Succession - *spoiler warning from ET + Ty*

Ty21

I'm going to start off by saying I'm not fully caught up yet.  Just getting into season 4 so if you reply please be kind and spare the spoilers.

I wanted to do a full rewatch to get myself all caught up and invested back into the series.  One thing I enjoy most about this show is how organic and flowing the character development is.   I want to liken it to Jaime from GoT but I'm not sure that's entirely accurate but I'll explain.  With pretty much all the main characters in Succession from Logan and the kids and some subset characters you can go through waves.  

The reason I bring up Jaime is because at first you hate him. Then you feel bad for him, then you root for him, then you question his judgement and then you may dislike him again.  I feel all the characters from Succession have that wave and honestly it's a credit to the writing and the acting for making that happen.  Ken would be the perfect example but I think it happens for pretty much every character.

Why can HBO get casting and terrific performances all the time yet other networks/streaming can't?

Also anytime HBO has a wedding episode........run!

•I liked Ewan’s unexpected eulogy 

•I also liked Roman’s vulnerability that didn’t betray the character Roman has always been made out to be. Also understood his decision at the end to try to act like his dad and belittle lesser people until he got smacked on the nose. I felt like he might be going to his death for a minute to fulfill ET’s prophecy but the crowd was nonviolent until provoked 

•Shiv standing at the top at the end would be an underwhelming ending for me 

•I wonder if this episode is to set up an unlikely victory for Kendall but that it’s ultimately the intention. Each of the kids showed their damage and weakness from abusive parenting in the episode. Kendall’s was lulling his publicist (is that what she is?) into revealing what her meeting was about even though she didn’t want to and then attacking her for doing it on the day of the funeral lol. 
•Idk what’s going on with Tom but I think he’s gearing up for a sad ending. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Ty21 said:

Shiv standing at the top at the end would be an underwhelming ending for me 

I really think it’s setting up to where Matteson wins and cuts all the kids out - just sort of sealing the deal that none of Logan’s kids were worthy to succeed him, it was always going to be an outsider. The US CEO will be somebody that nobody expects (Geri? Frank? Maybe even …Greg!?)

The kids will be left standing there with their money, but all illusions of trust and cooperation are now gone. They’re not going to buy PGN or create their own content, because even the slightest sniff at consolidating power at Waystar has them at each others’ throat - they’ll never be able to trust one another enough to get off the ground floor, and they’re too stubborn to let somebody take the reigns and get ‘em stood up.

(Granted, I’m like, 0/7 on these predictions).

• Like 2

Roman is just so awful.  It is hard to ever feel any sympathy for him.  I guess you could say that for the other siblings too, but at least you will see moments where Kendall and Shiv have self-doubt about what they are doing or causes they are supporting, even if they continue to go along with it because they want the power.  I feel like we haven't seen any growth from him at all.  "You thought you were dad, you tried to dad it"

I can't tell if this show is ending too soon or right on time.  Admittedly wasn't a huge fan of this past episode.  Felt too slow given the end is next week.  Plus all the Tom/Shiv back-and-forth.

On 5/23/2023 at 9:19 AM, ET80 said:

I really think it’s setting up to where Matteson wins and cuts all the kids out - just sort of sealing the deal that none of Logan’s kids were worthy to succeed him, it was always going to be an outsider. The US CEO will be somebody that nobody expects (Geri? Frank? Maybe even …Greg!?)

I will riot. 

After finally catching up I agree.  They’re going to get frozen out.  You can’t trust anyone in the show.  You can’t trust the kids, you can’t trust Matsson and you can’t trust Mencken. 

The kids all think they’re pulling power plays for themselves not realizing they are putting themselves a a disadvantage (well Ken seems to a bit) and placing fates in others hands and those are hands are full of self interest.