2020 MLB Draft Thread (No Spoilers)

devils1854

54 minutes ago, kyle21121 said:

So the Jays got perhaps the best player at 5?

Potentially. So much of the draft is projecting. Martin has a ton of tools at a position that is a premium. He's athletic, but also possess fantastic hitting capability (projected). Best comparison I saw was Keston Hiura but without the defensive concerns

3 hours ago, Slateman said:

Potentially. So much of the draft is projecting. Martin has a ton of tools at a position that is a premium. He's athletic, but also possess fantastic hitting capability (projected). Best comparison I saw was Keston Hiura but without the defensive concerns

While also providing value on the basepaths.  Martin could be an absolute monster if all goes right.

13 hours ago, mse326 said:

I like it. Abel looks like he can be a stud. Heart was rooting for home town kid in Bitsko, but head says this was the right pick.

I really like Abel.  There were some small rumblings that the Cubs were on him if he made it to them, but now we'll never know.  

13 hours ago, Eagles27 said:

Red Sox with the first who is that guy pick.

Yeah, that was a doozy.  I had seen his name before, but didn't spend too much time since he was mostly ranked outside of the top 100 prospects, and prep guys ranked back there aren't likely to be signing this year.  Unless of course they are popped at 17.  

13 hours ago, Eagles27 said:

A little surprised Walker went in round 1. Massive upside, but a lot of risk here. 

Thought he would go in the second like Hinds did last year. 

Same, although Hinds had age going against him as well.  

13 hours ago, malibuspeedrace said:

What’s the prospectus for Carson Tucker?

No tool that will wow you right now, but he's a solid guy across the board and should stick at SS.  He is still growing as well, so there may be some more potential there.

12 hours ago, Eagles27 said:

Nice pick for the A's. 

Surprised he fell this far. 

Me too.  End the Catcher shenanigans and just put the kid in the OF and watch that bat develop.  One of my favorite picks in the 1st round.

12 hours ago, CWood21 said:

Should I like the pick for the Cards?

You should like the potential in his bat.  Plenty of power coming from his big frame.  Typical 1B-only concerns with a prep guy that is already huge and not a tremendous athlete.  

11 hours ago, winitall said:

The Tigers have to be taking Jared Kelley at 2.1 tomorrow right? I know as fans we always want our team to grab the sliding big name, but I feel like it fits if they think they can sign him. The front office absolutely loves taking pitchers, especially guys that throw hard at a young age. Especially when you consider almost all the pitching prospects in the system seem like they are all going to come up around the same time in Mize, Manning, and Faedo. It feels like not only is Kelley the top prospect on the board, but he also fits an area of need.

You have to assume Kelley has floated a huge number out there.  Like an Al Leiter-type number.  It was $4 million, right?  

9 hours ago, beekay414 said:

Absolutely have to cuz it's 100% a ground ball, gap power type swing. We probably won't because we haven't done it with Turang either and we're **** a developing hitting. 

Yeah, I hate Mitchell's swing.  He has that raw power, but it's a 95% chance he's a slightly better Sam Fuld to me.  That 5% could be something special though, if that swing is successfully reworked. He was one of the guys I didn't want the Cubs drafting, and they had been tied to Mitchell in a bunch of mock drafts.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, hrubes20 said:

You should like the potential in his bat.  Plenty of power coming from his big frame.  Typical 1B-only concerns with a prep guy that is already huge and not a tremendous athlete.  

I hadn't seen anyone suggest he's a 1B-only type.  Most of the reports I've seen is that he should be able to handle third for the foreseeable future, but cOF could also be a long-term solution for him.

1 hour ago, hrubes20 said:

Yeah, I hate Mitchell's swing.  He has that raw power, but it's a 95% chance he's a slightly better Sam Fuld to me.  That 5% could be something special though, if that swing is successfully reworked. He was one of the guys I didn't want the Cubs drafting, and they had been tied to Mitchell in a bunch of mock drafts. 

It's true, the Brewers track record with longer, toolsy, left handed, California-based outfielders who are an increase in power away from becoming a complete player hasn't been great recently. There was that one guy though, whatever his name was....

15 hours ago, GSUeagles14 said:

welp, that kinda sucked.

Forgot about Shuster. Id take almost all of the 10 players I didnt want over him. Im not going to get pissed yet. Ill wait to see what they do with their last picks, but the rumors are they love Cole Henry for their next pick, and I think he is a reliever like Shuster, so........The high school guys in the 4th and 5th better be worth it, because this is underwhelming as hell. I hate AAs draft strategy.