Week 9 GDT

TecmoSuperJoe

Just now, ET80 said:

Long term... I hope you keep him as your starter, too. 

I've seen a bunch of great looking off script plays from Minshew, but you can't sustain that sort of thing. Can he get on script? I don't know, but guys who are off script like that rarely get on script...

Meh. He’s a 6th round rookie. If he were a 1st overall pick having the same exact season everyone would be saying the Jags were set at QB for the next decade.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ChazStandard said:

Meh. He’s a 6th round rookie. If he were a 1st overall pick having the same exact season everyone would be saying the Jags were set at QB for the next decade.

Funny how that works...

He has Chark, Fournette, and a bunch of nobodies as a rookie. What more could he have possibly done?

Just now, ChazStandard said:

I'm not questioning the value relative to his draft spot. In that respect, he's produced more than a lot of 6th round picks. 

Still doesn't mean he's good. If the Jags are in a spot to draft a top tier QB in the next two seasons, but pass on it because of Minshew, they're doomed to fail.

Just now, ET80 said:

I'm not questioning the value relative to his draft spot. In that respect, he's produced more than a lot of 6th round picks. 

Still doesn't mean he's good. If the Jags are in a spot to draft a top tier QB in the next two seasons, but pass on it because of Minshew, they're doomed to fail.

Can you please reference what he's done to show he doesn't have a strong shot as a long term guy? 

I'd love to hear/see why and not just "he's a flash in the pan/makes exciting plays once in a while but sucks otherwise".

Just now, .Buzz said:

Can you please reference what he's done to show he doesn't have a strong shot as a long term guy? 

I've been saying it non stop - he's too reliant on off script playing. Pocket breaks down, he scrambles and makes a play, usually when a defender loses their assignment due to the off scripting. Keep him contained, force him to make throws against actual coverage that isn't breaking out of their assignment, you get today - a disaster that only gets worse as he tries to make something out of nothing. 

If you remember Case Keenum his rookie season, it was the exact same thing - he'd scramble around, uncork a bomb that would make the highlight reels, but would then turn the ball over four times that day because the defense got wise to it.

If Case Keenum is what you want, you've got him.

5 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

I'd love to hear/see why and not just "he's a flash in the pan/makes exciting plays once in a while but sucks otherwise".

This is an actual criticism, by the way. If you can't run a play by design and have to rely on a play breaking down, you're not going to do well long term.

Just now, ET80 said:

I've been saying it non stop - he's too reliant on off script playing. Pocket breaks down, he scrambles and makes a play, usually when a defender loses their assignment due to the off scripting. Keep him contained, force him to make throws against actual coverage that isn't breaking out of their assignment, you get today - a disaster that only gets worse as he tries to make something out of nothing. 

If you remember Case Keenum his rookie season, it was the exact same thing - he'd scramble around, uncork a bomb that would make the highlight reels, but would then turn the ball over four times that day because the defense got wise to it.

If Case Keenum is what you want, you've got him.

There's no doubt that he bails on the pocket too early, but that's more of a normal issue of a young QB trying to do too much/getting worried about pressure that isn't always there.

Most of why Jags fans are optimistic aren't because of those splash plays you're talking about. For the national media and this whole "Minshew mania" BS? Sure.

I'm guessing Minshew lost his job. That's a shame. I think he's shown enough that he should keep playing the entire year, and get more experience for better or worse. Don't believe sitting and learning is going to be more valuable than the amount of time he's already gained by being on the field. Jacksonville has a financial investment in Foles though, and that will get him back in the saddle. The margin for error with Minshew was too small.

Edited by PapaShogun