Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
SemperFeist

2019 Defense Thread

Recommended Posts

9 minutes ago, JDBrocks said:

While the secondary has looked bad frequently, I think that the defense as a whole is being judged pretty harshly. 6th in points allowed, 4th in turnover differential, 9th in sacks, 8th in DVOA.

I think the struggles in the secondary are masking a pretty good defensive unit. Hunter and Kendricks have definitely been the standouts.

The concern is every big game against a legit QB, we’re exposed. Those prime time games could weigh heavy. the defense gave up 400 yards to Prescott and 37 points to Seattle. I get the argument that Donald isn’t playoff bound, but it’s not his fault Goff and the offense haven’t been good either. There are too many team dynamics that should go out the window for these awards. I’d hold the MVP award to a higher standard for team success to be honest.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Week   Points   Opponent
Week 14   7   DET
Week 8   9   WAS
Week 5   10   at NYG
Week 15   10   at LA
Week 1   12   ATL
Week 3   14   OAK
Week 4    16   at CHI
Week 6   20   PHI
Week 2   21   at GB
Week 11   23   DEN
Week 10   24   at DAL
Week 9   26   at KC
Week 7   30   at DET
Week 13   37   at SEA

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, vikesfan89 said:

Giving up points in the teens for half of the games seems solid

Helps with the QBs faced in those games. Only good ones were Carr and Ryan. The rest probably shouldn’t be starting, outside of Rivers who’s clearly on the decline. I don’t expect the defense to be elite, they've peaked, but 5 of the worst 6 performances by the defense were on the road, which shows how crucial home field advantage is for the defense. Unfortunately, we likely aren’t getting a home playoff game, therefore, I’d expect to see the defense to give up 25+ points, which isn’t particularly ideal if we’re trying to win by running the ball and ball control.

just let Cousins air it out and play up tempo.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

Helps with the QBs faced in those games. Only good ones were Carr and Ryan. The rest probably shouldn’t be starting, outside of Rivers who’s clearly on the decline. I don’t expect the defense to be elite, they've peaked, but 5 of the worst 6 performances by the defense were on the road, which shows how crucial home field advantage is for the defense. Unfortunately, we likely aren’t getting a home playoff game, therefore, I’d expect to see the defense to give up 25+ points, which isn’t particularly ideal if we’re trying to win by running the ball and ball control.

just let Cousins air it out and play up tempo.

These are fair points.

With that being said we've been in every game we've lost with the exception of Chicago.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, JDBrocks said:

While the secondary has looked bad frequently, I think that the defense as a whole is being judged pretty harshly. 6th in points allowed, 4th in turnover differential, 9th in sacks, 8th in DVOA.

I think the struggles in the secondary are masking a pretty good defensive unit. Hunter and Kendricks have definitely been the standouts.

I think it's also important to remember that we don't need the defense to be quite as dominant, because we have a Top 10 offense. It's something that's strangely become foreign for the fan base.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, vikingsrule said:

The concern is every big game against a legit QB, we’re exposed. Those prime time games could weigh heavy. the defense gave up 400 yards to Prescott and 37 points to Seattle. I get the argument that Donald isn’t playoff bound, but it’s not his fault Goff and the offense haven’t been good either. There are too many team dynamics that should go out the window for these awards. I’d hold the MVP award to a higher standard for team success to be honest.

Last I checked, we beat Dallas.

The Vikings have only allowed 300 passing yards twice this season. Only allowed more than 2 passing TDs twice. Same two games (neither of them SEA, btw)

Edited by Klomp

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Klomp said:

Last I checked, we beat Dallas.

The Vikings have only allowed 300 passing yards twice this season. Only allowed more than 2 passing TDs twice. Same two games (neither of them SEA, btw)

We sure did. Hunter had just 2 tackles and 0 sacks. If he had some big prime time moments, it would help his case for sure. I just think he’s still a bit too under the radar, I don’t know how he overcomes that. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lots of defenders playing great football in their primes. Hopefully the CBs rebound next year and a new 3T helps the interior pressure.

Edited by JDBrocks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Harris has earned himself a nice contract extension. Definitely prefer to bring him back than overpay for one of the free agent CBs.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

Harris has earned himself a nice contract extension. Definitely prefer to bring him back than overpay for one of the free agent CBs.

 

Like someone else said. Get rid of Rhodes and Waynes and spend the money to bring back Harris, Alexander, or Kearse.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, TENINCH said:

Like someone else said. Get rid of Rhodes and Waynes and spend the money to bring back Harris, Alexander, or Kearse.

I’d be fine with that, though i don’t think Kearse is a huge priority. Might need to sign a decent veteran CB if both Waynes and Rhodes are out. I’d assume Hughes would start at one spot, but there would need to be a veteran to compete with Hill and Boyd. Hill can’t be trusted outright and they won’t start a rookie CB.

Edited by vikingsrule

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

On 12/16/2019 at 1:39 PM, VikeManDan said:
Week   Points   Opponent
Week 14   7   DET
Week 8   9   WAS
Week 5   10   at NYG
Week 15   10   at LA
Week 1   12   ATL
Week 3   14   OAK
Week 4    16   at CHI
Week 6   20   PHI
Week 2   21   at GB
Week 11   23   DEN
Week 10   24   at DAL
Week 9   26   at KC
Week 7   30   at DET
Week 13   37   at SEA

Updated table above through the end of the season and posted it below. I went back and also added Time-of-Possession stats for each game as well. We've been absolutely destroyed in TOP in our losses (minus KC). Hard to win games when you only have the ball for ~24 minutes. Perhaps other people can come to different conclusions provided these data points. I'd be interested to hear them.

Week Points For Points Allowed Opponent Outcome Opponent's Record before Kickoff TOP OTOP
1 28 12 ATL W 0-0 29:47 30:13
2 16 21 at GB L 1-0 25:54 34:06
3 34 14 OAK W 1-1 31:32 28:28
4 6 16 at CHI L 2-1 24:33 35:27
5 28 10 at NYG W 2-2 32:40 27:20
6 38 20 PHI W 3-2 32:04 27:56
7 42 30 at DET W 2-2-1 32:10 27:50
8 19 9 WAS W 1-6 36:36 23:24
9 23 26 at KC L 5-3 28:12 31:48
10 28 24 at DAL W 5-3 33:27 26:33
11 27 23 DEN W 3-6 23:17 36:43
13 30 37 at SEA L 9-2 20:15 39:45
14 20 7 DET W 3-8-1 33:42 26:18
15 39 10 at LAC W 5-8 32:21 27:39
16 10 23 GB L 11-3 22:28 37:32
17 19 21 CHI L 7-8 22:20 37:40
Average 25.4 18.9       ~29:41 ~30:19
Edited by VikeManDan
Had Denver TOP switched

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  



×