Can Anyone Imagine This Playing Out?

soulman

6 minutes ago, soulman said:

And that is very likely to be one of the first things discussed by Pace and Nagy the day after the season ends.

But cutting bait an moving one will require a full blown plan on how to manage it.  We have no other starting caliber QB under contract for 2020 so we'll need to get one at the very least and probably draft another one early enough to feel we have a live prospect.

So I don't expect much change in Mitch's situation until that's been plotted out.  I still think they'll keep him through 2020 no matter what unless somehow a rookie proves he can handle backup to whoever else we may get and Pace gets a decent trade offer for Mitch.

I think if Mitch plays well, at or above last seasons level, you bring in Mariota and tell him to improve or sit.

If Mitch continues this you have to bring in a more serious starting option.

1 hour ago, WindyCity said:

I think if Mitch plays well, at or above last seasons level, you bring in Mariota and tell him to improve or sit.

I think this is a logical answer to what should happen.

1 hour ago, soulman said:

You just gave two good example of guys whose careers flourished after year three with new teams.

So exactly how does that prove your point?  It can happen provided the QB has any talent to begin with.

There are more examples than just those to players too, but at this point I've realized people want to believe only what they believe and not realize football, let alone the world, is not black and white. "Mahomes and Watson are playing well Trubisky isn't so he's a bust, a bum, cut his *** now he sucks we're right you're wrong *generic grunting noises*" xD

On 10/30/2019 at 12:11 AM, soulman said:

The physical tools are all there but his mental acuity and confidence as a leader are not.  Truth be told Cutler showed more leadership than Mitch has and Mitch is making all of the same errors Cutler was crucified for.

The difference is Jay had to take more risk in order to win with such a poor supporting cast.  Mitch has that supporting cast so all he needs to do is execute well and he's failing at that.

Not at all true. Cutler made much different errors. :D

Mitch is also getting crucified himself now, and for good reason. 

5 hours ago, abstract_thought said:

There are 2 aspects of Mitch's regression which give me pause:

1. He's had the same tendencies his entire career. The lack of poise in the pocket, poor footwork, and misreading plays have been issues for Mitch throughout his time with the Bears. These issues were evident last season. The hope was that he would stop making the same mistakes.
  2. The people around him seem to have lost all confidence in him. We've seen QBs (e.g. Dak Prescott) have down years early on. But most of them still looked like NFL caliber QBs even while struggling and their coaches allowed them to work through individual issues with mechanics or decision-making. When I hear that Nagy is worried about Mitch's body language it tells me the organization has lost confidence in its ability to correct Mitch's play.

We've seen enough to know that Mitch's issues are all mental. Why they were worse to begin the year is befuddling. If they ever go away (here or elsewhere) is a legit mystery. 

4 hours ago, WindyCity said:

That's beyond fair. If Trubisky continues to play like this or God forbid gets worse by the end of the season, you HAVE to bring in legit competition for him in 2020.

Hell, even if he plays better I'd argue you bring in a young, developmental prospect to push him. Mariota makes too much sense but I've heard some talking heads say it might take a "Mike Glennon" type contract to get him here... is that worth it? 3 years/$45M with around $18M guaranteed?

4 hours ago, G08 said:

That's beyond fair. If Trubisky continues to play like this or God forbid gets worse by the end of the season, you HAVE to bring in legit competition for him in 2020.

Hell, even if he plays better I'd argue you bring in a young, developmental prospect to push him. Mariota makes too much sense but I've heard some talking heads say it might take a "Mike Glennon" type contract to get him here... is that worth it? 3 years/$45M with around $18M guaranteed?

IIRC the Glennon contract was essentially a 1 year "prove it" deal because of team options. If Mariota is available for a similar deal, I think the Bears should go for it. He's been horribly mismanaged for his entire career, is familiar with Helfrich, and his skillset seems to mesh nicely with the design of the offense.

9 minutes ago, abstract_thought said:

IIRC the Glennon contract was essentially a 1 year "prove it" deal because of team options. If Mariota is available for a similar deal, I think the Bears should go for it. He's been horribly mismanaged for his entire career, is familiar with Helfrich, and his skillset seems to mesh nicely with the design of the offense.

Yeah I'm inclined to agree, man. Solid hedge to Trubisky sucking and if Mariota sucks then you likely have a high first round pick in the 2021 draft. Not ideal but it is what it is.

10 hours ago, G08 said:

Yeah I'm inclined to agree, man. Solid hedge to Trubisky sucking and if Mariota sucks then you likely have a high first round pick in the 2021 draft. Not ideal but it is what it is.

My guess is everyone would get fired if they are picking high in 2021.

I am not sure they will risk it.

2 hours ago, GBHalas said:

Honestly with Mariota's skill set I would like to see him in this offense to see if his play improves.  If it doesn't and Trubisky plays this way again next year we are blowing this team up anyway I believe.

The problem with Mariota is that he is as mentally shot as 10.

Some of these posts are reminiscent of our days in Minnesota with Christian Ponder.  Mitch is physically a more talented QB than Ponder ever was, but the one thing I remember is that people said you usually know after 30 starts what you have in your QB.  You have to at least give him 30 starts.  If he still isn't showing you anything at that point, it's just wishful thinking to keep him out there. 

I admit I'm no QB expert, but when I watch Mitch play, it just see a guy who goes with his first read.  You seldom see him looking around the field if that first read is covered.  IMO, he needs to be past that point by now.  If I were a Bears fan (and I am, to some degree) I would be wanting to see the team move on next season to someone else under center.  Your defense is just too good to waste with a mediocre QB. 

One guy who could do wonders in Chicago would be Alex Smith.  Is he even still playing?  I don't know if he would be available next season, but he is a guy who would probably be more than good enough with the supporting cast you could offer him.

Edited by Uncle Buck

56 minutes ago, Uncle Buck said:

One guy who could do wonders in Chicago would be Alex Smith.  Is he even still playing?  I don't know if he would be available next season, but he is a guy who would probably be more than good enough with the supporting cast you could offer him.

As far as I know, nothing has been announced as to whether Smith can actually play again, or if he even wants to. You would think that if he is willing and able to come to Chicago, that next season would be a long enough time for his injury to heal...

27 minutes ago, abstract_thought said:

Drafting a QB in 2020 is a pretty straightforward way for Pace to buy himself some time. I have a feeling he’ll go for it.

With a 2nd round pick though? Better love the prospect...