Draft Approach

mwalker

Looks like they will roll with who they have.  Unless an injury happens.  More PT for JW and DJ, with some Holton sprinkled in for dramatic effect.

Hopefully use Vance more as well.  Best weapons on the field kinda thing.

I'm thinking Trey is here to stay and we will roll with 4 RB (5 with Rosie) and maybe use Samuels more of a gimmick guy once Connor and Snell are back.  Trey has shown enough to stay.

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/29/2019 at 6:49 PM, CalhounLambeau said:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1QbJONz-aRK6WCaSUH4sGS1wAjN_lkg1j7Mrtp1lGJxw/edit?usp=sharing

Doing my usual twice a year spam. If you're looking for a great draft resource we've got you covered here. All the video, DOB's, ht/wt, all the players. Enjoy. 

That right there is some incredible work.

• Like 1

If the Bud behavior and character that we see this year is what they will get going forward, then they should definitely be resigning him. Expect it to be in the 5 yr 70 million range with about 32 to 36 guaranteed. 

In order to do that they most definitely would have to cut the overpaid and unreliable Vance McDonald as well as Mark Barron. Figuring they will re-sign Nick Vannett to something in the area of 3-4 yrs for 12-15 million. Not sure on that one but its ballparking numbers. 

Hargrave would be tough to fit in with all other future needs but is possible. Id prefer them not to overpay / over compromise their future position. 

Id assume Finney is gonna walk to get paid. Gotta compromise and not unlike Hubbard you cant pay everybody unless Foster retires or is cut but dont quite see that happening. 

I havent been breaking down a fraction of the tape i usually do, due to some family health stuff but my needs list, coincides with a few players that ive looked into vs some value projections ive seen. 

Leki Fotu -DT - Utah along with Devonta Smith - WR - Alabama would be two of the players that I feel could make a difference both in the short and long term and be great fits as far as team needs and possible 2nd round values. 

Another prospect that I believe could be good value Brycen Hopkins- TE -Purdue. Good ability to separate and goods soft hands in traffic and in the open. Is a good blocker in space, is aggressive on every play with and without the ball in his hands. Be excited to get him in the 3rd, only concern is the Steelers late pick in the 3rd may be too late. I wouldnt be upset to get him in the second but would definitely prefer the other two difference makers . 

Edited by JustPlainNasty

I have been going back and forth with a mock offseason, TBH.  Everytime I start working on it, I get lost in what I would do vs what the Steelers are GOING to do.

Reality is this:  It is Dupree vs. Hargrave and Finney.

As much as I would love to have Gravedigger and, in my opinion, a better Center than Pounce, the Steelers way is to resign Bud and let Hargrave and Finney walk.  And, we are going to have to over pay Dupree as well.

But, alas... it is what it is.

I think that Chick and Barron are as good as gone.  Foster is gonna be tough, but I lean to him coming back with Ben and riding into the sunset together.  That is going to make us very tight on $$$, so expect very little movement unless there is some very un-Steeler-like kicking money down the road to the point of paying Ben like $37 Mil in 2021.

Vance is 50/50.  I think he would be very different if Ben was the QB, and much more efffective.  Vannet is a great #2, and I have to hope for the future of our young TE.  At the very least, Vance's money will pay for Feiler's RFA tag, so I would do it, but again... not the Steeler way.

I think JW and DJ have made an offensive weapon LESS of a need, but still a need all the same.  If Vance takes flight, I would love Albert O or Hopkins to come in and be a guy that we can get in Round 2 and use in the O.  For the comp pick, I would have to look at a DL to replace Hargrave.  The 4ths would need to be swing IOL guy and most likely a CB/S guy for Davis/Burns who are as good as gone (although I would keep Davis as a 3rd safety/nickelback).

Thankfully, this draft is deep in Edge and WR, so there might be a couple of bites at the apple, so to say.

1 hour ago, JustPlainNasty said:

If the Bud behavior and character that we see this year is what they will get going forward, then they should definitely be resigning him. Expect it to be in the 5 yr 70 million range with about 32 to 36 guaranteed. 

In order to do that they most definitely would have to cut the overpaid and unreliable Vance McDonald as well as Mark Barron. Figuring they will re-sign Nick Vannett to something in the area of 3-4 yrs for 12-15 million. Not sure on that one but its ballparking numbers. 

Hargrave would be tough to fit in with all other future needs but is possible. Id prefer them not to overpay / over compromise their future position. 

Id assume Finney is gonna walk to get paid. Gotta compromise and not unlike Hubbard you cant pay everybody unless Foster retires or is cut but dont quite see that happening. 

Nice to see JPN again

+1 about Bud and how he has been this year, behaving and working like a pro, easily most improved player on the team. Imagine if they keep him and Watt and both enter their primes for the next 4 years and of course Tuitt and Heyward are still there on the DL xD. This year is a hint as to what that could be like

Any UFA's you would consider being possible to sign that could help the team? 

20 minutes ago, kurgan said:

I have been going back and forth with a mock offseason, TBH.  Everytime I start working on it, I get lost in what I would do vs what the Steelers are GOING to do.

Reality is this:  It is Dupree vs. Hargrave and Finney.

As much as I would love to have Gravedigger and, in my opinion, a better Center than Pounce, the Steelers way is to resign Bud and let Hargrave and Finney walk.  And, we are going to have to over pay Dupree as well.

I wold prefer them to trade POuncey and Keep Finney too, but we know that isn't happening. If Bud plays like he has this year such as going for the FF and being a pro, it's all good with me that they keep him as long as this season isn't a contract season and a peak of his career.  Him and Watt will push each other and if they play the rest of this season, they could  end up with 30 sacks and 10+FF which is the best we have ever had for the OLB starters.  They are at 21/9 right now and with 4 games left  should get past 30/10 and this alone is making a difference up from considering Tuitt is gone (but Hargrave is no slouch thats for sure) .  Anyone else here think they will get 30/10 this season?

I don't know what overpaying is, because considering how much he has improved this year, what if he continues at a similar rate for the next few years? I am almost hoping colbert stays and signs Dupree because it's helped the defence become legit and I want to see this front's progress 2 years from now . I expect Heyward and Tuitt to be about the same, but both Watt and Dupree to improve a bit and the pressure will be even greater.

It all depends on who they resign...I’m guessing Bud is resigned and Hargraves and 1 of Foster/Finney leaves.

Cut Chick/Barron/Vance...cutting Vance saves $5.6 mill and only eat $1.5 mill...resign Vannett to a3-4 year deal at $3.5 mill AAV(league rate for #2 TEs...sign Ebron as well).

Use your 2nd thru 4th rd picks on upgrading the Lines and possibly another lottery ticket on a offensive skill position.

Edited by AlanFanecaFan

2 hours ago, AlanFanecaFan said:

It all depends on who they resign...I’m guessing Bud is resigned and Hargraves and 1 of Foster/Finney leaves.

Cut Chick/Barron/Vance...cutting Vance saves $5.6 mill and only eat $1.5 mill...resign Vannett to a3-4 year deal at $3.5 mill AAV(league rate for #2 TEs...sign Ebron as well).

Use your 2nd thru 4th rd picks on upgrading the Lines and possibly another lottery ticket on a offensive skill position.

Hargrave might not be seen as a full time player, so that might keep his price down. Thats the only hope for him staying though, unless they decide to Trade/release Tuitt which would be wrong . Where else can they make room in the cap ?

40 minutes ago, jebrick said:

I would be amazed if the Steelers sign any FA other than their own next year.  It would only occur if they lose out on signing Bud

I think they could BS a mid tier type signing...something between Barron type deal( 2 yr-8 mill) and a Nelson type (3 yr-25)

Steelers like having a really low yr1 cap hit anyway...I think they could pull it off.

25 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

We should have a bunch coming off the books with the end of AB's dead money, right? I wish we could do something with Ben's salary. 

His $ went to the increase in salary of Nelson(5mill to 10 mill), extension for Haden and Fitzpatrick’s salary.

1 hour ago, Displayname said:

Could the resigning of bud affect trying to keep Watt, JuJu, and Connor?

It could but it shouldn't. If they really overpay him AND Ben is still playing, it might limit the amount available.  The wise thing might be to realize this and make sure there is enough to keep Watt. There is no way they let Watt sign elsewhere and I hope they don't make him play out the franchise tag - just give him the deal he deserves ASAP.   Connor has injury issues so that will limit his contract despite being great when he is healthy. JJSS might have a knee issue, that will be something to consider. 

I don't think the steelers can keep all 3 AND keep ben,  and existing top tier contracts from pouncey, Tuitt, DDC and Heyward. When the team is out of cap space, it's time to restructure deals or possible trade/release players, it's the cold reality of the business. Who, when is what time will tell.