Wisconsin Badgers Thread | Fick got the Axe back

beekay414

8 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

Honest question for y'all...

How long of a leash do you think Mertz has with PC? Gotta expect that they'll play him through the EMU game to try to get his confidence back up before Notre Dame. If he drops another stinker at any point in that game, you have to go to Wolf.

Oh, and if we make the switch, Chryst has to be committed to it and not call a ***** *** level game like he usually does when he replaces a QB.

I mean if Mertz is this bad again? Bench him for Wolf or just run the triple option, but I don’t want to switch just for sake of switching. The whole pass O is a mess right now, it’s like 2020 Eagles. Poor pass pro, WRs not getting open, bad playcalling, and of course poor QB play. I don’t see any point throwing Wolf in that fire.

4 minutes ago, RandyMossIsBoss said:

I mean if Mertz is this bad again? Bench him for Wolf or just run the triple option, but I don’t want to switch just for sake of switching. The whole pass O is a mess right now, it’s like 2020 Eagles. Poor pass pro, WRs not getting open, bad playcalling, and of course poor QB play. I don’t see any point throwing Wolf in that fire.

I don't think we should switch just for the sake of switching. I'm just wondering if we're going to let Mertz grow or if we are going to yoyo him because PC can't figure out wtf he wants at QB, literally ever.

Wolf could at least offer a different type of running threat and we can go to a shotgun type option game. He's shown he can make simple reads and throw them accurately so it might be something to consider if Mertz ****s the bed vs ND.

Of course, that's asking PC to do something different for the first time...well...ever so it's probably not a legitimate ask. Man knows one way to coach and it's ridiculous. There's a reason he's a .500 coach when trailing at half. He can't/won't adjust.

Edited by beekay414

44 minutes ago, packerstk7 said:

This discussion has made me wonder, who is the last Wisconsin QB that actually improved during his time there?

Either Tolzien or Stave. I guess Coan became serviceable, like Hornibrook, but our offense was limited in what it could do with him.

EDIT - I guess Stave was more "serviceable" than developed/improved, since his senior year his TD/INT ratio was 1. So the answer is Tolzien...11 years ago under a different regime.

Edited by beekay414

13 hours ago, beekay414 said:

Is it a Mertz problem or a Chryst problem? Hmm, I wonder.

I think it is a Chryst problem.  Mertz was one of the top QBs coming out of high school.  Can a kid with that kind of talent crash and burn this quickly without "help"?