Jockeying for the Playoffs

vike daddy

2 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

The only game on GBs schedule I see as a potential loss is at Detroit in week 17, if Stafford plays. Otherwise, they’ve got an easy schedule to close the year. 

The Rams still play SF and Seattle so I think their playoff chances are slim. 

Eh, Chicago at soldier should never been seen as a gimme for GB unless Cutler is at QB. :)

• Like 2

On 11/29/2019 at 9:58 AM, vike daddy said:

The Saints became the first team to book a playoff berth when they beat the Falcons on Thursday and they have four weeks to enjoy life as NFC South champions before the postseason gets underway.

The NFCS and NFCE have taken decided downturns this year. T'ain't what they used to be.

33 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

Unless the Packers drop a game they should win, it seems very likely that we will be going to Lambeau in the wild card round. That’s not a bad matchup, I think this team can win in Green Bay. 

The Vikings need the Packers to drop one for the Vikings to make it up to the three seed. From there, they would play the Packers in Minneapolis since Green Bay would be the sixth seed if they lose two more baring a complete meltdown by either Seattle or San Fransisco.

If the Vikings do not pass the Packers, it is likely that they will end up being the sixth seed and going to play Green Bay in Wisconsin. Again, baring a complete meltdown from the NFC West wild card team. But it is possible that Green Bay would earn the bye. That is even somewhat likely if Green Bay wins the rest of their games this year.  In that case the Vikings would be traveling to San Fransisco, Seattle, or New Orleans.

7 minutes ago, Cearbhall said:

The Vikings need the Packers to drop one for the Vikings to make it up to the three seed. From there, they would play the Packers in Minneapolis since Green Bay would be the sixth seed if they lose two more baring a complete meltdown by either Seattle or San Fransisco. If the Vikings do not pass the Packers, it is likely that they will end up being the sixth seed and going to play Green Bay in Wisconsin. Again, baring a complete meltdown from the NFC West wild card team. But it is possible that Green Bay would earn the bye. That is even somewhat likely if Green Bay wins the rest of their games this year.  In that case the Vikings would be traveling to San Fransisco, Seattle, or New Orleans.

This is all very interesting and even somewhat informative.....but to get down to brass tacks. The Packers will nail down the higher seed and whenever (read: if) they have to play the Vikings - they will send the Norsemen home for year. Much easier no?  :)

We have to come out on top in games like the one last night.  We can settle for acceptance of competing well, but we were given opportunities to pry the game away and in our favor and we still couldn’t get it done.  

I’m not looking forward to the playoffs because there are at least 3 teams that I cannot see THIS Vikings team beating: Seahawks, 49ers and Saints. If they prove me wrong then I’ll happily eat my words.  As of right now though, our attempt at a playoff run is certainly going to end early, imo.  

Im not worried about Green Bay.  As far as I’m concerned, they are an annoying wannabe deterrence in our path to the post season. I feel very confident against them.  If we do play them in the playoffs, I feel really good about it.  

Overall this team has surprised me in ways that I did not expect.  I can’t complain about Cousins for the majority of this year. He’s played very well. His performance last night was exactly what I wanted to see but the performance of the rest of the team (defense, though they weren’t terrible, there were significant holes that a 2015-2018 Vikings defense wouldn’t have at least fixed to some degree) did not retain the momentum that the offense gave us.  

At this moment Kirk Cousins and the O-line have exceeded my expectations.  Did Clowney have a sack? It is just so frustrating that when we do acquire such a potent offense and more than reliable QB play, our defense decides to s*** the bed most of the time.  Barely getting that pass off to Rudolph near the sideline while being crushed was a thing of beauty. He excelled even without Thielen, Cook being lost early into the 3rd, and his starting LT. He has proven me wrong this year and I only hope that level of play will continue. 

Complaints/Concerns? Rhodes. Some Coaching. Penalties not called.  I get some penalties not being called in the heat of the game but how does a guy get mugged and there is no flag?  

Edited by Torchezim

12 minutes ago, Torchezim said:

Im not worried about Green Bay.  As far as I’m concerned, they are an annoying wannabe deterrence in our path to the post season. I feel very confident against them.  If we do play them in the playoffs, I feel really good about it.

Now this is just uncalled for and a tad overly provocative no?  I mean, I can certainly understand your perspectives and how they were formed....given the years of losing to the Packers that the Vikings have subjected you to. It certainly cant be easy to endure...just cant be....and....being led by a QB that cant quit getting nervous in big games (and losing...) and coughing up the critical fumble (and losing...) or tossing the ill intentioned INT (and losing some more...). Very hard. It must be very hard indeed.   Just bustin' on ya....a little bit at least :)

Edited by Leader

Just now, Leader said:

Now this is just uncalled for and a tad overly provocative no?  I mean, I can certainly understand your perspectives and how they were formed....given the years of losing to the Packers that the Vikings have subjected you to. It certainly cant be easy to endure...just cant be....and....being led by a QB that quit getting nervous in big games (and losing...) and coughing up the critical fumble (and losing...) or tossing the ill intentioned INT (and losing some more...). Very hard. It must be very hard indeed.   Just bustin' on ya....a little bit at least :)

It just sort of makes up for the 20+ years that the Packers were losing to the Vikings.  Don't you fear, Leader sir...the Lynn Dickey era-type of play is coming back...it's karma.  ;)

I do disagree with @Torchezim on a couple of things though...I do think the Vikings match up fairly well with the 49ers and Saints.  I think they can beat both of them...now whether they would or not, that's a whole other story.  I just don't want them to play the Seahawks again, because they don't seem to match up well with them, no matter where they play.  The 49ers still have Garoppolo, and I don't trust him yet in a big spot game.  The Saints and Vikings games are always entertaining...and competitive.  

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Leader said:

Now this is just uncalled for and a tad overly provocative no?  I mean, I can certainly understand your perspectives and how they were formed....given the years of losing to the Packers that the Vikings have subjected you to. It certainly cant be easy to endure...just cant be....and....being led by a QB that cant quit getting nervous in big games (and losing...) and coughing up the critical fumble (and losing...) or tossing the ill intentioned INT (and losing some more...). Very hard. It must be very hard indeed.   Just bustin' on ya....a little bit at least :)

The week 2 game is far different from the impending matchup later on.  As for Green Bay though, they don’t seem to have changed much. Their defense is a tad better but even that is overrated.  I still respect Rodgers but he doesn’t scare me nearly like he used to.  I honestly don’t think Packers would have lasted one quarter against Seattle last night.  Not intending to compare losing efforts lol but I don’t really feel threatened by Green Bay.  It’s a rivalry game so those are always fun; I just feel we are a more complete and far more capable team.  

We will see though. 

53 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

The only game on GBs schedule I see as a potential loss is at Detroit in week 17, if Stafford plays. Otherwise, they’ve got an easy schedule to close the year. 

I think you're underestimating Chicago, here. Green Bay has been held below 20 points three times this year. One of those games was against Chicago. The Bears are more than capable of slowing down GB's offense. Not sure Chicago can score enough points to win. but Green Bay is capable of dropping that game as well, especially if they are overlooking the Bears the week before a big matchup with Minnesota.

1 minute ago, Nozizaki said:

I think you're underestimating Chicago, here. Green Bay has been held below 20 points three times this year. One of those games was against Chicago. The Bears are more than capable of slowing down GB's offense. Not sure Chicago can score enough points to win. but Green Bay is capable of dropping that game as well, especially if they are overlooking the Bears the week before a big matchup with Minnesota.

We shouldn't overlook Chicago either.  We could easily finish 10-6.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Nozizaki said:

If the game was in Chicago, I’d agree. Just don’t see Chicago putting up much of a fight in Green Bay with Trubisky.