WR upgrade

Ty21

I might be one of the most optimistic Gentry guys on the forum here.... and the most ringing endorsement I can give would be to say:

I don't know if he'll ever be a WR2 (which is imo his peak considering he's only really good at deep routes right now, and he doesn't possess the type of speed to get open running that route often).... but I do think he has a -very- real shot of being the best WR on our roster for this season.

Then again, that's also less an endorsement of Gentry than an indictment of the rest of our WRs.

Speaking of WRs, in the most Bears thing to happen today... I read an article on Sports Mockery talking about how Bellamy can be our redemption at WR, because despite his inconsistent hands, he is actually running routes well and getting open..... and then just moments later read a Tweet/blurb of Bleacher Report mentioning that Bellamy is out/did not practice with an ankle injury..... Bears gonna Bears

1 hour ago, IronMike84 said:

Nobody said verbatim that he would be a WR1 or WR2, but every other receiver on this not-so-great depth chart has already been completely written off in favor of Tanner Gentry solely because he hasn't yet had a chance to falter. There's definitely some foolishness to that rationale.

No one wrote off any of the other WRs off in favor of him it was only ever said he should have been the 6th WR over a 5th TE.

Im happy for Gentry, happy he has the chance to show he belongs or that he doesnt.  Every beat reporter talked about how he was clearly the best wr in practice every practice throughout camp.  No he doesnt have great speed but he has hands and knows how to attack the ball.  Lets see what he can do first then make judgements.  Right now how do i feel about the execution of our wr corps? Im in favor of it.

Here is what I say re:  Gentry since I have been vocal.  Let me clarify.  

I didn't watch one single Bears practice, but everyone who was at practices said this guy made more plays than anyone from day 1.  Than anyone.  And he didn't do it just once or twice, he did it consistently.  That's not nothing.   

He got a few chances in preseason and again he made plays.  Everyone watching saw that.

Maybe he will suck, maybe he will emerge as a heck of a player over time.  All I've said is he deserves an opportunity.  Because he earned it.  He earned it the only way you can in sports when you are low on radar of  your coach/GM/whoever, he went out in practice and made plays every chance he got.  You can't possibly do any more than that.  

Its a stupid coach or whoever who overlooks that at any level of football, but it happens all the time.   A kid transfers to a new high school and coaches don't know him, a kid isn't a highly rated recruit, a kid isn't a draft pick and so on.  Sometimes people change, mature or develop, sometimes your or someone else's evaluation was just wrong.  Believe what your eyes are telling you now rather than your report.

Hall of Fame and even is Hall of very good is littered with undrafted or overlooked guys and probably 100s or 1000s more who could have been, but never got a proper shot.

Its easy for people to say he will be no good, because that's what the odds say.  He was undrafted and nobody picked him on waivers, so lets just go with that.  But they don't know that.  Nobody knows that at this point.  Easy thing in the world is to predict failure, because most people fail.

5 hours ago, WindyCity said:

Re-watched the game. White should have had a much bigger game.

He was wide open on a number of plays where Glennon just checked down.

I can not over state how pathetically conservative and scared Glennon was early in the game.

I deleted the game in disgust so I never even looked.

Was it more just running into soft zones or was he actually beating his man?

We know what we have in most of our WR. corps. It isn't much.

But most people wrote of Meredith due to his position change and how raw he was. Maybe Gentry can make a similar progression. If not, he may be able to at least become a solid depth guy who can progress and take advantage of his time and chemistry with Trubisky. Maybe he can just be a guy to threaten deep to keep a defense honest, which is what we were all calling for with Jeffrey/Marshall. For an undrafted pick that is a damn good return on investment.

3 hours ago, Sugashane said:

I deleted the game in disgust so I never even looked.

Was it more just running into soft zones or was he actually beating his man?

A couple of plays where he sat down in the zone. A couple that he beat his guy at the top of the route.

I will try and swipe the screen grabs I saw on another site.

• 2 weeks later...

There are a couple of tier 2 WRs that interest me and that may fit the Pace free agency method better than Jarvis Landry or other big money signings.

Marqise Lee [Jacksonville]: shifty and a good route runner and will get more playing time now that Robinson is injured. Could have even more upside when paired with an accurate QB that will allow him to run.

Jordan Matthews [Buffalo] He has good size at 6'3" and he caught  a lot of TDs in Philly. Doesn't have great speed, but he is a slot mismatch because of his size.

Paul Richardson [Seattle] has been injured, but he can absolutely fly.

Taylor Gabriel [Atlanta] tiny, but so fast and has been productive in the slot and on the outside.

I would bring Kendall Wright back, like him a lot on the outside with Meredith and with Wheaton in the slot (or flip Wright and Wheaton for all I care).

Can't trust Kevin White at-all. I'm going into next season assuming he's already on IR.

Allen Robinson could be a solid 'get'... coming off a torn ACL, but that dude had 1400 yards and 14 TDs his 2nd year in the league.

14 minutes ago, G08 said:

I would bring Kendall Wright back, like him a lot on the outside with Meredith and with Wheaton in the slot (or flip Wright and Wheaton for all I care).

Can't trust Kevin White at-all. I'm going into next season assuming he's already on IR.

Allen Robinson could be a solid 'get'... coming off a torn ACL, but that dude had 1400 yards and 14 TDs his 2nd year in the league.

I do not know how much Meredith can be counted on. I think the Bears need 2 actual upgrades and if Meredith comes back strong awesome.

I think Wright will be worth bringing back.

Wheaton to me is probably too unreliable to bother bringing back when his guaranteed money is done. Invest that in a healthier player that will be more reliably available.

It will be interesting to see what route they go, they have been reluctant to drop top dollar, but maybe they do to support Mitch.

Tier 1 Free Agent: Landry, Robinson, Watkins

Lower Draft Pick

Tier 2 Free Agent: Lee, Matthews, Gabriel

Higher Draft Pick, Maybe 1st round

1 minute ago, WindyCity said:

I do not know how much Meredith can be counted on. I think the Bears need 2 actual upgrades and if Meredith comes back strong awesome.

I think Wright will be worth bringing back.

Wheaton to me is probably too unreliable to bother bringing back when his guaranteed money is done. Invest that in a healthier player that will be more reliably available.

I think he'll be okay... had surgery earlier in this month, typical 9 month rehab puts him at an early June return. I like him a lot as a #2.

Allen Robinson really is someone I would love to see Pace go after... he was a gamer his 2nd year in the league and he brings size to our roster and really would be a wonderful hedge to Kevin White being Kevin White. Tore his ACL this month as well, so he'd be back by June as well (assuming no setbacks, etc). I don't see him breaking the bank and he will be a UFA. Roll the dice.

Robinson

Meredith

Wheaton

Wright

White

Just now, G08 said:

I think he'll be okay... had surgery earlier in this month, typical 9 month rehab puts him at an early June return. I like him a lot as a #2.

Allen Robinson really is someone I would love to see Pace go after... he was a gamer his 2nd year in the league and he brings size to our roster and really would be a wonderful hedge to Kevin White being Kevin White.

Robinson

Meredith

Wheaton

Wright

White

My ideal

Landry

Meredith

2nd-4th round pick

Wright

Gentry

White, if he makes the team.