Draft Talk 2020

SmittyBacall

3 hours ago, TheVillain112 said:

Put Bobby Hart on the bench.  John Jerry has been playing better than he has at OT...

“For those who say you shouldn’t have signed Bobby Hart, who is going to play right tackle? Who? Oh, maybe you’ll draft one in the third round and he’ll come on. Really? You’re going to bet your season on that? We may still draft somebody. We haven’t had the draft yet. But you just can’t criticize. In our business you have to solve the problem. If you’re not going to play him, tell me who? Trent Brown at $17 million? Really? A seventh-round draft pick? Let go essentially by his team. Really? We can’t go to WalMart and buy off the shelf. A high quality starting right tackle? That doesn’t exist (in free agency). You have to deal in the universe of options you have. We ended up signing eight guys. That’s probably above average. Were they perfect? You’re not going to get perfect. …”

You think management that abides by this standard will relegate Bobby Hart to the bench? Good luck.

We're paying him to start him. They don't care about the results.

https://bengalswire.usatoday.com/2019/03/28/troy-blackburn-defense-bengals-signing-bobby-hart/

Yeah, Preston Brown has the mobility of an iron lung patient. Not surprising that a guy who was slow before a knee injury is even slower afterward, but the Bengals seem to be surprised by that. They could have had Zach Brown and Darron Lee as cheap stopgaps but apparently it was too much trouble to trade a 7th for Lee and give Brown a call.

15 hours ago, johndeere1707 said:

I had such high hopes after that Seattle game

I was pretty encouraged.  I think a win there would have completely changed the complexion of the season.  Amazing how one can make the whole thing spiral.

The fascination that this team has with bad players is astonishing.  That said if you're going to invest in bad players at least get better coaching.  Callahan has turned Erick Flowers into a respectable OL player this year.  Jim Turner as he has everywhere he's been hasn't improved anyone.  My optimism for next season is almost entirely going to hinge on if Turner gets canned.  If he's still there, even if we hit on draft picks they'll be young and need time to grow because the coaching won't hide any flaws...