WR set next year

Killashaw

Draft class of 2020 is loaded with WR talent, so I assume we're going to draft at least  1 WR in the first 3 rounds. That being said, we have 2 locks for next year with Beasley and Brown. Hopefully, we can add Duke Willams to those 2.

But who are gonna be our other WR's? Who do you want? Snatching someone in FA, or draft 1/2 WR's from the new class?

Usually I'm huge of the draft and less on FA but in this case because we seem to be closer to winning then I expected I'd love to see AJ Green finish the season strong and healthy and we sign him to a 3-4 year deal.  Remember he can be elite when healthy the combo of AJ, Brown and Beasley with Knox taking the next step will be HUGE for us plus our O line will only get better the more they play together

I think it comes down to who is available in free agency, and where the bills pick in the draft which we all think can be in the late teens, if they make the playoffs then the early 20s. With the bills top needs being Pass Rush and big target WR are going to be tough to land both in the draft. If the bills can some how land Yannick or Clowney in FA and find a legit run stuffing DT, then im all for pulling in Atlanta move and trading up to get the top WR in the draft with pick 4 or 5 but I just dont see it happening. So if Amari or Aj Green are available in Free agency then pull the trigger and get one of them, as I can see Amari being the odd man out if Dak is tagged, you can put an offer on the table that Jerry may not be able to afford to pay him.

Edited by soflbillsfan

16 hours ago, Thelonebillsfan said:

Tbh I would focus our resources on a premier left tackle than a receiver.

Premier Left Tackle? Dawkins has been grading out as a solid LT not sure why you think that is a huge need. The issue has been more so on the right side then the left side. I think the biggest issue is Pass Rusher, having your DT lead the team in sacks is pretty pathetic. They need to bring in a legit pass rusher because murphy and lawson arent the answer and Hughes hasnt been his usual self this year compared to last. Also another run stuffing DT is a big need as well as the run defense hass given up 5 200+ yard rushing games in 3 years.

Edited by soflbillsfan

19 hours ago, bigbadbuff said:

Amari Cooper is a pipe dream but would be an unbelievable get

I completely agree with that but I also think landing a stud wr in the draft is a pipe dream as well based on the position the bills will be in and the cost it would take to move up to get one because I do not see one falling as this draft seems to be offensive top heavy this year.

To play devils advocate here...... are we sure WR is the big problem? I mean, stud WR would be great to have but if our franchise QB is constantly throwing the deep ball 10 yards over their head, what’s it matter? Also, does anybody think there has to be a guy on the street right now we could sign that would be better than Wallace??? 

19 hours ago, BillSabre said:

To play devils advocate here...... are we sure WR is the big problem? I mean, stud WR would be great to have but if our franchise QB is constantly throwing the deep ball 10 yards over their head, what’s it matter? Also, does anybody think there has to be a guy on the street right now we could sign that would be better than Wallace??? 

A big target is needed it will help less but yes the OC whether it is daboll or someone moving forward needs to limit the deep ball if Allen cant get it close to the WRs. The thing is he trained to not turn the ball over and be more cautious so hes been trying not to underthrow which caused the turnovers. Allen hasnt been that bad lately as he has been limiting his turnovers through the air. They just need to come up with a better game plan. I still think that Pass Rusher is the biggest need on the list, then I would say big Wr, then run Stuffing DT, then #2 CB.

Kevin Johnson has been stepping up and may take reps away from Wallace moving forward. Keep in mind he was a 1st rd pick and his main issue was staying healthy so his talent is still there. I also think Wallace is getting picked on more because of Tre shutting WR down, may need to have a Safety come over to assist more often. The CB issue is not that big of a deal it is kind of a concern but really not bad as the bills are the only team that hasnt allowed a 100+ yd receiver in a game yet.

On 11/14/2019 at 4:16 PM, soflbillsfan said:

I still think that Pass Rusher is the biggest need

Agreed!!

If we had a true pass rush we would have smoked the Browns as Mayfield gets flustered once taken off his first read. That final drive where they marched downfield and scored a touchdown I was aching for the days of Mario Williams or Aaron Schobel whom always used to come up with a perfectly timed sack in the 4th quarter that could seal a victory. Trent Murphy has 8 pressures on the year. Pathetic. Hughes is still a good player bust past his prime. 

Most people will expect us to target WR early in the draft but if we can get our hands on one of the top tier pass rushes, we need to do it.

4 hours ago, Trentwannabe said:

Agreed!!

If we had a true pass rush we would have smoked the Browns as Mayfield gets flustered once taken off his first read. That final drive where they marched downfield and scored a touchdown I was aching for the days of Mario Williams or Aaron Schobel whom always used to come up with a perfectly timed sack in the 4th quarter that could seal a victory. Trent Murphy has 8 pressures on the year. Pathetic. Hughes is still a good player bust past his prime. 

Most people will expect us to target WR early in the draft but if we can get our hands on one of the top tier pass rushes, we need to do it.

Trent Murphy is ranked 110th as a pass rusher only 8 pressures and 1 sack. Hughes is ranked 72nd, like you said maybe past his prime or his game is off based on play calling either way he is going to be a rotational guy moving forward. Shaq has improved but is way behind in rankings and I assume it is best they move on from him.

I know paying Clowney or Yannick would put them in a big salary but they can benefit from one of them plus drafting opposite.

Cut Murphy and Star will clear 10 mil on top of the 90 they have so they can afford to pay one of them if they want to buy in to buffalo.

I want a WR core of John Brown, Cole Beasley, Isiah McKenzie, Duke Williams and rookie Laviska Shenault or Justin Jefferson via draft

I'd like to address DL with a veteran productive edge guy thru FA or trade.

Jordan Phillips, Harrison Phillips, Ed Oliver and Corey Liuget works at DT. Star Lotuleilei is garbage and needs to go. We should save a few bucks if he gets released 

One of Trent Murphy or Jerry Hughes has to go. I'm ok with extending Shaq Lawson for 3-4 years. He's still inconsistent a bit but he's improving slowly year to year. He could be a steady DE

4 hours ago, BillsGuy82 said:

I want a WR core of John Brown, Cole Beasley, Isiah McKenzie, Duke Williams and rookie Laviska Shenault or Justin Jefferson via draft

I'd like to address DL with a veteran productive edge guy thru FA or trade.

Jordan Phillips, Harrison Phillips, Ed Oliver and Corey Liuget works at DT. Star Lotuleilei is garbage and needs to go. We should save a few bucks if he gets released 

One of Trent Murphy or Jerry Hughes has to go. I'm ok with extending Shaq Lawson for 3-4 years. He's still inconsistent a bit but he's improving slowly year to year. He could be a steady DE

Trent Murphy is garbage at this point and no way worth the 9 million he will be due this offseason. They will be able to clear 8.2 by letting him go. Cutting Star would clear 2.3 mil adding to their 90 mil cap space. Jordan Phillips may want to much and with Oliver being the future guy not sure if they will be willing to pay him unless mcdermott believes in continuation by rotating them constantly like they have.  As for Shaq he would need to come in fairly cheap, he has shown some promise at times but disappointment on others so he may hit the open market to see his worth. Bringing in a key FA pass rusher would and should be top priority. They have the funds to pay one if available. 

Just a simple question but with the benching of Trubisky last night and the struggles on Chicago's Offense would they be willing to move on from Mack for a 1st rd pick to get a qb that works for them as Trubisky has been overall disappointment? Maybe a deal can be in place to recoup some of what they gave up with Oakland by moving him. I doubt it happens but wouldnt be out of the realm if the HC thinks he is on the hot seat and cant get things going on offense.

My tune on WR has changed, originally thought it was the 2nd pressing need on the team after the season started. Then changed my tune to be #1 need but now I think its more of a #3 need at this point. 10 games now with John Brown having 50+ receiving yards he continues to show he is a #1 Wr on this team so getting a big target across from him not having to be the #1 guy could be a move in the 2nd round rather then giving up the farm to seek a #1 wr in the draft. He  just manages to make the plays and get open when need be so I dont see the bills having to go WR so early in the draft as I thought. My personal opinion is Pass Rush, Run Stuffing DT, and then #2 CB/#2 Wr as top needs with LB being the top 5 needs going in to 2020 offseason.

Extending Spain, Milano, Hyde, Poyer, Phillips, Tre would be on the list of players that should benefit from the 100 mil they plan to have on cap space.

2 hours ago, soflbillsfan said:

Extending Spain, Milano, Hyde, Poyer, Phillips, Tre would be on the list of players that should benefit from the 100 mil they plan to have on cap space.

This! 100x this.

I agree we should target a proven pass rusher in free agency but then these guys needs to be the focal point of the next two off-seasons. I don't expect us to be as busy as we were last year grabbing outside guys.

Quinton Spain and Jordan Phillips (who supposedly loves the city and has made some comments about wanting to re-sign) should be the main targets as they will be UFA. The Bills will obviously pick up the 5th year option for Tre which will secure him through 2021 for now. Matt Milano, John Feliciano, Jordan Poyer and Dion Dawkins are set to be free agents after next season. Bills will need every penny of the 100 mil or so they'll have to play with.