Jockeying for the Playoffs

vike daddy

1 hour ago, swede700 said:

I don't know why.  Call it a feeling.  It could be that the Packers might be drained from the SF game...and it could be because the Packers are horrific at stopping the run.  And while he's 3-1 against them in the regular season in his career, he hasn't performed all that well against them in his most recent games against them...mind you, the last time was in 2016.  But, I have a feeling it's going to be a struggle against them for him.  

Jones has been on fire the last three weeks, 9 TDS and 1 Int. Combine that with Barkley, perhaps their offense will keep pace with GB’s offense.

• Like 1

The folks at the Westgate Superbook have updated their Super Bowl odds. And they currently project a matchup of the New England Patriots and the New Orleans Saints in Super Bowl LIV. The Saints are 7/5 favorites to win the NFC title, and the Patriots are 6/5 favorites to win the AFC Championship.

Elsewhere in the NFC, the 49ers have 7/2 odds, followed by the Packers at 6/1, the Vikings at 7/1, the Seahawks at 8/1, and the Cowboys at 10/1. The Rams, who opened as 4-1 co-favorites in late January, have had their odds climb to 25-1.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/11/19/vegas-currently-sees-a-patriots-saints-super-bowl/

ESPN writer Bill Barnwell recently took a deep dive into the NFC playoff picture, which he called a “beautifully muddled mess” because of how many strong teams are bunched together. But the Vikings are clearly in the discussion, as ESPN has their playoff chances at 92.9 percent. If the season ended today, the Vikings would play at the Saints (8-2), who have the highest playoff percentage at the moment at 99.1 percent.

The 49ers (9-1), who have a playoff percentage of 95.8, would be the No. 1 seed and have a first-round bye. Green Bay (95.5 playoff percentage) would be the No. 2 seed, while Dallas (71 percent) would be the No. 4 seed. Seattle (84.2 percent) would be the first Wild Card team ahead of the Vikings.

Barnwell also mentioned the Rams (18.5 percent) Eagles (41 percent) as potential playoff teams in the NFC.

https://www.vikings.com/news/lunchbreak-vikings-have-90-plus-percent-chance-to-reach-playoffs?sf224020705=1

As the 9-1 49ers prepare to face the 8-2 Packers, 8-2 Ravens, and 8-2 Saints, they could be embarking on the most difficult three-game, late-season stretch that any modern NFL team has ever endured. Via Nick Wagoner of ESPN.com, no team in the Super Bowl era has had a trio of consecutive games against teams that have won at least 80 percent of their games this late in the season.

For that to happen, the Ravens and Saints both must maintain their winning percentage of 80 percent or more. It requires the Ravens to beat the Rams on Monday night and the Saints to beat Carolina and Atlanta over the next eight days.

If those things happen, the 49ers will indeed be the first team to face a trio of teams with winning percentages of 80 percent or more at this stage of the campaign. Even if they don’t, the stakes are high for the 49ers over the next three games. One or two losses could increase the chances that, despite their 8-0 start, the 49ers could end up losing the NFC West to Seattle.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/11/20/49ers-could-be-starting-a-historically-difficult-stretch/

On 11/18/2019 at 2:03 PM, vikingsrule said:

This would mean we have to win out, including winning in Seattle, would it not? Let’s say Green Bay loses this week to SF and wins the following week. That’s puts them at 9-3. 

The Vikes will be 8-4 in two weeks, assuming a loss to Seattle.

MN would need GB to drop an additional game, in addition to beating GB head to head. So who else does GB lose to outside of SF and MN? I just don’t see a team that will really be much of a test.

Dallas can’t be the best team that we beat this year.  This Seattle matchup is a big time game imo for this team. If we can come up with this win, my outlook on our chances to make noise in the post season will improve dramatically.  I do believe we are a good team.  However, like any team, I think we have positions of need; it just so happens that our weak areas are not the weak areas you want to have when facing Russell Wilson. 

Seattle is one of the best NFC teams in my opinion. Tied with New Orleans. They’ll be ready for Cook. We are going to need a big day from Cousins.  He has proved me wrong over the course of the past couple months, and I actually didn’t dislike his performance against KC. I would like for him to do it again since we are going to need it. 

Toughest game on our schedule but this one means the most to me.  I hope my nervousness about this game is settled when they take the field.  I trust our offense to do enough. Our defense however....  Lets just wait and see. 

• Like 1

So the Vikes basically control their own destiny at this point for a division title. Just win out. Won’t be easy with the Seahawks game next. At least the division games are at home to close the year and the Chargers shouldn’t be a threat with how bad Rivers has been of late. 

Looking at the Packers remaining schedule, the Giants or Lions (both road games) would need to pull off an upset for MN to lose to Seattle and still have a shot at the North title. The Packers have an easy home schedule the rest of the way.

Second seed isn’t out of the question. The Saints aren’t elite and they still have to go to Atlanta, who beat them convincingly in NO.

Edited by vikingsrule

15 minutes ago, swede700 said:

How disappointing would it be to go 13-3 and still have to play in the wildcard round?

How would that be possible? We'd win the North and GB would be in the WC at 12-4 or worse.

*Unless you're referring to the NFCW?

Edited by VikeManDan

3 minutes ago, VikeManDan said:

How would that be possible? We'd win the North and GB would be in the WC at 12-4 or worse.

*Unless you're referring to the NFCW?

There are still 2 division winners that play in the Wildcard Round.  You only get a bye if you're a #1 or #2 seed.