This Aint Packers Talk v69

CWood21

7 hours ago, St Vince said:

I'm convinced Wisconsin sports teams are cursed. Brewers, Bucks both one game from the finals and choke. I hate sports right now, NFL hurry up an get here!!!

Wisconsin teams have an MVP candidate in all three major sports and have made the final 4 in the last year in two of them.

Wisconsin sports are doing amazing.

The Brewers lost because they don't spend equal to the real contenders.

The Bucks lost on the high variability of the game of basketball. AKA, the role players not being able to throw a 3 point bucket in the ocean after the first two games. 

• Like 1

The Brewers are a have-not in MLB and are still able to compete.  Haven't they won 2 or 3 division titles in the last 10 years?  They are better than my #7 Cardinals, who just plain suck right now.

Also, it is amazing that the Bucks made the conference finals since there are only ever 5 NBA teams, and Milwaukee isn't ever one of them.

Wisconsin sports are doing fine.

ESPN: Bill Buckner, the longtime major leaguer whose error in the 1986 World Series for years lived in Red Sox infamy, died Monday. He was 69.

"After battling the disease of Lewy Body Dementia, Bill Buckner passed away early the morning of May 27th surrounded by his family," his family said in a statement. "Bill fought with courage and grit as he did all things in life. Our hearts are broken but we are at peace knowing he is in the arms of his Lord and Savior Jesus Christ."

When he retired in 1990, he and his family remained in Massachusetts. But the taunts and criticism from fans and media remained, forcing them to move to Idaho, where Buckner, an avid outdoorsman, bought a ranch.

"I really had to forgive, not the fans of Boston, per se, but I would have to say in my heart I had to forgive the media," Buckner said of why he decided to return to Fenway. "For what they put me and my family through. So, you know, I've done that and I'm over that."

In regard to AR's beer-chugging 'contest', I used to know a guy (we are talking almost 50 years ago, now) who was very, very quick at it. I asked him how he became so fast. He replied he was made to eat and drink stuff he disliked when he was young. As a consequence he learned to basically 'open his throat' when drinking, so the speed the beer goes down is limited only by the dimensions of your throat. There is no time-wasting swallowing. If you can't do that, you'll lose to a non-swallower every time.

Later....Looking at the internet, It is possible my associate actually did swallow once just before the beer hit the back of his throat, to open up his oesophagus. Having watched him in action, even if he did that, I could see that he never swallowed again in the time (between 3-4 secs) it took to down a pint.

@ThatJerkDave   Thrash Metal. Young man's music to bop to in your bedroom. When I was young (about 50 years ago) the best bounce-around music was something like Paint it Black (Stones), Ace of Spades (Motorhead) or Paranoid (Black Sabbath). 

I love a whole variety of genres (though T.Metal not so much). Here are six superb tracks that I like. I only listed the links, as the embedded big pictures with each track takes up too much room. Enjoy.

https://youtu.be/qXGZqnOpC3s   Sinead O'Connor, 'Sacrifice'. A troubled soul with a unique beautiful voice. Minimalistic, the heavy echo would overpower a lesser singer. Originally written by Elton John.

https://youtu.be/CTXAZluiT7A     Lightning Seeds 'Pure' (1990).  Musically simple, decent voice. Being such an evocative song of the 80's even though it is done in 1990, is what makes it special.

https://youtu.be/Yp2DvPKh118   Dr.Feelgood 'Roxette' (1975). One of the best loved live acts, often seen at car and especially motorbike gatherings. Great energy. If you like this, try the 15 minute, 4 song session at the Southend Kursaal (England) on youtube. Lead singer Lee Brilleaux's suit looks comparatively clean singing Roxette. At the Southend gig it looks like he's been under his car fixing it, before coming onstage , which he very likely was. Very down-to-earth band, happy to have a pint or two with the fans.

https://youtu.be/eRZ_Va4niUs      The magnificent and singular voice of Maddy Prior, with folk band Steeleye Span, singing 'All Around My Hat' (1976). Just a terrific song, full of enjoyment and feel-goodness. Good lyrics, about a woman rejecting advances of various young men as she carries a torch for another, far away.

https://youtu.be/AjGLMcrWrS8   This is a Reggae track. Pete Tosh and his take on Johnny B. Goode. Lovely roll-along groove, another excellent song.

https://youtu.be/DgTJZR60D3g  The totally bonkers Grace Jones has a good voice. Here she is singing 'Slave To The Rhythm'. Beautifully tight percussion. The Compass Point Sessions album (in a studio of that name in the Bahamas) was the best work she ever did.

So there it is, a good variety of tracks. There are scores of tremendous songs I could have picked (I do love my music, though i'm pretty picky), but these were the ones that came to mind at this time.

Edited by OneTwoSixFive
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, OneTwoSixFive said:

In regard to AR's beer-chugging 'contest', I used to know a guy (we are talking almost 50 years ago, now) who was very, very quick at it. I asked him how he became so fast. He replied he was made to eat and drink stuff he disliked when he was young. As a consequence he learned to basically 'open his throat' when drinking, so the speed the beer goes down is limited only by the dimensions of your throat. There is no time-wasting swallowing. If you can't do that, you'll lose to a non-swallower every time.

Later....Looking at the internet, It is possible my associate actually did swallow once just before the beer hit the back of his throat, to open up his oesophagus. Having watched him in action, even if he did that, I could see that he never swallowed again in the time (between 3-4 secs) it took to down a pint.

https://i.imgur.com/7jhLmMm.mp4

Like this? 

10 hours ago, Norm said:

That is seriously fast.

The only thing missing there, is that in the pint drinking contests I saw (in England), when you finished the glass you had to turn it upside down on top of your head.

Did you ever play drinking games. I remember playing 'fizz buzz'. If memory serves, you have a circle of drinkers, someone starts the count (you start from one and count upwards). Every number divisible by 3 you have to say 'fizz' instead of the number. Every number divisible by 5 is 'buzz' instead of the number. So to start it would go: one, two, fizz, four, buzz, fizz, seven eight, fizz, buzz, eleven, fizz, thirteen, fourteen, fizz-buzz (divisible by both), etc. When someone gets it wrong the next player on the left gets to specify the drink (which might be a horrible combination....or not), next one around pays for the drink, and the one who got the count wrong has to drink it.......repeat from the start. I do remember that once everyone has had a good deal, a simple tomato juice could see them racing for the door, to to do a technicolour yawn, outside.

I played a game similar to "fizz buzz."  I kept doing it wrong so I had to drink, people said I was ruining it, I replied, "not for me." :D  

There was a game called "screw the dealer" where you line up one of each card, Ace to King, each player gets two guesses for which card is picked.  If I am the dealer and I have a 4, and you choose 9, I tell you it is lower.  On your second guess you drink the difference between the numbers; so if you choose 7, you take 3 sips/gulps, whatever from your drink.  If you had guessed my card correctly on the first guess, I drink 10, if you guess my card correctly on the second guess I drink 5.  If I make it through three players failing to guess my card in a row, I pass the deck to the next person.  Once you get close to the end of the deck, it becomes a lot easier, and the dealer gets screwed.  When I guessed, I would always pick ace first, then king second :D

There was *******, which had a lot of rules... there was a hierarchy of rank after each game, so you got to boss everyone around that who finished lower than you the previous round, and the lowest player was "*******," who had to deal the cards.  I think it played out kind of like Uno from there.

Circle of Death.  Put the cards face down around a drink.  If you break the circle, you have to drink the drink.  Some variations were everyone pours about a shot of whatever they were drinking into a glass, an unopened beer can and you put the cards under the tab and when it pops you also lose, just a standard drink, or an empty cup and when you break the circle you just down whatever you have left in your drink.  If you take a red card, you assign drinks of the value of the card to other players, if you take a black card you drink the value of the card.  About a third of the cards had gimmicks assigned to them, I can't remember, usually something stupid.

Beer pong/Beirut.  I thought these were different games, but what I thought was Beirut is called beer pong by most.  Set up the cups in a triangle and get a ping pong ball in the cup to make the opposite team drink it and the first team to have no more cups left loses.  I thought that beer pong used a ping-pong paddle and that you just throw with Beirut, but I guess I learned incorrectly.   

• Like 1

On 5/26/2019 at 6:38 AM, AlexGreen#20 said:

Wisconsin teams have an MVP candidate in all three major sports and have made the final 4 in the last year in two of them.

Wisconsin sports are doing amazing.

The Brewers lost because they don't can't spend equal to the real contenders.

The Bucks lost on the high variability of the game of basketball and a lack of experience from their role players. AKA, the role players not being able to throw a 3 point bucket in the ocean after the first two games. 

Fixed.

When Stern rigged the Iverson-Kobe Finals years ago, I stopped cheering for the Bucks and was totally turned off to the NBA at that point. This year was the best chance the Bucks could ever win a title without some sort of controversial officiating or something else getting in the way and they blew it to a more experienced team with the most boring superstar in any league who took control of the series. Giannis will get a ring....after he leaves Milwaukee a la Kareem.

The Brew Crew needs to focus on their pitching at this point. Like normal, they have the bats and a decent bullpen, but they need to focus on improving what they have to have a shot. 

On 5/27/2019 at 3:38 AM, ThatJerkDave said:

The Brewers are a have-not in MLB and are still able to compete.  Haven't they won 2 or 3 division titles in the last 10 years?  They are better than my #7 Cardinals, who just plain suck right now.

Man....what has happened to that franchise? They still have Wacha, Wainright, Goldschmidt, and Molina and that's about it.

20 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

I played a game similar to "fizz buzz."  I kept doing it wrong so I had to drink, people said I was ruining it, I replied, "not for me." :D  

There was a game called "screw the dealer" where you line up one of each card, Ace to King, each player gets two guesses for which card is picked.  If I am the dealer and I have a 4, and you choose 9, I tell you it is lower.  On your second guess you drink the difference between the numbers; so if you choose 7, you take 3 sips/gulps, whatever from your drink.  If you had guessed my card correctly on the first guess, I drink 10, if you guess my card correctly on the second guess I drink 5.  If I make it through three players failing to guess my card in a row, I pass the deck to the next person.  Once you get close to the end of the deck, it becomes a lot easier, and the dealer gets screwed.  When I guessed, I would always pick ace first, then king second :D

There was *******, which had a lot of rules... there was a hierarchy of rank after each game, so you got to boss everyone around that who finished lower than you the previous round, and the lowest player was "*******," who had to deal the cards.  I think it played out kind of like Uno from there.

Circle of Death.  Put the cards face down around a drink.  If you break the circle, you have to drink the drink.  Some variations were everyone pours about a shot of whatever they were drinking into a glass, an unopened beer can and you put the cards under the tab and when it pops you also lose, just a standard drink, or an empty cup and when you break the circle you just down whatever you have left in your drink.  If you take a red card, you assign drinks of the value of the card to other players, if you take a black card you drink the value of the card.  About a third of the cards had gimmicks assigned to them, I can't remember, usually something stupid.

Beer pong/Beirut.  I thought these were different games, but what I thought was Beirut is called beer pong by most.  Set up the cups in a triangle and get a ping pong ball in the cup to make the opposite team drink it and the first team to have no more cups left loses.  I thought that beer pong used a ping-pong paddle and that you just throw with Beirut, but I guess I learned incorrectly.   

Ever play Chandelier?...

@Joe how does Chandelier play? A lot of those games are called different things regionally.  

I am with you on the Bucks.  I want to be a Bucks fan, but I have no real ties to Milwaukee and as long as the NBA only lets certain teams compete, I won't invest myself in their league.  I like basketball, but I get more enjoyment from watching a good game than I do any specific team.  If the Bucks re-sign Giannis, and keep a competitive team around him, I will become a fan.  I just don't think it will happen that way. 

As for the Cardinals...  @CWood21 is probably better to ask about them, I think he follows more closely.  We have had bad luck with injuries to Carlos Martinez and Alex Reyes.  I will say that Michael Wacha started his career looking like an Adam Wainwright clone, but he isn't that good, I don't know why, he just isn't.  I don't think the roster is bad.  I do think they are less than the sum of their parts, but maybe those are homer goggles.  I do still enjoy going though.  I have gone to 4 games so far, and they are 2-2.

20 hours ago, ThatJerkDave said:

@Joe how does Chandelier play? A lot of those games are called different things regionally.  

I am with you on the Bucks.  I want to be a Bucks fan, but I have no real ties to Milwaukee and as long as the NBA only lets certain teams compete, I won't invest myself in their league.  I like basketball, but I get more enjoyment from watching a good game than I do any specific team.  If the Bucks re-sign Giannis, and keep a competitive team around him, I will become a fan.  I just don't think it will happen that way. 

Chandelier is like flip cup, only the last person to get theirs flipped over is out.

Giannis will get traded to the Lakers to play with LeBron after next season when Milwaukee loses in the 2nd round. Book it. They'll trade Giannis and a role player like Mirotic for a bunch of picks, Lance Stephenson and whoever else LeBron wants to discard. The other players will see this and either demand a trade or walk after their contracts. Adam Silver will be behind it because he doesn't want the Lakers to erode any further than where they currently sit.

Edited by Joe
  • Like 1