Week 9 GDT

TecmoSuperJoe

5 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

There's no doubt that he bails on the pocket too early, but that's more of a normal issue of a young QB trying to do too much/getting worried about pressure that isn't always there.

I actually see it the opposite - it's not that he's bailing on the pocket too early, it's that he's not finding his open target early enough and then has to move to make something work. I don't think I've ever seen him take a three step drop and throw to his primary target, it seems like he's waiting for someone to get open vs throwing to a guy and anticipating them getting open on their route. 

7 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

Most of why Jags fans are optimistic aren't because of those splash plays you're talking about. For the national media and this whole "Minshew mania" BS? Sure.

What DOES make you excited about him? Is there anything he's done that would make you think he'd be a better option than Foles? Or how about Justin Herbert, Joe Burrow, Justin Fields or Trevor Lawrence? Because that's how you need to evaluate him - is he your QBOTF, and why?

3 minutes ago, ET80 said:

I actually see it the opposite - it's not that he's bailing on the pocket too early, it's that he's not finding his open target early enough and then has to move to make something work. I don't think I've ever seen him take a three step drop and throw to his primary target, it seems like he's waiting for someone to get open vs throwing to a guy and anticipating them getting open on their route. 

What DOES make you excited about him? Is there anything he's done that would make you think he'd be a better option than Foles? Or how about Justin Herbert, Joe Burrow, Justin Fields or Trevor Lawrence? Because that's how you need to evaluate him - is he your QBOTF, and why?

I feel like you're capping his potential/room to grow based on his draft position big time.

What makes me excited? His touch/accuracy is very good. He goes through all his reads unlike a lot of young QBs. He's elevated most around him since he started (also rare as a rookie), and given the awful situation he was thrusted into the moment clearly wasn't too big. 

He literally was knocked because people didn't think he had the arm and his size. Neither has been a criticism so far. Of course he doesn't have the biggest arm but it's plenty big enough to be an NFL QB.

1 minute ago, .Buzz said:

I feel like you're capping his potential/room to grow based on his draft position big time.

I honestly don't think I am - I'm basing it off of what I've seen from him (I've watched him in the KC game, and 2x against Houston) and I haven't seen him grow from week one to today. If anything, he regressed pretty significantly once there was some tape on him. Today was the worst he's been, and it's not too surprising when you consider that there was no tape on him W1/W2 and now there's a half seasons' worth of tape on him now.

It's not like the Texans defense is good, either - quite opposite, it's actually very bad against the pass and it was down its top two CBs today (not to mention JJ Watt). If there was a defense to get right against... it was this one.

5 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

What makes me excited? His touch/accuracy is very good. He goes through all his reads unlike a lot of young QBs. He's elevated most around him since he started (also rare as a rookie), and given the awful situation he was thrusted into the moment clearly wasn't too big. 

I'll acknowledge that he's got the moxy necessary to develop. We'll see if it works out, but I'm not expecting more than this.

I could be wrong, who knows...

1 minute ago, ET80 said:

I honestly don't think I am - I'm basing it off of what I've seen from him (I've watched him in the KC game, and 2x against Houston) and I haven't seen him grow from week one to today. If anything, he regressed pretty significantly once there was some tape on him. Today was the worst he's been, and it's not too surprising when you consider that there was no tape on him W1/W2 and now there's a half seasons' worth of tape on him now.

It's not like the Texans defense is good, either - quite opposite, it's actually very bad against the pass and it was down its top two CBs today (not to mention JJ Watt). If there was a defense to get right against... it was this one.

I'll acknowledge that he's got the moxy necessary to develop. We'll see if it works out, but I'm not expecting more than this.

I could be wrong, who knows...

I guess we'll see. Watching every snap he's played I feel differently. 

• Like 1

Minshew gets a B+ grade as a 6th round pick thrown into week 1 and having to start 8 games. He will have a chance to compete for the job next year or to take over the job before his rookie contract expires. He's also a local hero already so that helps.

Foles gets his job back and gets a chance to work more late season magic.

• Sweeping Indy while going 5-2 or 6-1 should get a wildcard (or splitting if Buffalo comes off the rails)

The Jags are in a good place now with a good starter and a very capable backup who should learn and improve.

They also learned that DJ Chark could be a high end #1 WR with the right QBs on the team.

• Like 1