Rams trade Talib to Miami

.Buzz

Save some cap this year to roll over into next year. As I said before if they trade for anybody else it'll be a guy they scouted for the draft in the last 2 years that isn't starting for the team that drafted him but our coaches like him. This is 100% for cap space next year. 

11 minutes ago, NVRamsFan said:

Save some cap this year to roll over into next year. As I said before if they trade for anybody else it'll be a guy they scouted for the draft in the last 2 years that isn't starting for the team that drafted him but our coaches like him. This is 100% for cap space next year. 

Pretty much, it's win-win for us.  Talib wasn't going to return a comp pick (almost certainly).  So it rolls over some additional cap space for use in extending Littleton, possibly/probably Fowler, etc.  My bet is they try to get in on the Kupp extension at the earliest possible window to keep the cost down (he's Goff's choice-WR1 and Cooks' concussions may become a concern sooner than later).  But even if we don't go that route, it frees up more available cap to pursue free agents (which I'm still leaning more toward "likely" than not as being in the cards for us), which I'd wager would very likely be somewhere in the trenches (either an actual 5-Tech to take some of the pressure off Donald or I do think it's possible we make a run at an IOL that's old but still capable of being a bridge-starter, similar to how we've done at other positions with Weddle and Clay on defense).

• Like 3

1 minute ago, The LBC said:

Pretty much, it's win-win for us.  Talib wasn't going to return a comp pick (almost certainly).  So it rolls over some additional cap space for use in extending Littleton, possibly/probably Fowler, etc.  My bet is they try to get in on the Kupp extension at the earliest possible window to keep the cost down (he's Goff's choice-WR1 and Cooks' concussions may become a concern sooner than later).  But even if we don't go that route, it frees up more available cap to pursue free agents (which I'm still leaning more toward "likely" than not as being in the cards for us), which I'd wager would very likely be somewhere in the trenches (either an actual 5-Tech to take some of the pressure off Donald or I do think it's possible we make a run at an IOL that's old but still capable of being a bridge-starter, similar to how we've done at other positions with Weddle and Clay on defense)

What about Ramsey contract?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, The LBC said:

Pretty much, it's win-win for us.  Talib wasn't going to return a comp pick (almost certainly).  So it rolls over some additional cap space for use in extending Littleton, possibly/probably Fowler, etc.  My bet is they try to get in on the Kupp extension at the earliest possible window to keep the cost down (he's Goff's choice-WR1 and Cooks' concussions may become a concern sooner than later).  But even if we don't go that route, it frees up more available cap to pursue free agents (which I'm still leaning more toward "likely" than not as being in the cards for us), which I'd wager would very likely be somewhere in the trenches (either an actual 5-Tech to take some of the pressure off Donald or I do think it's possible we make a run at an IOL that's old but still capable of being a bridge-starter, similar to how we've done at other positions with Weddle and Clay on defense).

I agree on all this but Fowler, he's gone just not enough cap and with Obo finally playing and flashing he'll battle for snaps in that spot.

1 minute ago, RamRod said:

Now that they’re both gone is it safe to say the combination of Peters and Talib was kinda a bust?

No they werent a bust. I was listening to the Herd and Colin said something interesting. He said that Suh, Peters, and Talib was brought in and did what Snead wanted and thats take them to the Superbowl. Ill add, it wasnt their fault the Rams lost the Superbowl. The defense played great. So the way I see it, bringing in those guys was a success because short of a Superbowl win or appearance, then you can say it was a failure. Again those guys helped the Rams get to the Superbowl and the defense played great in it. So again now they werent a bust. They did what Snead thought they would come in a do and help the Rams get to the Superbowl.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, RamRod said:

Now that they’re both gone is it safe to say the combination of Peters and Talib was kinda a bust?

On the field?  For the most part.  I do think there was benefit to what Talib brought to younger guys like Troy Hill.  It was an expensive venture, but if it pays off in the long-term with a successful development of David Long into an above-average starter opposite Ramsey, I wouldn't call it a complete failure.

2 minutes ago, RamPackFan said:

What about Ramsey contract?

It'll come.  But he's going to get bare minimum top of his position (possibly top defensive player) type money, so my bet is that the discussions with him have been that if his play level doesn't decline, they have no issue giving him the contract it's just a matter of timing it right; be that when they can move some money around in recent contracts like Donald's, Cooks', and Gurley's to make everything work.  Meanwhile, it's LA, not Duval, he's going to be able to recoup some fat endorsement deals as, other than Donald, he's going to be the most featured player from the defense in terms of ad use, etc.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, NVRamsFan said:

Why? You'd rather keep him than extend Kupp and Ramsey? He's playing his way into a good contract so take the comp pick and use the money for extending Kupp and Ramsey. 

Im always under the impression that teams will figure a way to keep players. The only way the Rams wont be able to extend Kupp and Ramsey while signing Fowler is if they choose not to. I think we look at someone like Brockers who could go but I think Fowler is what a team like the Rams need when Donald is getting double and triple teamed you need someone like Fowler who can beat one on one blocks and consistently get to the QB. When you have someone like that in your building you dont let him walk out. Fowler is right now having his best season so far. If he continues to play like this the sky is the limit for him and this Rams defense as a whole. 

Edited by stl4life07