Why was Haskins drafted in the first round?

viper952

3 minutes ago, Forge said:

My feeling on the thread is irrelevant. My problem in this thread is that you called people morons. 

End of story. There's nothing else to discuss. Don't do it. 

If you have anything further to discuss on the matter, pm me. You can also pm @ET80. We don't discuss how forums are moderated in thread but will be more than willing to listen to you there and discuss anything further. So with that said, the matter is closed and everyone can get back to the topic of the thread. 

I’m not pming anybody. Does the shoe fit?  Is anybody really offended? 

Just now, Bonanza23 said:

I’m not pming anybody. Does the shoe fit?  Is anybody really offended? 

Then the discussion ends now. You can pm either of us, or not, that is your call. But we are done with this conversation in here. If you continue down this path, I'll issue a warning. 

Don't call people names, that is all I ask. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Forge said:

Certainly, but we've seen a couple of guys do that and turn out okay in the end. Alex Smith didn't get in until the season was half over and the 49ers were way out of it, and he looked miserable when playing to boot. Jared Goff sort of the same thing, though probably not as bad as Smith. 

I don’t think Alex Smith & Jared Goff being examples/ceilings of this is a good thing FWIW.

1 minute ago, Forge said:

Then the discussion ends now. You can pm either of us, or not, that is your call. But we are done with this conversation in here. If you continue down this path, I'll issue a warning. 

Don't call people names, that is all I ask. 

Ok then pm me about it. Sheesh calling out crap is evil?

Just now, ClutchDJ said:

I don’t think Alex Smith & Jared Goff being examples/ceilings of this is a good thing FWIW.

I mean, they were / are fine. Great? I don't think so. But they are competent quarterbacks that are not the easiest to replace (unless, you know, you draft Patrick Mahomes). I think people underrate how difficult it is to find quarterbacks even that good. 

6 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

@Bonanza23 - dude....take a breath, and move on.   Webby's forum, Webby's rules.    This isn't going to end well if it keeps going pubicly.  

FTR, I think the premise of thread is beyond ridiculous, but the line's been drawn.   I hear you, but trust me, let's move on.  

I say that as the team that has Drew Lock not even playing, and for whom GM Elway is thinking that he might not IR-recall him, so getting a FULL redshirt year... so clearly he's trash (I worry very much he will be, but that's not the point lol).

Finally a well reasoned post. It’s amazing when someone treats humans like humans. 

I don’t follow prospects very closely, so I’m not aware of the collective outlook on Haskins’ potential. And what I’m about to say isn’t entirely fair to Haskins as he wasn’t planning to play tonight and didn’t play the whole game. But from the tools and abilities I saw in their games against my team, Daniel Jones looks to have a lot more potential.

I like the way Jones steps in and moves out of the pocket as a rookie (even though he’s had sacks). I like the way he always keeps his eyes downfield. And he throws a good ball.  The games just moving too fast at this time for him it seems (and until last week he didn’t have much of a supporting cast).

Haskins better have a lot of upside because he looked very raw today. Much more so than the average 1st round QB.

Edited by Duluther

13 minutes ago, Duluther said:

I don’t follow prospects very closely, so I’m not aware of the collective outlook on Haskins’ potential. And what I’m about to say isn’t entirely fair to Haskins as he wasn’t planning to play tonight and didn’t play the whole game. But from the tools and abilities I saw in their games against my team, Daniel Jones looks to have a lot more potential.

I like the way Jones steps in and moves out of the pocket as a rookie (even though he’s had sacks). I like the way he always keeps his eyes downfield. And he throws a good ball.  The games just moving too fast at this time for him it seems, and until last week he didn’t have much of a supporting cast.

Haskins better have a lot of upside because he looked very raw today. Much more so than to average 1st round QB.

Haskins has 1 year of college starter experience.   Jones & Lock have 3+.   That's a huge gap.    Jones was recognized as being the most pro-ready - but having the most limited tools.   Lock was seen as having experience, but still a ton of mechanical flaws to work out, and some read progression / dealing with pressure issues (big flags, BTW).   Haskins showed the biggest arm of the 3, and skills in making NFL-level throws, but also had such limited experience vs. equal competition playing for a top 5 OSU team.   He made the most NFL-level throws and placement/accuracy you want to see in NFL QB's.  But he also had the least amount of reps vs. complex/elite D's of the 3, so the jump in speed is mind-boggling for him.     What we are seeing right now is not that surprising - but it goes far from accurately predicting the outcome outside of injury (no one can predict that).

Honestly, ppl have to stop drawing conclusions on the rookie year of play.

If we drew conclusions off 2017's class after 8 weeks we'd have said:

1.  Wow, Watson is hands down the best of this class.

2.  Trubisky isn't as good, but he's got hope.  

3.  WTH?  Mahomes can't even see any game reps?   And they traded TWO firsts to get him?  Alex Smith is sooooo goooood right now, what a waste.  And man, nothing is stopping this Kareem Hunt guy from becoming a mega-star.  Nothing.

Apply the same to 2018:

1.  Baker's clearly the top guy.  There's literally no one even close.

2.  Man, BUF is never winning with Josh Allen.

3.  Sam Darnold is hopeless.

4.  What a wasted pick on Lamar Jackson.   He can't even replace Joe Flacco. 

How would those takes age now?    Hmmmmm.....just saying.

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 8

1 minute ago, Broncofan said:

Haskins has 1 year of college starter experience.   Jones & Lock have 3+.   That's a huge gap.

Honestly, ppl have to stop drawing conclusions on the rookie year of play.

If we drew conclusions off 2017's class after 8 weeks we'd have said:

1.  Wow, Watson is hands down the best of this class.

2.  Trubisky isn't as good, but he's got hope.

3.  WTH?  Mahomes can't even get  down in?

Apply the same to 2018:

1.  Baker's clearly the top guy.  There's literally no one even close.

2.  Man, BUF is never winning with Josh Allen.

3.  Sam Darnold is hopeless.

4.  What a wasted pick on Lamar Jackson.   He can't even replace Joe Flacco. 

All of my post is not about drawing conclusions now but putting their limited performances into perspective and looking at what skills these QB’s have going forward. You’re barking up the wrong tree.

at the same time though, I’m left legitimately asking (if implied), what are Haskins’ strengths... or at least tools to develop? Because I didn’t see anything to build off of tonight (which is about all I’ll see if a 1 win backup QB this season, I assume, so it’s worth asking).

4 minutes ago, Duluther said:

All of my post is not about drawing conclusions now but putting their limited performances into perspective and looking at what skills these QB’s have going forward. You’re barking up the wrong tree.

at the same time though, I’m left legitimately asking (if implied), what are Haskins’ strengths... or at least tools to develop? Because I didn’t see anything to build off of tonight (which is about all I’ll see if a 1 win backup QB this season, I assume, so it’s worth asking).

The first paragraph answered your Q.   The 2nd was directed at the thread in general.  The reply isn't always directed at the OP only.  I figured that was clear since it started with a statement about drawing conclusions off such a short sample size, which you didn't raise.

Either way, though, I've expanded the 1st paragraph, so it addresses your Q's from what I saw.   The rest after the 1st paragraph  isn't directed solely at you, but the premise of the thread.   

Edited by Broncofan

58 minutes ago, Bonanza23 said:

I don’t need to pm anybody. The thread is as usual in here knee jerk, too soon crap that doesn’t need discussed. Oooo boy a rookie qb struggling. 2 games in? The hot take garbage is exactly what it is, garbage. Do you deny it?

Calling Haskins a bust and talking about whether he should have been a first round pick or not are two different things.  I think this is a valid thread.  The reality is Haskins started one year in college and probably should not have been a first round pick.  

Edited by MKnight82
  • Like 1