patriotsheatyan

Has McVay been overrated  

63 members have voted

1. 1. Has McVay been overrated

• Yes
    • No

3 minutes ago, ITS_RAMMY_PLAYBOI said:

So I’m right? 

I assumed you were talking about Vince Lombardi, so not technically.  But i'll give it to you anyway.  He's damn close.

I was pretty surprised to see Harbaugh near the top of the list.

18 minutes ago, theJ said:

I assumed you were talking about Vince Lombardi, so not technically.  But i'll give it to you anyway.  He's damn close.

I was pretty surprised to see Harbaugh near the top of the list.

I don’t consider that era to be real anyways. Bunch of farmers and so so guys were playing in that era. Not to mention less teams. Much like those Celtics with a bill who won 11 chips when there were like 8 teams. 

I think the answer is yes...because he was heralded as the new genius of offense, impervious to being schemed against.
But has continually been taken advantage of by the same things.

But he's not their biggest problem, and with better players and roster management would be just fine.

But you have a limited QB, behind a neglected OL, with a broken RB. The QB and RB being near the tops of highest paid. Then you have a DT and soon to be CB also paid the top money.

They will continue to lose depth and don't have the talent to overcome that regularly.
I think the bump in salary cap with the new CBA is coming at a great time for them, but that will be a short reprieve until these guys need another contract.

None of that is McVay's fault though. Unless he's giving the vote on those moves too.

They will be limited in what they can do until they fix their OL. The scheme and Goff don't work without that.

17 minutes ago, ITS_RAMMY_PLAYBOI said:

I don’t consider that era to be real anyways. Bunch of farmers and so so guys were playing in that era. Not to mention less teams. Much like those Celtics with a bill who won 11 chips when there were like 8 teams. 

Hey at the end of his career there were 14 teams!

2 minutes ago, Kiltman said:

I think the answer is yes...because he was heralded as the new genius of offense, impervious to being schemed against.

Part of this is because there are eleventy million media outlets and only 32 team/32 QBs to over-rate and under-rate

Build em up and knock em down is the easy script and it switches each week as the eleventy million outlets scramble for an angle to write about
Gotta feed that machine...and quality isn't on the menu.

3 minutes ago, theJ said:

Hey at the end of his career there were 14 teams!

All of the available talent divided by 14 or all of the available talent divided by 32 ?
Can't compare across Era's but that doesn't stop a Rammy-boi  from trying... (and failing)

In the future, there will be 50 teams around the globe and there will be un-enlightened fans throwing shade at Today's players, coaches and Championships ...because there were only 32 teams !!!!!!!!!!

37 minutes ago, Shanedorf said:

All of the available talent divided by 14 or all of the available talent divided by 32 ?
Can't compare across Era's but that doesn't stop a Rammy-boi  from trying... (and failing)

In the future, there will be 50 teams around the globe and there will be un-enlightened fans throwing shade at Today's players, coaches and Championships ...because there were only 32 teams !!!!!!!!!!

But you have to account for the growing population too!

36 minutes ago, theJ said:

But you have to account for the growing population too!

And you have to account for people living much longer too - just because there are more 70-90 year olds, doesn't mean there 2x more NFL players  :)

In the end, there's a reason that Championships are Forever.
They were the very best at that exact moment in time - and nobody can ever take it away from them.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Shanedorf said:

Are you trying to compare the quality of competitiveness? Because back then you legit had farmers. Everything is superior today. It’s not even close. 

Was he overrated? Absolutely. That doesn´t mean his not a good coach. But the put him in a pedestal so high and regarded as a genius, every assistant under him getting promotions around the league, so yeah he was overrated in that regard. He is not bad or a fraud by any means, only not living up to the unreal standards the media and some teams put on him 

Also as @N4L stated, McVay has only been a play caller 4-5 years. Very raw. While his offensive scheme is great and I still think he’s an offensive guru, he can get very vanilla and repetitive with his play calls. 

He certainly does not have the creativity and adjusting ability as Andy Reid, Kyle Shanahan, and Jon Gruden. Not yet. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

He wasn’t overrated at the time he was dominating. Bellichick set the blueprint for his offense and everyone is following it. He needs to re-evaluate and massively adjust. 

the blueprint was there, Bill just boiled it down to "Stopping McVay for Dummies"

I mean almost anytime they came against good DLs they didnt play well.