Martial Arts

fretgod99

3 hours ago, fretgod99 said:

Don't know much about muay thai itself. With most of this stuff, my general position is check it out and see if it's for you. Does the training process sound engaging to you? Is the instructor someone you respect and find respectful? Can the school meet your training goals/requirements? If you're looking for a low key family experience where you learn some self-defense and work on personal goals/fitness, you might be looking at a different school than someone who wants to train hard and mix it up.

My suspicion is that muay thai tends to be among the more aggressively trained martial arts, but don't have a lot to back that up from personal knowledge (and again it depends on the school/instructor). That's neither good nor bad, just depends on what you're looking to get out of it.

Ya im dabbling like that in a few things trying to get a grip on striking. There is a family mma gym im going to take the kids to when there old enough but i would prefer something more serious for myself. I just know boxing and kickboxing i get wrecked in with my poor arm and leg length. 

19 minutes ago, cddolphin said:

Sparring with knees and elbows seems like a guaranteed daily headache. Fascinating to watch, I imagine it must feel terrible to actually spar though.

Nothing better to teach you to keep your hands up lol but definitely going to have the fundamentals down before doing sparing and starting sparing with a trainer. Then i can just be the one who beats up the meat heads.

37 minutes ago, eagles101 said:
2 hours ago, cddolphin said:

I would be scared to take muay thai tbh. Seems like the go-to martial art for masochists.

why would that scare you though?

I've done some sparring with MMA guys at one of the gyms I train at. Don't do it a ton because I'm not particularly interested in being an actual fighter by trade. But, it does take quite a bit to be ok with getting jacked in the face fairly regularly. It's not fun and certainly not for everyone. That's why I always preach recognizing what your goals are when you're deciding on a gym/style. If you want more of the contact sparring, that's a great training tool! Find a gym that does it. Definitely is not for everybody, though.

1 hour ago, fretgod99 said:

I've done some sparring with MMA guys at one of the gyms I train at. Don't do it a ton because I'm not particularly interested in being an actual fighter by trade. But, it does take quite a bit to be ok with getting jacked in the face fairly regularly. It's not fun and certainly not for everyone. That's why I always preach recognizing what your goals are when you're deciding on a gym/style. If you want more of the contact sparring, that's a great training tool! Find a gym that does it. Definitely is not for everybody, though.

Could you speak to the value of doing kickboxing / boxing / muay thai drills but sparring rarely if at all? Getting your hips and hands right even if you don't apply it constantly must have some value.

2 hours ago, cddolphin said:

Could you speak to the value of doing kickboxing / boxing / muay thai drills but sparring rarely if at all? Getting your hips and hands right even if you don't apply it constantly must have some value.

Absolutely it has value. Like anything else you do, you become proficient at things through repetition. Bag work and mitt work is huge for developing correct technique and learning how to deliver those techniques with power. What sparring does is give you more realistic scenario training. It ups your adrenaline, you've got someone actively fighting back, so it's a more realistic feel. But you can absolutely develop technique and build proficiency without contact sparring.

Most of the work is drill work, combo training, and mitt drills. Sparring is like the next layer, the icing on the cake so to speak.

• 4 months later...
On ‎7‎/‎25‎/‎2017 at 10:12 PM, fretgod99 said:

Absolutely it has value. Like anything else you do, you become proficient at things through repetition. Bag work and mitt work is huge for developing correct technique and learning how to deliver those techniques with power. What sparring does is give you more realistic scenario training. It ups your adrenaline, you've got someone actively fighting back, so it's a more realistic feel. But you can absolutely develop technique and build proficiency without contact sparring.

Most of the work is drill work, combo training, and mitt drills. Sparring is like the next layer, the icing on the cake so to speak.

I used to go to an MMA gym and that's all I wanted to do, I loved the work and it was a great workout.  Hated sparring because I wasn't there to get hit. Also loved learning Jiu jitsu techniques.  It's like a chess match.

Not sure if I'll ever follow through with it because I can't show up to work with a beat up face but, I want to compete in a MMA event at some point; sort of a bucket list goal and I'm trying to find something, along with rock climbing, that I can compete in.  Not sure when I'll start but, need to decide on what martial arts to begin with as a foundation.  

I have really ****ty eyesight so I was thinking about sticking to BJJ where I won't need to see as much...

That said, I used to do karate as a kid and while it wasn't 100% legit karate, I definitely still picked up some reactions and basic instincts from sparring.  I had a friendly sparring match with a buddy a little while back and was able to palm about 80% of the punches he threw even though his hands were just fuzzy blobs due to my horrible vision; unsure if he just really really sucked at striking or not but, I definitely have some semblance of reaction.  

On the flip side, I've been doing indoor rock climbing for almost 2 years now and have some serious back + grip strength so, I feel like BJJ would be something my body is sort of built for already.  

Back and grip strength is fantastic for BJJ. And no, you shouldn’t be able to palm anybody’s punches on any kind of regular basis unless that person is terrible at punching, throwing punches from way too far out to be realistic, or (more likely) both.

Ironically though, not having great eyesight could conceivably make you better at sparring, since it would likely be more difficult to feint an opponent who can’t see clearly. Feinting is usually relatively subtle.

Regardless, lots to do before stepping in a ring. Try out BJJ for a while, see how you like it. There are competitions (both gi and no gi) if you’re interested and that may satisfy your competition itch without having to take fists to the dome.

Any form in particular that you guys would recommend for just a great workout? I hate running, find weight lifting a bore but have stuck to that for about a year, so trying to find something that's a bit more exciting that can keep me interested and going regularly. Only issue is I have a couple herniated discs, spinal stenosis, and arthritis in my neck so anything that involves getting thrown to a mat repeatedly is out.

Archived