Pack at Dallas Post Game: Four and One

mikebpackfan

1 hour ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Who said I'm not happy?

I do not understand the people that are arguing with me that Rodgers was a game manager, and then in their post describe the exact characteristics of a game manager.

Some serious questions for you...because you talk a lot about Rodgers being elite, and rail against him when he isn't elite.

Can a QB be both a game manager, while being elite, say when the moment requires it?

Can this Rodgers win a Super Bowl with this defense?

My answers...

1)  Yes, and Rodgers has shown both, even yesterday.  Buying time and hitting Tonyan, for example, was an elite play.

2) Yes.  And I'd argue that if he plays like this...picking and choosing his spots, as opposed to every third and 8, his career will last longer, he will be healthier and in a better position to win post season games.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TheOnlyThing said:

Have we moved on yet from the Aaron Rodgers is not any good anymore as a pre-snap QB narrative to the next line of criticism of his play?

Does MLF still suck as a play caller?

Just trying to keep track of the latest criticisms of the 2019 Packers performance from the McCarthy should never have been fired crowd.

I was pretty happy to not see any creatively stupid blocking schemes.

Since there was a lot of talk about Philly's wham blocks last week, everyone should go watch Aaron Jones's bye-bye TD run again and enjoy Mercedes Lewis putting DLaw into the dirt on a cross-formation wham block.  Didn't really matter given how the play went, but fun to watch.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Uffdaswede said:

For me, one concern remaining from the game is how Jaire managed to play so badly against Cooper. Did JA study film that Cooper countered with new moves? Is Cooper that good? Is JA nicked up and can't cut quickly?

It's been a popular narrative on here that the Cowboys were fleeced in that trade.  And that Cooper isn't very good.  He shows up big every 4-5 weeks with a game like that, then goes in the tank.

I'm not sure that is 100% accurate.

I feel like Cooper is that good.  He's powerful, fast enough to run by you, nimble.  Hands hold him back, as we saw.

But yah, he fed Jaire his lunch.  To be fair to Jaire...he never backed down, continued to compete and was rewarded with that pick.  

1 hour ago, KFP7 said:

Can somebody walk me through what Kenny Clark does that has him as an elite player?  I'm certainly not saying he isn't, but I don't notice him all that much (I get a lot of that is his position, and a lot of that is that I'm not really paying attention to the interior of the line).  What is he doing on a play-to-play defense to get the recognition that he is lately?  

So far this year I think he's feasted on some weak centers.  Daniels and Bradbury.

I thought Kelce (Philly) got the better of him.

I thought he and Frederick were fun to watch yesterday.  I'd call that a stalemate.  Each won some battles, each lost some battles.

Just now, vegas492 said:

So far this year I think he's feasted on some weak centers.  Daniels and Bradbury.

I thought Kelce (Philly) got the better of him.

I thought he and Frederick were fun to watch yesterday.  I'd call that a stalemate.  Each won some battles, each lost some battles.

I thought this too on the TV copy, but on the All-22 it was a lot more even.  Kelce could not block him in the pass game at all, he routinely put him on skates.  Kelce's so athletic and smart that he was able to use good positioning and leverage to keep Clark from pursuing plays like he's usually so good at, but it was definitely a back and forth battle and one on one it was no match.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Uffdaswede said:

I knew there was another more devious misdirection, but I don't think I recognized what was going on. Pulling a lineman and running into the vacated area is "Annexation of Puerto Rico" level crazy.

LOL!  I saw the screen happening, and I thought...CRAP!!! It's gonna get killed!  Then Jones cuts off of LG for a score.

The offense is coming around.  Honestly, reminds me a little of the Bears offense from last year, without the speed threat of Gabriel.  I honestly don't know how any team is worried about GMO on a jet sweep!

9 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

I was pretty happy to not see any creatively stupid blocking schemes.

6 minutes ago, HighCalebR said:

Marcedes and Kumerow on Lawrence isnt? Just because it worked..

Was it a pass play when the Lawrence was an unblocked end coming from a blind side?

Or...a simple wham/trap block?

13 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

Some serious questions for you...because you talk a lot about Rodgers being elite, and rail against him when he isn't elite.

Can a QB be both a game manager, while being elite, say when the moment requires it?

Can this Rodgers win a Super Bowl with this defense?

My answers...

1)  Yes, and Rodgers has shown both, even yesterday.  Buying time and hitting Tonyan, for example, was an elite play.

2) Yes.  And I'd argue that if he plays like this...picking and choosing his spots, as opposed to every third and 8, his career will last longer, he will be healthier and in a better position to win post season games.

There's absolutely a means to a QB being both elite and a game manager. It's difficult to do so because generally teams prefer to work the big plays with better QBs, but sure it's very possible.

6 minutes ago, MrBobGray said:

Since there was a lot of talk about Philly's wham blocks last week, everyone should go watch Aaron Jones's bye-bye TD run again and enjoy Mercedes Lewis putting DLaw into the dirt on a cross-formation wham block.  Didn't really matter given how the play went, but fun to watch.

Idk if I'd technically call it a wham as he hit the backside rusher face on... a guy you wouldnt normally bother blocking on the play except for Lawrences athleticism. whereas a wham would be more of a side block playside so the crucial defender doesnt see the undersize blocker coming.

It was a B gap run away from Lawrence wasnt it? 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

There's absolutely a means to a QB being both elite and a game manager. It's difficult to do so because generally teams prefer to work the big plays with better QBs, but sure it's very possible.

Your issue with Rodgers is what then?  Because he whiffed on a couple large plays yesterday?

Maybe I'd focus more on them if GB had lost.  But they didn't, so instead of those two big plays, I remember a few scramble plays, like the Tonyan play.

I like this version of Rodgers a lot.

I'm not sold, though, that Rodgers really likes it.

I think he loves winning.  I think he likes that his body isn't getting all beat up.

But inside, I think he still wants to be the man.  Because of that, I feel like those big plays are coming, when they are needed.