ChargIRs place C Mike Pouncey on IR

RaidersAreOne

14 minutes ago, FinSting said:

He could barely walk after all the injuries in Miami, it was shocking to see him have a full productive season for the Chargers last year. He needs a full hip replacement from old injuries, and now this serious neck injury. Doesn't look good. 

His hips, as far as I could see, have not been a problem

14 hours ago, The LBC said:

What part isn't true?  That Dean tries to find the least expensive solution to a problem?  Because that's true.  That Dean's got a long trail of nepotism throughout the franchise?  Because that's true.  That Dean has a history of questionable hires?  That's true.  That Dean over-inflates his business acumen?  That's true, as well.

Yes, he recognized a problem when they overhauled the staff.  But the new hires he made were middle-of-the-road, at best.  No move towards potential innovators or consideration to exploring new technique or approaches.  Dean loves him some sticks in the mud.

Not sure what is up with your weird Dean Spanos fetish, or your need to derail the thread with something completely unrelated but whatever.

1 hour ago, Bearerofnews said:

People wonder why im optimistic. I have to be to balance out the most pessimistic fanbase on here, the Chargers. Everyone calling it quits, im calling it a surge. Now Chargers can have Feeny and Lamp on the field together. I think they will play well. 

We're not even the most pessimistic unfortunately lol. We'll see about Feeney at center. A position that he had never played before until this year.

If one was to go soley by injured reserved players, the Chargers are actually the 4th least IRed team in the league from 2015-2018 (2016 was crazy):

https://www.sportfacts.org/nfl-injuries-by-team/

If you go, however, by AGL things are a little different.

2015: 27th

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stat-analysis/2016/2015-adjusted-games-lost

2016: 31st (this lines up perfectly with the IR issue)

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stat-analysis/2017/2016-adjusted-games-lost

2017: 16th (We actually did better for most of the year until the 2nd KC game)

2018: 25th (dropped down again)

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stat-analysis/2019/2018-adjusted-games-lost-part-i

Edited by Xenos

3 hours ago, 3rivers said:

I never researched injuries by the numbers in the nfl. Has anyone noticed that there are more injuries of significance in the recent era as opposed to say 20 years ago when they had real hitting in training camps and practiced with pads  etc? 

Yep, I brought this up in another thread asking if someone had the statistics with Injuries soft tissue and otherwise from each Era?  I 100% believe the lack of physicality allowed in practices Tackling to the ground, no 2 a days, limited practices in pads, pre-season snaps, ect.... has had a negative impact. 

Never saw one posted?

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, Nabbs4u said:

Yep, I brought this up in another thread asking if someone had the statistics with Injuries soft tissue and otherwise from each Era?  I 100% believe the lack of physicality allowed in practices Tackling to the ground, no 2 a days, limited practices in pads, pre-season snaps, ect.... has had a negative impact. 

Never saw one posted?

Specifically pre 2011 injuries vs post. Let's say 2002 to 2010 and 2011 to 2019.

7 hours ago, 3rivers said:

I never researched injuries by the numbers in the nfl. Has anyone noticed that there are more injuries of significance in the recent era as opposed to say 20 years ago when they had real hitting in training camps and practiced with pads  etc? 

There's very much a correlation.  There was an effort, I believe, during the last CBA negotiation from the players end to cut down on the physicality of preseason practices and such, and it's actually resulted in an increase in injuries in the interim rather than a reduction.  Will be interesting to see if anything is addressed in the next CBA, now that there's actually more empirical data to apply to the matter.

Unfortunately, it's the other edge to the sword of trying to protect players by creating new "safety" rules.  The more you change the game from how it's played by the players as they're coing through the developmental stages of learning the game, the more difficulty they're going to have trying to correct later on in life, and, reactively, the greater likelihood (I believe this has been born out by data) for injury as player self-correct trying to comply.

53 minutes ago, The LBC said:

There's very much a correlation.  There was an effort, I believe, during the last CBA negotiation from the players end to cut down on the physicality of preseason practices and such, and it's actually resulted in an increase in injuries in the interim rather than a reduction.  Will be interesting to see if anything is addressed in the next CBA, now that there's actually more empirical data to apply to the matter.

Unfortunately, it's the other edge to the sword of trying to protect players by creating new "safety" rules.  The more you change the game from how it's played by the players as they're coing through the developmental stages of learning the game, the more difficulty they're going to have trying to correct later on in life, and, reactively, the greater likelihood (I believe this has been born out by data) for injury as player self-correct trying to comply.

good post.  I never researched the data but it just seemed that way to me.  Some teams get the injury bug, and the injuries are serious IR types too often it seems. I do notice the knee tackling as I call it, possibly being responsible for a rise in knee injuries. I don't know how coaches ever allowed this form of tackling, but the league should consider doing something about that.  It's actually painful to watch, seeing someone get chopped at the knees.:o

Actually, I attribute a lot of the knee injuries to be a product of less contact being allowed in preseason.  I don't know that there's been an uptick in non-contact knee injuries over that past 5-10 years, but I feel like guys do get less desensitized to hard contact that they twitch or involuntarily respond to the prospect of contact and end up planting wrong - and doing their knees as a result - in both practice and in-game reps.

It's not about hitting in practices, it's about fitness levels and not getting enough adequate rest, and players hitting harder, and specialization in youth sports. 

Players workout way more than they did and they work out more efficiently. For a lot of these guys they're super tightly built and don't have the flexibility to bend and absorb contact. That's why you're seeing such an emphasis on yoga recently. Trying to get back some of the flexibility in the legs that you lose from squatting 500 every other day. They're also bigger than they were 30 years ago. It puts more pressure on the joints. 

We're also seeing a ton of guys being pumped up with enough painkillers that it's masking the aching pains that are the signs of muscle/tendon fatigue. Fatigued muscles and tendons are much more likely to strain and tear.

While in a lot of ways we see improved performances because guys have a full workout facility in their homes, there's also a lot of guys who will lift on their own on their day off, which isn't good. 

Players are also hitting much harder and aren't going for blow up shots to the head which are leading to blow up shots to the knees. 

You also have guys playing competitive sports and working out much younger than they ever have been. This is extremely prevalent in AAU basketball, but it's also happening in football, extreme sports specialization leads to injuries in younger sports because they're only developing certain muscle groups and not the entire body. When they get bigger from lifting, they're not as balanced. https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/27125793/these-kids-ticking-bombs-threat-youth-basketball

That's not even talking about PEDs and their affects on tendon anchoring ability in relation to muscular push/pull power. 

Edited by AlexGreen#20