Has McVay been overrated?

patriotsheatyan

Has McVay been overrated  

63 members have voted

1. 1. Has McVay been overrated

• Yes
    • No

McVay has been something of an obsession around the league for two years. People have consistently overlooked just how different the Rams 2017 offensive personnel were compared to their 2016 offense and claimed McVay created almost all improvement. The league has looked everywhere to hire coaches with any association with McVay.

What do you think? How much did McVay benefit from the Rams unique level of talent the last two seasons?

6 minutes ago, patriotsheatyan said:

McVay has been something of an obsession around the league for two years. People have consistently overlooked just how different the Rams 2017 offensive personnel were compared to their 2016 offense and claimed McVay created almost all improvement. The league has looked everywhere to hire coaches with any association with McVay.

What do you think? How much did McVay benefit from the Rams unique level of talent the last two seasons?

Tough to know when you give league leading contracts to a QB/RB and then they both start playing terrible. 

How is he overrated?

He took a horrible Jeff Fisher team and led them to the playoffs the very next season

Then for an encore, he made it to the super bowl and lost to the best HC and QB of all time

He helped revive Gurley and Goff’s careers after they were both written off during Fishers last season 

and most importantly, he made the Rams relevant. 

Sure he has his shortcomings but which coach doesn’t other than BB? 

He’s only 32 years old. He’s younger than some of the players in the league. He’s gonna learn from his mistakes eventually  

Just because the team is not playing to the previous year’s dominance this season, it doesn’t mean he’s overrated

Remember BB before he arrived to the Pats?

Is he overrated as a coach? I don't think so. He deserved all the accolades he received and I think a lot of the stuff that he's fine is real and because of him.  Everyone talks about how Goff sucks, yet this is a coach that got to a super bowl with that same guy. He's not flawless, but nobody should have thought that to begin with.

I do think the league overreacted to finding "the next mcvay", but that's a separate issue in my opinion and had nothing to do with mcvay.

• Like 5

Depends on where one ranks him. I think he’s a good coach playing in a division with a bunch of other good coaches.

In terms of losing to Pittsburgh, have no idea why people bashed them. It was clear to me that they were always going to be the second team in this division as they’re coached by one of the best coaches in the game in Tomlin.

So McVay losing to all of that makes sense. That said, he’s now tied to Goff, who I think has regressed to the mean of his ability. So ultimately I see McVay experiencing enough underperforming seasons over the next year or two where he will be moved on from the Rams. Which will suck in the short term, but his next coaching spot he will be equipped with this experience for greater future success.

Edited by diamondbull424
  • Like 1

No I don't believe so. He's done a remarkable job turning around the Rams, a team that hadn't been relevant since the early 2000's. Hasn't had a losing season yet either. The public unfairly put him on a pedestal, and that's not his fault. Also, no matter how smart you are, there are still some things that you can't control. 

Edited by PapaShogun
  • Like 1

He hasn't been around the block enough times in the NFL yet. He's only been a play caller for what, 5 years? 

He has had an elite OL and the best running back in football since the day he stepped off the plane in LA. It's been smooth sailing for him and this is the first time he's even close to having a losing season. 

I think he is overrated slightly. Mainly because I think Kyle Shanahan is a better coach and should be rated higher than mcvay.

The offensive line sucks. The young players didn't step up like we hoped. There's not much we can do until that problem is resolved, which is unlikely to happen until the offseason. Playoffs seem to be off the table this year. Rams will have to try to eke out some wins with defense and just enough offense. But no, McVay isn't overrated. He'll be back. The Patriots are the exception. It's unrealistic to expect McVay to put up 13 wins every year. 

I don't think so. I think some front offices might have overrated him, in the sense that a bunch of GMs spending an offseason trying to find the next McVay was just a silly premise, but I do think he is a very good coach. If anyone was overrated there, I think it was Goff, and we're seeing that now. Even I was bought in, but he doesn't look like the elite guy who can transcend the situation. Just the kind of guy who can produce in an elite way in the right circumstances. But for McVay, the team is still 5-4. That's perfectly respectable. Outside of Belichick, no coach in the league is doing 12+ wins and the playoffs every year. All of the other top tier coaches, Reid, Carroll, Harbaugh, Tomlin, etc., have all had years at 9-7 or 10-6 where they squeaked into the playoffs, or missed it entirely. It doesn't take away from what he has done so far, though. And I don't know the specifics of the Rams season, but it's natural for teams to rise and fall a bit within their tier. Injuries, close games, SoS, can all shift things up and down year to year, so down years will happen. It's only an issue if it becomes the trend.

And even then, they could absolutely go on a roll and still end 12-4. I doubt it, but it's waaaaay too early for this kind of discussion, IMO.

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

The offensive line sucks. The young players didn't step up like we hoped. There's not much we can do until that problem is resolved, which is unlikely to happen until the offseason. Playoffs seem to be off the table this year. Rams will have to try to eke out some wins with defense and just enough offense. But no, McVay isn't overrated. He'll be back. The Patriots are the exception. It's unrealistic to expect McVay to put up 13 wins every year. 

It's going to be hard to get that resolved without any picks in the top 40 in this upcoming draft.

51 minutes ago, Jakuvious said:

I don't think so. I think some front offices might have overrated him, in the sense that a bunch of GMs spending an offseason trying to find the next McVay was just a silly premise, but I do think he is a very good coach. If anyone was overrated there, I think it was Goff, and we're seeing that now. Even I was bought in, but he doesn't look like the elite guy who can transcend the situation. Just the kind of guy who can produce in an elite way in the right circumstances. But for McVay, the team is still 5-4. That's perfectly respectable. Outside of Belichick, no coach in the league is doing 12+ wins and the playoffs every year. All of the other top tier coaches, Reid, Carroll, Harbaugh, Tomlin, etc., have all had years at 9-7 or 10-6 where they squeaked into the playoffs, or missed it entirely. It doesn't take away from what he has done so far, though. And I don't know the specifics of the Rams season, but it's natural for teams to rise and fall a bit within their tier. Injuries, close games, SoS, can all shift things up and down year to year, so down years will happen. It's only an issue if it becomes the trend.

And even then, they could absolutely go on a roll and still end 12-4. I doubt it, but it's waaaaay too early for this kind of discussion, IMO.

Goff is 25 years old. Anybody expecting a QB his age to be an elite guy who can transcend his circumstances had unrealistic expectations. We won't know what Goff is or isn't for another 3 to 5 years.

38 minutes ago, Swift21 said:

It's going to be hard to get that resolved without any picks in the top 40 in this upcoming draft.

Quality interior OLs can be had outside the top 40 picks. We'll have the resources to address the problem.

• Like 1