2020 MLB Draft Thread (No Spoilers)

devils1854

2 hours ago, CWood21 said:

@devils1854 thoughts on the Cards' draft class?

I like Walker. I think he ends up in left or first by the time he is 25 because he will probably get even bigger. Power is legit. Pretty agile for now. Some swing and miss concerns. 21 is good value for him. I dont think he would have lasted to the comp round.

It looks like the Cards announced Wynn as a SS, which might be better in the long run. He is a better prospect as a pitcher, but he is small, so durability questions are there. He'll stick at short. Good speed. Bat is the question mark. If they are taking him strictly as a SS and have no plans of him pitching, then he was taken too high.

Dont know much about Hence.

Like Wynn, if you are taking Burelson strictly as a hitter, might not be good. He's a much better hitting prospect, but he's gonna take the LF/1B/DH path. He can be in a major league pen as a reliever, not high leverage, but he could pitch enough to keep getting put back out there.

Prater is a meh prospect. No pitch stands out, but the numbers were there in college. This is the type of guy that the Cardinals get the most out of, and he ends up in the back end of the rotation for a couple years.

Bedell would have benefited from a full college season because this was going to be his first time in the weekend rotation. Good Cape where he was sitting in the 90s, but was in the high 80s this year. Was it rust? Was the Cape a blip? Cold weather? Very good command and a couple of offspeed pitches with promise. Probably my favorite pick of the Cards draft.

No clue about LJ Jones

If Wynn and Burelson get a chance to pitch along with hit, Id give the draft a B-

If Wynn and Burelson are strictly position players, C

Edited by devils1854
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, devils1854 said:

I like Walker. I think he ends up in left or first by the time he is 25 because he will probably get even bigger. Power is legit. Pretty agile for now. Some swing and miss concerns. 21 is good value for him. I dont think he would have lasted to the comp round.

It looks like the Cards announced Wynn as a SS, which might be better in the long run. He is a better prospect as a pitcher, but he is small, so durability questions are there. He'll stick at short. Good speed. Bat is the question mark. If they are taking him strictly as a SS and have no plans of him pitching, then he was taken too high.

Dont know much about Hence.

Like Wynn, if you are taking Burelson strictly as a hitter, might not be good. He's a much better hitting prospect, but he's gonna take the LF/1B/DH path. He can be in a major league pen as a reliever, not high leverage, but he could pitch enough to keep getting put back out there.

Prater is a meh prospect. No pitch stands out, but the numbers were there in college. This is the type of guy that the Cardinals get the most out of, and he ends up in the back end of the rotation for a couple years.

Bedell would have benefited from a full college season because this was going to be his first time in the weekend rotation. Good Cape where he was sitting in the 90s, but was in the high 80s this year. Was it rust? Was the Cape a blip? Cold weather? Very good command and a couple of offspeed pitches with promise. Probably my favorite pick of the Cards draft.

No clue about LJ Jones

If Wynn and Burelson get a chance to pitch along with hit, Id give the draft a B-

If Wynn and Burelson are strictly position players, C

I think They announced Wynn as both SS and Pitcher. 

On 6/12/2020 at 10:57 PM, e16bball said:

Mayo and Baumler were both significant overslots.

It’s not like they just ate that pool money. They just sat on it until the 4th and 5th rounds, where they took a couple tough sign/big talent HS kids who most people assumed were locked in to their college commitments.

If you follow Tony, the owner of OH, he's very bullish on Mayo and Baumler and says that those two, along with Kjerstad, gave the Orioles three first round talents in this draft.  

14 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

If you follow Tony, the owner of OH, he's very bullish on Mayo and Baumler and says that those two, along with Kjerstad, gave the Orioles three first round talents in this draft.  

There were a lot of really talented prospects in this draft that could have been argued as first round talents. Those 2 are not in that group.

Good upside, but not close to first rounders. 

On 6/12/2020 at 4:45 PM, e16bball said:

Curious which opportunity(or opportunities) you feel they missed. Not taking Martin, as many seemed to think they would? Not springing for one of the higher-end tough sign guys like Kelley or Wilcox? Both?

If the draft had ended after round 3, I definitely would have agreed with you. But they cleaned up in the last two rounds, which makes me feel better about their overall plan. Mayo and Baumler are pretty high end talents to add to a draft class.

Clearly they felt it was better to diversify in this draft. Which, given the relative lack of information on these players and the resulting uncertainty, seems perhaps wise to me. They evidently didn’t feel comfortable putting too many eggs in one basket — whether that basket was Martin at #2 or one of the tough sign HS kids at #30/#39. 

I always like to hear your input, so if you get a chance, let me know where you think they really dropped the ball — early or later on?

I think they came away with the same quality of draft that they could have gotten had they been picking 10th, maybe later.  They needed to hit a home run.  They had 3 picks in the top 39, and only had one surefire top 40 talent (not a fan of Westburg).  The big overslot prep players they took were 3rd-4th round guys and it seems like they switched directions at the last second and just took two prep players at random and agreed to their huge bonuses.  One of the Westburg/Haskin picks should have been Jared Kelley/Cole Wilcox/ Dax Fulton/JT Ginn if they wanted to play the overslot game right. They probably still would have had enough room in the bonus pool for a Mayo or Baumler later on, given the big savings they should be getting from the big underslot of Kjerstad.  

tl;dr - They didn't get the tippy top talent by playing the draft straight, and did (IMO) a miserable job at manipulating the largest draft bonus pool in the league.