. Maybe the return of Tate will help.

I still think we end up 5-5 at the bye week by beating the Cardinals, Lions and Jets. 

Edited by Gmen
  • Like 1

I had this chalked up as a guaranteed loss, and I'm still staying with that. The Vikings roster is simply a lot more talented than the Giants and I don't think we overcome that. As others have said, this is either a game where the Vikings torch us and remind everyone they are a very good team, or one where Cousins and co lay an egg and we get some hot takes about how the Vikings are garbage. Our injuries at ILB are going to be our downfall IMO. Our DL is stout, but if Cook hits that second level, David Mayo and a still half concussed Tae Davis aren't stopping him.

If Diggs doesn't play or is traded like rumors have it... do we maybe have a shot then?

With no SB and the LB corps being so thin probably don't have the horses in place. But a good effort and a close game could go a long way for momentum. Get this and the Pats game over with then quite a few winnable games on the schedule.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Shockey1979 said:

If Diggs doesn't play or is traded like rumors have it... do we maybe have a shot then?

With no SB and the LB corps being so thin probably don't have the horses in place. But a good effort and a close game could go a long way for momentum. Get this and the Pats game over with then quite a few winnable games on the schedule.

Diggs availability probably doesn’t change much unless the Giants can get out to a quick multi score lead. The Vikes are perfectly content playing defense and grinding out a win running the ball. Rookies Irv Smith and Bisi Johnson will just get more looks if Diggs doesn’t play for whatever reason.

1 hour ago, SteelKing728 said:

@bzane do you think the Giants will be able to stop an irate Stefon Diggs this week?!?

"Just throw me the ball and I'll make the plays!"

Is Diggs playing? That whole situation is weird.

Eli always struggled a ton against the Vikings. He is 2-6 against them with 5 touchdowns vs 15 interceptions, including two 3 interception games and one 5 interception game. I wonder if DJ continues Eli's legacy or can redeem the franchise.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, minutemancl said:

Is Diggs playing? That whole situation is weird.

Eli always struggled a ton against the Vikings. He is 2-6 against them with 5 touchdowns vs 15 interceptions, including two 3 interception games and one 5 interception game. I wonder if DJ continues Eli's legacy or can redeem the franchise.

Barring a huge surprise trade, it looks like almost a 100% certainty that Diggs will be playing as usual. 

It was strange how we seemed to have Eli's number.  I don't know why that would happen over such a lowing period of time with a team that isn't in your division.  It would be nice if we could keep that going with Daniel Jones, but he looks like a somewhat different type of QB with his mobility, so it should be a different deal.  Any chance you would be willing to trade him for Cousins and any other player on our roster?  :)

• Like 1