Kwon Alexander out for season

49erurtaza

1 minute ago, sherm said:

Yep we all were doom and gloom with this unproven player Emmanuel Moseley having to step in for Spoon. Yet a month later we're now asking if Spoon will get his spot back. I have faith that our DC and vet player will get Greenlaw and others up to speed.

I was disappointed Witherspoon got injured, but I was fairly optimistic about Moseley. I am much less so in this situation. Not despondent or anything like that, but this is the bigger loss. Moseley has always played well in preseason and the like. Greenlaw was the mixed bag between run and pass defense. 

However, now we'll really get to see Saleh do his work. How he provides help to the rookie LB and how he schemes around this loss will tell us a lot more about his coaching abilities. 

11 minutes ago, sherm said:

Yep we all were doom and gloom with this unproven player Emmanuel Moseley having to step in for Spoon. Yet a month later we're now asking if Spoon will get his spot back. I have faith that our DC and vet player will get Greenlaw and others up to speed.

I don't really remember anyone being doom and gloom over Spoon's injury. I think most people were down on it because he was having such a great start to the season and it sucked to be him in that situation. But a lot of people really liked what Moseley looked like int he preseason, and it sounds crazy to say now, but people still had hopes for Verrett at that point in time. 

This is kind of a different monster. We are absolutely a worse team in this situation because it can't be schemed around. I just don't know how big the loss is. Greenlaw had to play a good chunk of the Tampa game, so there is that. He did not look good against the pass though in the pre season, and that's a huge factor because Kwon has been money there. That's how we can contain guys like CMC and Kamara out of the backfield without tying them to a corner or something. Dre is not nearly as fast and agile as Kwon. 

I'll really be curious to see if we change up some looks, bring in a third safety on passing downs and things like that. 

2 minutes ago, Pandomonium said:

Dre Greenlaw has amazing physical attributes and i think he can match the physical side of what Kwon was doing

the issue is will his inexperience hurt him?

Kwon is the far superior athlete. Now, that doesn't always mean a whole lot, but it helps in coverage for sure. 

I actually don't worry too much about Greenlaw against the run, or coming downhill...but asking him to replace Kwon in coverage is just such a big ask. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Forge said:

Kwon is the far superior athlete. Now, that doesn't always mean a whole lot, but it helps in coverage for sure. 

I actually don't worry too much about Greenlaw against the run, or coming downhill...but asking him to replace Kwon in coverage is just such a big ask. 

well I watch him in preseason and he played relatively well (albeit against other backups)
he isn't a thumper but will make the tackle that gets you on the ground
is coverage skills are so-so but I attribute that to inexperience.
the upside is that we have a sort of long week to get him as ready as we can.

you're right Kwon is a better athlete
but Dre isn't a slouch ....just "green"

5 minutes ago, Pandomonium said:

but Dre isn't a slouch ....just "green"

That's a fair way of looking at it. The bites on playaction are definitely ones that can be coached out of him. 

I really liked Al-Shaair as a pickup as well, so the plus to me is that he will see more of the field. It was noted that when Greenlaw switched to WILL, it was Al-Shaair and not Nzeocha that came in at SAM.

40 minutes ago, Forge said:

Yep, that was what I was thinking last night. This is a bit of a killer. Not something that can't be overcome, but absolutely not something that mitigated. We lose something here. There is no scheming around it or anything like that. We simply get worse...I just don't know how big the net loss is. 

Yea that is the big question right now. Kwon's speed transformed our front seven. No ways around it. His range was HUGE. Greenlaw doesn't posess the same type speed and athleticism, though he's not some non-athletic slug either. There will be a drop off, no question. But Greenlaw has been impressive since he first stepped on the field in TC. He has 8 games under his belt so you just hope he has seen enough live bullets that the game slows down for him over the last half of the season and he won't be a liability at least. May not be the playmaker Kwon is but I think we'll be fine if he's not the weak link.

• Like 1

Honestly in nickel sets, I wouldn't mind running something like this: 

Bosa /// Buck /// Armstead (or solly or day or whomever) /// Ford

Warner /// Tartt

Sherm /// Spoon /// Williams

Moore (FS) /// Ward (SS) 

• Like 1

Just now, nayad said:

Could he return if there was a deep playoff run? or is this injury a longer than 3 months?

No, he's done for the year. 

Malcolm Smith tore his pec in TC for us the year we signed him and he was done for the season I believe. If it's a full tear, its a significant injury 

Just now, Forge said:

Honestly in nickel sets, I wouldn't mind running something like this: 

Bosa /// Buck /// Armstead (or solly or day or whomever) /// Ford

Warner /// Tartt

Sherm /// Spoon /// Williams

Moore (FS) /// Ward (SS) 

I like it. Not picking favorites, but Tarrt has impressed me with his physicality around the LoS and 2nd level. 

If he brings more in the pass game vs Greenlaw and Al-S.. and it's logical that he would at this point.. then I'm for it. We currently have enough on the back end to handle S roles. 

• Like 1