Languages!

fretgod99

1 hour ago, deeluxx3 said:

Movies with subtitles

This is a great tip too, especially if you're not a big reader. If you get your movies online, it's super simple to dubbed movies with English subs. Netflix often has foreign language options too.

I think the best thing you can do is to have your child learn a language when they're as young as possible.  It makes learning future languages much easier.  You can switch languages without requiring much thought.

I was raised with people speaking Russian to me since birth (later on learned to read and write).  But, this made it so much easier to learn a new language in middle and high school (Spanish) compared to my peers.  So many struggled while I could just absorb it by listening and getting an easy A.  I am tri-lingual but my dad can speak like 9 languages (some fluent, some enough to hold conversations).

Studied German for a solid 6 years

Studied French for 3 years

Studied Spanish for 3 years

I think being forced by my school to learn several languages at the same time really put me off and as a result I retain almost no knowledge. 

Need to learn Polish as my fiancee's family speak no English and the wedding is to be set I Poland. It's an incredibly difficult language to pick up as an English speaker (or generally any Latin language). 

3 hours ago, texans_uk said:

Need to learn Polish as my fiancee's family speak no English and the wedding is to be set I Poland. It's an incredibly difficult language to pick up as an English speaker (or generally any Latin language). 

English isn't a Latin language, it's Germanic.

1 hour ago, cddolphin said:

English isn't a Latin language, it's Germanic.

Correct. 

Point was, Western European languages have a lot in common and going from that to Slavic is exceptionally difficult. They have almost nothing in common. 

On 7/20/2017 at 10:27 AM, deeluxx3 said:

• Movies with subtitles

as an aside... my father was born in Europe and came over here with his family at age 14 speaking four languages, but not English. one of the ways he learned English was to go to the same movie over and over. because he would quickly learn what was going to happen in the movie and then could associate language and vocabulary with the scenes.

On 7/20/2017 at 10:51 PM, NickButera said:

I took 3 years each of Koine Greek and Ancient Hebrew for my masters. ...but they're both unspoken languages xD

Are you a Power Ranger or in a cult? lol. 

Can't casually throw out "my masters" ... 

3 hours ago, vike daddy said:

as an aside... my father was born in Europe and came over here with his family at age 14 speaking four languages, but not English. one of the ways he learned English was to go to the same movie over and over. because he would quickly learn what was going to happen in the movie and then could associate language and vocabulary with the scenes.

They had movies in those days? 

39 minutes ago, texans_uk said:
3 hours ago, vike daddy said:

They had movies in those days? 

Of course they did. But they were silent so I don't know how that helped. LOL

I keep telling myself I want to pick up a language but I suffer from to inflictoins preventing it. Indecision (can't decide what language) and laziness. Plus I'm afraid it may cut into my nap time which is unexceptable.

Archived