Jockeying for the Playoffs

vike daddy

The Saints have lost a significant contributor on their defensive line. New Orleans defensive end Marcus Davenport suffered a foot injury in Sunday’s loss to the 49ers and is expected to miss the rest of the season, NFL Network reports.

Davenport has started all 13 games this season and played 61 percent of the Saints’ defensive snaps, as well as 21 percent of their special teams snaps. He has six sacks and three forced fumbles this season. The Saints were so high on Davenport in last year’s draft that they traded two first-round picks and a fourth-round pick to acquire him. Although he was a backup as a rookie, this year he was developing into a complete player and a major piece of the Saints’ defense. This is a big loss for a Super Bowl contender.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/12/10/saints-expect-marcus-davenport-to-miss-rest-of-season/

The Saints defensive line may be down two players for the rest of the season. Defensive end Marcus Davenport is set to miss the rest of the year after hurting his foot last Sunday and defensive tackle Sheldon Rankins may be set for the same fate.

Rankins hurt his ankle in the loss to the 49ers and Ian Rapoport of NFL Media reports that it is a “significant” injury. He adds that it doesn’t look like Rankins will be able to make it back on the field this year.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/12/11/report-sheldon-rankins-has-significant-ankle-injury/

aww, that's a shame.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, vike daddy said:

aww, that's a shame.

Saints could easily lose 2 of their remaining 3 games (home to the Colts, away to Titans and Panthers), and end up 11-5. The Titans have been really good. NO will be favored in the other 2 games, but not overwhelmingly, and might drop one.

If NO wins 2 of 3 and finish 12-4, they have the tiebreaker advantage over the Vikings even if MIN wins out, unless the Saints' one loss is to Carolina. 

If both MIN and NO finish 11-5, the Saints have the tiebreaker advantage unless one of the Saints' losses is to the Panthers and the Vikings only loss is to the Chargers. The Vikings win the division at 11-5 if they beat the Packers head-to-head and GB drops one of their other 2 remaining games (home to CHI, at DET). 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, vike daddy said:

The Saints defensive line may be down two players for the rest of the season. Defensive end Marcus Davenport is set to miss the rest of the year after hurting his foot last Sunday and defensive tackle Sheldon Rankins may be set for the same fate.

Rankins hurt his ankle in the loss to the 49ers and Ian Rapoport of NFL Media reports that it is a “significant” injury. He adds that it doesn’t look like Rankins will be able to make it back on the field this year.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/12/11/report-sheldon-rankins-has-significant-ankle-injury/

aww, that's a shame.

While I never root for other coach's players to be injured, I have to say that it couldn't have happened to a nicer guy.

ipQr1pv.jpg

8 minutes ago, Vikes_Bolts1228 said:

So Vikings need to win out and Green Bay can only have one win in their remaining three for us to get the division?

A H2H win for the Packers gives them the division.  ASSUMING a Vikings' win against the Packers in Week 16, they'd need a Packers loss against either the Bears or Lions to pull even with the Packers in terms of divisional record.  I believe common game opponents would give the Vikings the edge since they only lost to Chiefs where as the Packers lost to the Chargers and Eagles.  A Packers' win and a Vikings' loss would nearly seal the deal for the Vikings, but not completely close the door.

Sadly, as far as the Vikings chances to win the division go, the Packers game this week is far more important than their own game. It is unfortunate to be in a position where you need help from other teams, especially from the much hated Bears.

However, a loss by the most hated Packers this this weekend gives the Vikings control of their own destiny for the division crown whether or not the Vikings beat the Chargers.

Beyond that, a Colts loss this weekend positions the Vikings in a decent chance to earn a bye if they take the division and win out.

Go Vikings! Go Bears! Go Colts!

Go Vikings!

There still exists a scenario where the Vikings get the #1 seed in the NFC and the most hated Packers miss the playoffs as the NFC West takes both wild cards.

The odds of this happening are appoaching zero, but until the odds make it all the way to zero this will drive my rooting interests.

To that end, this week I am a huge fan of the Vikings, Bears, Colts, Panthers, and Falcons.

The Bears and Panthers kick off first at noon to keep the dream alive until the Vikings take the field.

Keep the dream alive!

• Like 1

What are your guys thoughts on a Packer/Viking wildcard match-up?

It seems like it's bound to happen (unless the Saints falter as I'm assuming a Vikings win week 16), just not sure where yet.

Personally, even if it's at Lambeau I passionately hate the idea.  The main reason being losing to the Vikings in the first round would be tough to get over.  Risk out-weighs the reward here.  

19 minutes ago, upriser7 said:

Niners are really banged up right now...I wouldn't be surprised if Rams win out...if that happens, then Vikings also need to win out to reach playoffs. I really hope one of Cowboys, Niners can win vs Rams

I hope the Vikes can win out and build some momentum. It’s hard to feel confident with how they’ve played the last three games. Nearly disastrous game against the Broncos, ugly game against the Seahawks, and rather uninspiring game against Detroit where both teams seemed to be in snooze mode after half time. 

Can’t really tell what this team is at the moment. Cook hasn’t been effective running since October (averaging under 4 yards per carry per game since Nov 3 and no 100 yard games since Oct 20). Passing game seems okay without Thielen, more efficient than anything, and the defense looks like a liability. 

Edited by vikingsrule
  • Like 1

1. San Francisco 49ers 11-2 (vs. Falcons, vs. Rams, @ Seahawks) 2 of final 3 at home. 

2. Green Bay Packers 10-3 (vs. Bears, @ Vikings, @ Lions) #BearDown

3. New Orleans Saints 10-3 (vs. Colts, @ Titans, @ Panthers) 2019 NFCS Champs, will be no lower than the #3 seed.

4. Dallas Cowboys 6-7 (vs. Rams, @ Eagles, vs. Redskins) Does anyone want to win the NFCE? Which Ram and Cowboy teams show up this Sunday?

5. Seattle Seahawks 10-3 (@ Panthers, vs. Cardinals, vs. 49ers) I see 11-5 at worst. Go Panthers!

6. Minnesota Vikings 9-4 (@ Chargers, vs. Packers, vs. Bears) Sitting in the driver's seat for last WC spot and still have a shot at NFCN crown.

7. Los Angeles Rams 8-5 (@ Cowboys, @49ers, vs. Cardinals) Which Ram and Cowboy teams show up this Sunday? Go Cowboys!

8. Chicago Bears 7-6 (@ Packers, vs. Chiefs, @ Vikings) A loss coupled with a Vikings win might eliminate them.

9. Philadelphia Eagles 6-7 (@ Redskins, vs. Cowboys, @ Giants) Still alive in the NFCE.

5 hours ago, KFP7 said:

What are your guys thoughts on a Packer/Viking wildcard match-up?

It seems like it's bound to happen (unless the Saints falter as I'm assuming a Vikings win week 16), just not sure where yet.

Personally, even if it's at Lambeau I passionately hate the idea.  The main reason being losing to the Vikings in the first round would be tough to get over.  Risk out-weighs the reward here.  

I'd welcome a match-up with the Packers whether it's here or there.

They're such a fraud team regardless of what their record says. Rodgers is maybe above-average now. Their defense has regressed from good to average at best from week 1 until now.

I think we can beat them at US Bank then turn around 2 weeks later and beat them again where ever it is.