Succession - *spoiler warning from ET + Ty*

Ty21

19 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

When Shiv brought that up and he goes "which one?" I was SCRAMBLING trying to remember him killing someone else lol

I’m still not sure what it means 

Rich Eisen is confused by Shiv going against her brothers but not using the vote to manipulate her way into receiving “x, y, and z” but to me it was one of her stronger, more clear sighted moments in the show. Maybe she didn’t love the fact she was losing and seeing her brother in her dad’s chair sent her over. Ultimately though she watched the three of them put a monster in at president and she stood up and refused to put another at CEO. Assuming her move wasn’t to spite her family (I don’t think it was), she showed a spine in shutting down a wrong decision before it could happen.

• Like 2

Although I am slightly disappointed succession never referred to Logan’s heirs. Still, I do think some of Kendall’s more modern concepts were on point (not living+) and pushed them toward the future more than Logan staunchly sticking to the old. If Kendall keeps his head on his shoulders and doesn’t kill himself, I think he’s fully capable of creating a smaller, maybe indie-ish version of ATN or Waystar media that is successful in its own right without being nearly as powerful. 

• Like 1

On 5/31/2023 at 5:08 PM, Ty21 said:

Rich Eisen is confused by Shiv going against her brothers but not using the vote to manipulate her way into receiving “x, y, and z” but to me it was one of her stronger, more clear sighted moments in the show. Maybe she didn’t love the fact she was losing and seeing her brother in her dad’s chair sent her over. Ultimately though she watched the three of them put a monster in at president and she stood up and refused to put another at CEO. Assuming her move wasn’t to spite her family (I don’t think it was), she showed a spine in shutting down a wrong decision before it could happen.

I think Shiv is just selfish.  I agree it was a good call not to give it all to Kendall given what we know about his collapses and tendencies and whatnot.  But I don't think she votes any other way if Tom never tells her it will be him.  She did it because that was the only way she was ever going to be at or near the top.  

Same reason she had no problem at all if Mattson fired Tom and didn't go out her way to explain how much Tom does for the company, even though she knew how hard he had been working after Logan's death.  She just chose the position that was going to best suit her, even if it meant backstabbing her brother (who is horrible and self-serving in his own right), as she's done throughout the entire show. 

Edited by iknowcool

4 hours ago, iknowcool said:

I think Shiv is just selfish.  I agree it was a good call not to give it all to Kendall given what we know about his collapses and tendencies and whatnot.  But I don't think she votes any other way if Tom never tells her it will be him.  She did it because that was the only way she was ever going to be at or near the top.  

Same reason she had no problem at all if Mattson fired Tom and didn't go out her way to explain how much Tom does for the company, even though she knew how hard he had been working after Logan's death.  She just chose the position that was going to best suit her, even if it meant backstabbing her brother (who is horrible and self-serving in his own right), as she's done throughout the entire show. 

You’re probably right. Jesse Armstrong was quoted on Reddit saying Shiv couldn’t allow her brother to be the one to get their father’s job and all his love. Which spins her character in an annoying way. My perspective showed a redemption for her character as she’d been pretty irredeemable the whole series and not choosing him because he would be bad for it is a lot more stomachable than letting her envy disallow any of them to get it if she can’t herself. Shiv sucks. 

• Like 1

On 6/2/2023 at 7:20 AM, Ty21 said:

You’re probably right. Jesse Armstrong was quoted on Reddit saying Shiv couldn’t allow her brother to be the one to get their father’s job and all his love. Which spins her character in an annoying way. My perspective showed a redemption for her character as she’d been pretty irredeemable the whole series and not choosing him because he would be bad for it is a lot more stomachable than letting her envy disallow any of them to get it if she can’t herself. Shiv sucks. 

Shiv also knows Kendall killed a guy, and we all know how much they all change their minds on a whim so I mean it's not too far-fetched to just believe she changed her mind in the heat of the moment when she realized it couldn't be Kendall.

I do personally like the angle of her changing to Tom so that she can still be there, but the result of that is now she and Tom are "stuck" together and Tom doesn't need her anymore, she needs Tom and she's treated him like garbage since forever. Idk. Doesn't seem like Shiv "won" that to me.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/31/2023 at 4:12 PM, Ty21 said:

If Kendall keeps his head on his shoulders and doesn’t kill himself, I think he’s fully capable of creating a smaller, maybe indie-ish version of ATN or Waystar media that is successful in its own right without being nearly as powerful. 

I put some thought into this:

- I think Kendall falls hard into drugs. So hard, he starts buying pharmaceutical companies along with Stewy and jacking up prices (ala Martin Shekrel, the pharma bro) all to fund research into stronger opoids to feed his own habits (ala the Sackler family). He fully leans into the worst parts of himself, all while thinking he’s saving the world by producing drugs that feed addiction. ATN turns Kendall into Public Enemy #1, blaming him for a growing opioid crisis (they’re not wrong, either).

- Roman, leans into backing President Jeryd Menkin via his own self funded podcast, which turns into a cross of Alex Jones’ Infowars and Andrew Tate-esque branded misogyny and red pill philosophies. As he faces civil charges from several sexual harassment cases, his followers ardently support him and his rally cries against the “radical left agenda” and “woke feminazi-ism”. ATN leans into Roman, turning him into a martyr (much to his dismay). PGN goes full on assault against Roman… with new PGN CEO Gerri Kellman and COO Lawrence Yee leading the charge, with a bankroll provided by Sandi Furness and Maesbury Capital.

- After giving birth to a baby girl, Shiv Roy-Wamsgams (she finally takes Tom’s last name) turns into a Gwenyth Paltrow/Reese Witherspoon type of mom-turned-exec. Her story is that “she turned down the chance to run Waystar… because her family and unborn baby come first!”  and that narrative is used to sell a ton of baby products and goods for moms and women. She soon finds herself as the CEO of a multi-billion dollar lifestyle brand company (one that uses child labor and environmentally unfriendly methods) but she can’t seem to get out of the shadow that is Wife of Waystar-Gojo CEO Tom Wamsgams. Her commercials are prominently featured on ATN in the mornings.

- Greg Hirsch is now the interim head of ATN while a permanent figure can sit in that role. As interim head of ATN, Greg finds out a very big piece of news: Jeryd Menken’s campaign team knows who firebombed the Wisconsin voting office, and were communicating with the group a few hours prior to the bombing. Greg makes copies and keeps this information on hand; His plan is to exchange his silence for his interim title to be removed and he be named the permanent head of ATN. Menken’s team wants this story to die, so they’re applying pressure to Tom and Lukas Matsson to do what needs to be done.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, ET80 said:

I put some thought into this:

- I think Kendall falls hard into drugs. So hard, he starts buying pharmaceutical companies and jacking up prices (ala Martin Shekrel, the pharma bro) all to fund research into stronger opoids to feed his own habits (ala the Sackler family). He fully leans into the worst parts of himself, all while thinking he’s saving the world by producing drugs that feed addiction. ATN turns Kendall into Public Enemy #1, blaming him for a growing opioid crisis (they’re not wrong, either).

- Roman, leans into backing President Jeryd Menkin via his own self funded podcast, which turns into a cross of Alex Jones’ Infowars and Andrew Tate-esque branded misogyny and red pill philosophies. As he faces civil charges from several sexual harassment cases, his followers ardently support him and his rally cries against the “radical left agenda” and “woke feminazi-ism”. ATN leans into Roman, turning him into a martyr (much to his dismay). PGN goes full on assault against Roman… with new PGN CEO Gerri Kellman and COO Lawrence Yee leading the charge.

- After giving birth to a baby girl, Shiv Roy-Wamsgams (she finally takes Tom’s last name) turns into a Gwenyth Paltrow/Reese Witherspoon type of mom-turned-exec. Her story is that “she turned down the chance to run Waystar… because her family and unborn baby come first!”  and that narrative is used to sell a ton of baby products and goods for moms and women. She soon finds herself as the CEO of a multi-billion dollar lifestyle brand company (one that uses child labor and environmentally unfriendly methods) but she can’t seem to get out of the shadow that is Wife of Waystar-Gojo CEO Tom Wamsgams. Her commercials are prominently featured on ATN in the mornings.

- Tom, after several years of feeling that something was missing from his relationship, decides to start having an affair. However, the affair is with his one true love - Greg.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

- Tom, after several years of feeling that something was missing from his relationship, decides to start having an affair. However, the affair is with his one true love - Greg.

Check my edit - just wrote up some on Greg.

• 2 weeks later...

- Connor Roy dies in a submersible accident/implosion at the bottom of the Mariana’s Trench, looking for the Loch Ness Monster. Willa finds out while backstage at a John Mayer concert; Nine months to the day, Willa gives birth to a baby boy.

• 2 months later...

Jesse Armstrong seems to have resolved a lingering mystery from “Succession” — but some fans are aren’t ready to toe his line. The creator of the Emmy-winning HBO drama was asked Saturday at a Financial Times event in London about a line that his character Logan Roy (Brian Cox) wrote on a non-legal document about his dying wishes.

In Episode 4 of the show’s fourth and final season, titled “Honeymoon States,” Logan’s family and friends gather at his home to mourn his death. During the wake, Frank (Peter Friedman), who is the executor of Logan’s estate, finds a “rather worrying piece of paper” in a private safe. The typed and undated document, which was written and later annotated by Logan Roy before his death, seems to indicate that he wanted his son Kendall Roy (Jeremy Strong) to be the successor to his media empire, Waystar Royco.

This intention is signified by Logan seeming to underline Kendall’s name in the document. But when Kendall’s sister, Shiv (Sarah Snook), looks at the paper, she points out that, although the first half of Kendall’s name looks underlined, the last part of his name appears to be crossed out. The intention of the line was then debated by the characters and later by fans of the show online.

But Armstrong seemed to settle that debate. In a video from Armstrong’s talk on Saturday, Armstrong gives an answer — although it’s about as coy as Logan’s etched line:

“If you were going to cross out, you wouldn’t start underneath, would you?” Armstrong asked the crowd in response to the question. After he says this, he puts his finger to his temple, making the “think about it” gesture. When someone in the crowd eventually shouts, “Underlined!” Armstrong takes a bow.

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/succession-kendall-name-underlined-crossed-out_n_64f606bee4b0205555fc236b